Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2011, 04:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely hate MANIAC, I think it's one of the worst films ever made. (IMO of course)
Kyle likes this.
Old 17th May 2011, 05:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A lot of people have criticised BU's transfer of Maniac, but I think the heavy grain suits the film perfectly.

It's a transfer that's NEVER going to look crystal clear (and nor should it), and as you say, it's probably the best it's ever going to look.

I love the film; and it contains one of the best head-shot kills in cinema history!
The head explosion is the best, playing in slow motion just amplified the effect too.

It's a shame it didn't look better but I'm sure if it could have then Blue Underground would have.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th May 2011, 05:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely hate MANIAC, I think it's one of the worst films ever made. (IMO of course)
I wouldnt say one of the worst , But i do think it is rubbish boring and EXTREMELY overated...as i recall when i watched it i was that bored i was more interested in looking to see what things he got lying around his bedroom and thinking (cant remember exactly what item) oh i like that ???
Old 17th May 2011, 05:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I wouldnt say one of the worst , But i do think it is rubbish boring and EXTREMELY overated...as i recall when i watched it i was that bored i was more interested in looking to see what things he got lying around his bedroom and thinking (cant remember exactly what item) oh i like that ???
It is rather slow paced, I must admit but the gore and the weirdness makes up for it in my eyes. It's a film that I watched when I was like 10 and loved it at the time so it has a nostalgic effect on me

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th May 2011, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Is Maniac worth getting just on dvd then? Is it much of a difference?

I just watched The House By the Cemetery, the first time I watched the Arrow dvd since getting it. Really enjoyable as ever, I actually forgot about the ending
Old 17th May 2011, 11:06 PM
Cultist

Just watched A Prophet. I thought it was ok. Nothing special. Give me Scum, Midnight Express, Ghosts of the Civil Dead or Shawshank Redemption any day.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:37 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Horror High", hokey fun with a great soundtrack and stomping of a gym teacher.

"The Creeping Terror", typical late 50s, early 60s sci-fi nonsense however for some reason the monster, which is a cross between a pantomime bean stalk and a quilt, disturbed me in some vaguely sexual way? Anyone here a psychologist?
Old 17th May 2011, 11:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just finished watching the remake of The Mechanic, very good Stathem movie, changed abit from the Bronson original but has some very well done action scenes and it's quite violent for a 15. At least this time around Stathem is taking direction from an established action director, Simon West (Con Air) and it's done very well...
Old 18th May 2011, 07:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Is Maniac worth getting just on dvd then? Is it much of a difference?
Um I'm not sure really because I last watched it on DVD 8 years ago or so but I honestly don't remember it looking that bad on DVD. Although I was young and didn't think too much about PQ and stuff. I'm sure it's a slight improvement, I mean it has to be, right?. I guess it's worth upgrading if you're more into the special features as there are a few good interviews and commentarys etc.

Old 18th May 2011, 08:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

http://www.bongofthedead.com/images/poster4-full.jpg

BONG OF THE DEAD(2011)D:Thomas Newman

I headed down to the premiere of this film on a dark and dismal rainy Sunday evening.

As I passed the abundant pamphlet slinging Jehovah Witnesses at the Skytrain station who were out in full force possibly knowing something evil was in the air.Speaking of the air ,East Vancourites are no strangers to the odor of pot however that night via the patrons waiting in line were bestowed wavers of weed that would rival that of any marijuana smoke in protests the city of Vancouver has been known for.Which was a perfect set up of what I was in for Boobs,bud,blood and more bud and that was just in the line up to get in.

It's Potheads Vs The Evil Dead when after the world has been over run with zombies one stoner discovers that dehydrated Zombie brains makes really great fertilizer which in turns produces super potent hybrid weed.When all the new weed is gone as well as the new fertilizer the stoner with his dunder headed friend decide to head to the zombie infested Danger zones to round up some more Zombie heads.However unknown to them a goose stepping light in the loafers evil leader has rallied up the undead and now is leading them into a revolt against the living.

Trying not to let all the hype and online praise for this film (all of which was correct by the way) ruin the film .I wanted to go into this film clear headed as possible. All the preshow haze didn't help at all.While I did know I was going to be greatly entertained I did not know what a bombardment my senses were going to be in for.I was somewhat expecting to be somewhat wined and dined my senses but it turned out to be more like it roofied my drink and while it sexually pleasured it self in my mouth it fondled my balls and violated my anus with it's unwashed fingers leaving me and my senses a little disarrayed but somewhat satisfied while lying in my own juices.

Shot in 15 days for $5000 first time Director Thomas Newman turned up his nose at film schools and decided to follow his dream by making his own film learning while he made it. Along for the ride helping Thomas were several friends all of which with several years experience in the movie business.Thomas' ace in his pocket was Celebrity make up artist Mike Fields.for those who may not first recognize that name or may have failed to catch his several credits in various TV shows and major Hollywwod films.You have have however guaranteed have seen his work in various Horror Magazines(FANGORIA ,RUE MORGUE etc etc)TV shows (Masters Of Horror and Fringe to name just a few) and several and I mean several horror movies way to numerous to mention

Not only did Thomas Newman end up making one of the most unique modern zombie films which is quickly being called everything from a Modern Cult Classic to"The Citizen Kane Of Zombie films".But got Rue Morgue not just mention this film in a little blurb in it's publication but it ran a full page praise of it in a recent Issue.Still if that wasn't impressive enough BONG OF THE DEAD is the first and only Canadian independent film to be accepted in the prestedious Cannes Film Festival.However the biggest acomplishment for me was how many Vancouverites he got to attend his premiere on a cold and rainy Sunday night even when there was a Canucks playoff game on he still managed to get a full house.

So if you're going to see just one zombie film go see DAWN OF THE DEAD
If you're going to see just one Zombie Comedy go see Shaun OF THE DEAD
But if you're going to see just one Zombie comedy horror about pot go see BONG OF THE DEAD

http://www.bongofthedead.com/images/poster2-full.jpg

Bong Of The Dead - A Movie By Thomas Newman
Kyle and antmumford like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!