Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 08:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also if you like afro samurai then watch SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, its the show that afro samurai wishes it was!

Good starting point for newbies I would suggest would be that, or cowboy beebop, beserk or black lagoon.
I always describe Samurai Champloo as Cowboy Bebop back in the Samurai era, with Hip Hop instead of jazz
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th December 2012, 08:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

There's also a studio Ghibli...
Old 6th December 2012, 09:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Recently watched DVDs:
Dead Heat (1988)
Slugs (1988)
Castle Freak (1995)

All reasonably entertaining flicks.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sale Possible Spoilers

Swamp Shark (2011) A mutant armoured shark is accidentally let loose into a swamp where it quickly begins to chomp its way through the local population. A group of people led by a federal agent who is investigating the local sheriff for trafficking in exotic animals and the owner of a local restuarant set off to hunt for the aquatic beast. Along the way they also search for the restuarant owners sister who has sneaked out to party. After rescuing the sister the hunters then pursue the shark as it heads for the local Gator Fest festival! A cheap Jaws knock off which also rips off several similar scenes in that movie the best of which results in a fairly funny injoke regarding the end of that classic. All in all a typical SyFy creature feature!

Lifeforce (1985) Vampires, Zombies, spaceships flashy lights and a naked Mathilda May and what have you got? Great fun in the form of Lifeforce! Ok the acting is crap, the film itself isnt the best and yet 1h 51m just fly by! The movie certainly isnt without its faults and seems to have had a troubled production, just read the trivia notes on imdb. The story: A Shuttle discovers an alien spacecraft inside a comet and go to investigate. (Always a bad move!). They find three survivors onboard in suspended animation and bring them to Earth, (Yet another bad move!). Once on Earth the survivors re-animate and soon its realized that the three are vampires that survive by taking the lifeforce from their victims! The female vampire escapes and the chase begins while the two male vampires begin the process of havesting the lifeforce of London's population. All I can say is if Mathilda May were to start collecting lifeforces I'd be first in line!
Old 6th December 2012, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
It was the jarring effect that saved the film for me. The early bulk of it was annoying me - yet another tedious Brit ultra-realist gangster/domestic effort that would never live up to Dead Man's Shoes - but then just as I was wearying ultimately, BOOM! it became interesting.

The end saved it from being consigned to the "Ken Loach bin" of my mind, and I ended up liking the whole.
Each to their own then. Nothing will live up to DMS imo anyhow.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th December 2012, 11:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also if you like afro samurai then watch SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, its the show that afro samurai wishes it was!

Good starting point for newbies I would suggest would be that, or cowboy beebop, beserk or black lagoon.
Fair enough. I recommended Afro samurai as I felt it was aimed at an older audience than Samurai Champloo.

And you actualy like Elfin Lied? I can't think of anything that made me more angry in an anime tha, THAT scene. I litteraly wretched when I saw it.
Salo is one thing, but those people where 16-18 at least. It's alot easier to view people of that age in awkward situations. But a lolicon 8 year old? **** that shit.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Never seen any anime and can't imagine getting into it! It just seems like.....Pokemon for adults!
Cough Satoshi Kon cough. Never say never ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th December 2012, 11:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
And you actualy like Elfin Lied? I can't think of anything that made me more angry in an anime tha, THAT scene. I litteraly wretched when I saw it.
Salo is one thing, but those people where 16-18 at least. It's alot easier to view people of that age in awkward situations. But a lolicon 8 year old? **** that shit.
Isn't it a cartoon though?

No actual people involved. Drawings.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Isn't it a cartoon though?

No actual people involved. Drawings.
Anime. Completely different median to Cartoons.

And yes, what is being depicted is unpleasent. It's ectremely graphic as well, so it make's the 15 rating even more ludicrous.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:39 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Night of the Hunter: superlative stuff. That is all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!