Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 11:59 AM
Cult Addict

The 'burn all copy's on site' was just a phrase I used to say 'avoid'. Hope that clarify's that. And Goji, what sound's more sleazy? Masojonistic 'experiments' performed by a bunch of ex-nazi's on 18 year olds. A father raping his own daughter followed by a prolonged scene of child beating. The child is 8 years old.
I know what's worse for sure. And just because it's animated doesn't make it any less wrong. Animation is often used as a window for more liberal actions, but this take's the biscuit and violates it.

Oh and once again, no. All anime is animation. All cartoons are animation. Not all animation is either cartoons or anime. They are two different giant's all together.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
The 'burn all copy's on site' was just a phrase I used to say 'avoid'. Hope that clarify's that. And Goji, what sound's more sleazy? Masojonistic 'experiments' performed by a bunch of ex-nazi's on 18 year olds. A father raping his own daughter followed by a prolonged scene of child beating. The child is 8 years old.
The child isn't real. It's a drawing. A fictional drawing.

Quote:
Oh and once again, no. All anime is animation. All cartoons are animation. Not all animation is either cartoons or anime. They are two different giant's all together.
I have no idea what your definition of "cartoon" is. A cartoon is a drawn animation - ie not stop motion. If the film has been drawn - by hand or on a computer - then it is a cartoon.

Bugs Bunny is cartoon, Fantasia is a cartoon, Toy Story is a cartoon and all anime are cartoons.

All anime are cartoons, not all animation is cartoons. All cartoons are animation.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
No, I understood it. The explanations where utter tosh only holding relevance to the plot, no empaphy could be felt between any of the characters at all. Lucy, the serial killer with the dual personality complex, the wincest couple (...), and the little girl who drown's herself to ecape the horrid world she live's in where ass hat's are happy to be payed to terminate minors. No one has any kind of interesting personality trait that make's us like them, and because of this the 'moral' of the story is completely negated. In the end of the day it was just an unpleasent gore and nudity fest with a handful of truely unpleasent scenes. Now mindless gore and nudity I relish, but when it's coupled with genuine malice, it's just pointless and grating.
So you didn't get it. Thats ok, I'm thinking though other people should really see the scene in context, and the fact that you don't actually see the rape. The scene is creepy enough but its more implied than shown and I just find your reaction to it a little over the top. I don't think the series was a major classic but I thought it provided me with food for thought, you asked me how I could like it and I gave my reasons.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Never seen any anime and can't imagine getting into it! It just seems like.....Pokemon for adults!
That's what I thought about anime years ago but, after watching films like Akira, Perfect Blue and those from Studio Ghibli, plus some TV series, I completely changed my mind.

It's something where you need to rent a couple of the highly regarded films, both from Hayao Miyazaki and more adult-oriented output and watch them with an open mind. I'd be surprised if you're disappointed.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Dammit! I got Perfect Blue after the last time this subject came up and I cannot for the life of me find it! Still haven't seen it.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Is Perfect Blue the one that's meant to have been an inspiration on Black Swan?
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Dammit! I got Perfect Blue after the last time this subject came up and I cannot for the life of me find it! Still haven't seen it.
You'll have to have a proper sort out and see if it turns up at the bottom of a pile of DVDs! Another title which is really worth checking out and I should have mentioned in my previous post is Ghost in the Shell, described as "A stunning feat of modern animation, Ghost in the Shell offers a thoughtful, complex treat for anime fans, as well as a perfect introduction for viewers new to the genre."
Old 6th December 2012, 02:19 PM
Cult Addict

The way I see it we cant agree on the appropriate nature of the scene so ill play the good man and step down for now, ill just say one thing though. I would protest just as loudely if it had been live action.

Oh and Goji, animation is a medium of entertainment, cartoons (american or european et al) and anime (Japanese) are two sub medians of this medum. Calling all anime cartoons is like calling all romantic comedys horror movies.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Oh and Goji, animation is a medium of entertainment, cartoons (american or european et al) and anime (Japanese) are two sub medians of this medum. Calling all anime cartoons is like calling all romantic comedys horror movies.
A cartoon is an animated motion picture. That's all. Country of origin, story, mood - all irrelevant.

I have no idea what you think "cartoon" means. I particularly don't see what country it is from has to do with anything.

As you say, animation is a medium of entertainment (though this is a crass simplification). It includes stop motion animation, collage animation and drawn animation. The drawn animations are cartoons. It's all tremendously simple to understand.

"Anime" is a term to describe (a style of) Japanese cartoons. It does not describe anything separate from cartoons, but cartoons from a specific film industry with a certain look. It is both correct and acceptable to refer to anime as cartoons. Because they are.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:29 PM
Cultist

I do like a lively debate!

alas, all I have to contribute is a mediocre question... like a few others, I have avoided anime like the plague due to the mistaken belief that it is 'below' the kind of stuff I would usually watch. considering that I'm a member of this forum, you'll have a rough idea of my usual film diet, someone recommend me something to go and watch?

a mate of mine has already told me to go and rent a season of DBZ, but I fear the recommendation of 'it's violent, you'll like it' might do a slight disservice to my taste

Like this? Share it using the links below!