Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2014, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Don't worry trebor, as good as 'Eraserhead' is, his later films are even better - 'Lost Highway' and 'Mulholland Drive' are absolute classics. 'Blue Velvet' isn't far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Fixed forth kind score now.

Started watching eraserhead and all I can say is

Finished eraserhead and that's has to be one of the most bizarre ,disturbing and nightmarish films I have ever seen. Fantastic use of imagery and sound, a film to put anyone of wanting to be a parent. A classic and a shame it's taking me so long to get around to watching it, can't wait to see the rest of his movies in the set only thing is I can't see any if them being as good 10/10

Next up think I will start on my Friday the 13th boxset
Old 8th May 2014, 09:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Visited the Kino this evening to see McG's latest effort the Kevin Costner vehicle 3 Days to Kill. A pleasant surprise, this manages to get the balance between the action (Costner as a CIA hit man), soap opera (who returns to Paris to try to rebuild relationships with his estranged wife and daughter) and comedy. Enjoyable if unmemorable and well worth giving it a chance.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

Baron Blood.

FINALLY getting stuck into my Arrow BAVA discs. BB is a frankly long underrated gothic classic that has thankfully had the critical reappraisal it long deserved. A young student, and ancestor of the infamous 'Baron blood' a notorious sadist and murderer heads back to his homeland to discover his roots. There he meets the gorgeous elke sommer who is renovating the castle. He decides to impress her with a bit of occultism and they end up resurrecting the Baron who is soon up to his usual tricks!

BB has some flaws admittedly, but mainly from the story and certainly not the direction. In fact it really highlights Bava's skill that he took a fairly middle of the road story and brought all the best out of it and produced the film we have today.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Espiritismo (1962)

Satan gives a woman three wishes in this Mexican version of the classic tale The Monkey's Paw.

A nicely made film with a well written script. The Monkey's Paw part of the story doesn't kick in until the final third. However, up to this point we've been treated to some well rounded characters and an intelligent story about the dangers of lending money, even to family members, and the price you pay for trying to recoup your losses.

The film features some eerily atmospheric seance scenes leading up to the anticipated entrance of the Devil himself. The monkey's paw, when it finally arrives, is replaced by a disembodied human hand, adding a macabre gruesomeness to the finale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiritism.jpg (89.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 9th May 2014, 07:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Fixed forth kind score now.

Started watching eraserhead and all I can say is

Finished eraserhead and that's has to be one of the most bizarre ,disturbing and nightmarish films I have ever seen. Fantastic use of imagery and sound, a film to put anyone of wanting to be a parent. A classic and a shame it's taking me so long to get around to watching it, can't wait to see the rest of his movies in the set only thing is I can't see any if them being as good 10/10

Next up think I will start on my Friday the 13th boxset
Wild at heart is one of my faves from that boxset
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Espiritismo (1962)

Satan gives a woman three wishes in this Mexican version of the classic tale The Monkey's Paw.

A nicely made film with a well written script. The Monkey's Paw part of the story doesn't kick in until the final third. However, up to this point we've been treated to some well rounded characters and an intelligent story about the dangers of lending money, even to family members, and the price you pay for trying to recoup your losses.

The film features some eerily atmospheric seance scenes leading up to the anticipated entrance of the Devil himself. The monkey's paw, when it finally arrives, is replaced by a disembodied human hand, adding a macabre gruesomeness to the finale.
Loving yr new avatar Dem btw

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th May 2014, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Loving yr new avatar Dem btw
Thanks Dcrat.

The raven will return!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:37 PM
Cult Master

I watched 'Sherlock Holmes' yesterday

Wasn't impressed. I found it very confusing, but I also wanted the Holmes and Watson characters to be more like those portrayed by Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce

Much more enjoyable was the Beatles film 'Help', which, due to the 'racist' nature of the movie (i.e English actors playing Eastern stereotypes) is probably unlikely to be seen on television in the near future!
Rondadoronron likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th May 2014, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched point break earlier, i had heard so much good stuff about this movie that I watched it with good expectations and to be honest I wasn't disappointed. Fantastic piece of action and after watching I'm happy that Gerard butler isn't taking the role of bodhi: a character excellently portrayed by Patrick swayze. 9/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th May 2014, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

PATRICK
I've always loved this one and it has never looked better than on Severin's Blu ray edition. Apparently, the central role was originally intended for Jenny Agutter, but I'm glad it went to Susan Penhaligon. She's a very natural actress and gives another great performance here.

FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL
Terence Fisher's direction and some splashes of ( then ) modern gore make for an interesting final outing for Hammer's Baron. Not classic Hammer, but the asylum setting and the grim tone are rather apt considering it was pretty much the end of an era.Terrific looking print too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!