Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Recent viewings:1)Silent French film,simple story,beautiful scenes!2)3)4)Repast,Sound Of The Mountain,Flowing,three movies by Mikio Naruse about life of everyday people in post war Japan,focusing more on the female character,5)6)Lady From Shanghai was a rewatch but Touch Of Evil was something new for me,wow!! every shot from this movie was perfect!7)indie movie ,it's a
90-minute interview with a black hustler who ''spills his guts'' 8)this looks perfect in Hi-def,9)Workprint version,a bit different music and narration,10)11)12)just a revisit to this great Korean trilogy,13)not great,the message is there though!14)Russian film about a junkie in a mental institution,with many wtf scenes ,I don't know what was real or not! 15)nothing new here, it gives some answers ok but creates a lot more questions ,they should have let some scenes they deleted ,16)very good movie but not a James Bond film,maybe a spin off, Jarvier Bardem was excellent
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nos what did you make of Dean Spanley?

I loved it, a quircky, little gem of a film with fine performances.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nos what did you make of Dean Spanley?

I loved it, a quircky, little gem of a film with fine performances.
I had no idea what to expect as I recorded it when it was on Sky Premiere a year or two ago (there was a trailer for the 'upcoming new series' of 24 before the film!), so watched it with a completely open mind.

Quirky is definitely the right word to describe it as the film is about getting a priest drunk so you can listen to him talk about his past life as a dog whilst Peter O'Toole is avoiding coming to terms with his son's death in the Boer War.

The performances are all really good and it's funny, touching and moving – I really enjoyed it so I'm really glad I recorded it when I did.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Another pictorial record of what I've seen from last Monday-Sunday:

Where's that Sorcerer from Nos??? Is it the old 4:3 one?? (shudders)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:16 PM
Cult Master

I have just watched Fulci's "Manhattan Baby", and all I can do is quote from the back of the DVD box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD case
A succinct plot synopsis is frankly near impossible but here goes: There's a possessed Egyptian amulet, what looks like a gate to hell and rip-off moments from a variety of classic genre films including The Exorcist, The Awakening, The Birds, The Omen and most notably Rosemary's Baby.
Exactly. What have I just watched?

Also, what is the music that was used? It sounded very familiar. My fiancee said that she thought it was from 'Suspiria', but I laughed at her, and said that I thought it came from 'The Beyond'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
What's The Task like Nos? I always see the bluray in That's Entertainment in their 2 For £5 offer but never bother with it. Is it worth it?
The Task is worth watching, and if you enjoy it it's worth seeking out a film called GHOST GAME, Ghost Game [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Sarawut Wichiensarn: Film & TV I'm not sure if the task is meant to be a remake or not but it borrows A LOT from this film.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Amour

Haneke’s latest knocked me for six. Brought up memories of my granddad caring for my nan who had Alzheimer’s. Had me a blubbering wreck by the end. Then I came out into the cinema foyer, saw the poster, and welled up all over again. Not cool… Stunning film though, the cold as ice director can do intense, heartfelt human drama too! Getting a lump in my throat now just thinking about it. Another top 5 of the year contender for sure (in a mighty fine film year!)

I caught this last week, unbelievably good film... I wondered what the hell I was doing there for the first hour, but somehow couldn't take my eyes off the screen by the end. challenging to say the least!
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

December 2nd.

Offspring (2009)

Yet another take on the legend of Sawney Bean. The offspring of a clan of cave dwelling mutants attack coastal homes to satisfy thier hunger. This Jack Ketchum penned film was potentially a good watch knowing what his stories are like. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Having children as the killers could have been interesting however the usual modern horror drawbacks soon took hold. The film was mainly shot in pitch black with only the reds and oranges of a flickering fire as lighting and any gore was offscreen or too fast or dark to make out. Even at 76 minutes including end credits this film felt overlong.

Due Date (2010)

The prescence of Robert Downey Jr had me hoping for a fun film despite its negative reviews on release. Critics know nothing i always think when they hammer a film i enjoyed. Alas, sometimes said critics are spot on.

After a potentially amusing set up during the first twenty minutes i was ready to enjoy this, however the story became more and more ridiculous and although Downey Jr was thankfully at least watchable his co-star Zack Galifianakis was painful to the eyes. Unfunny and lacking any sort of charisma. He was excruciating to watch. I don't really think the film would have worked with another actor either though, a comedy relies on its script and in this case after twenty minutes there wasn't a single scene or gag to make me even smile never mind laugh. Even the dog was unfunny.

Avoid at all costs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OffspringDVD.jpg (46.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely agree with you about Due Date. I recorded it when it was on Sky Movies and thought it was terrible, overstaying its welcome after 30 to 40 minutes.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:23 PM
Cult Addict

I really liked 'Due Date'. Then again, I think I've liked every comedy film reviewed on here that everyone else disliked.

Like this? Share it using the links below!