Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 02:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's what I thought about anime years ago but, after watching films like Akira, Perfect Blue and those from Studio Ghibli, plus some TV series, I completely changed my mind.

It's something where you need to rent a couple of the highly regarded films, both from Hayao Miyazaki and more adult-oriented output and watch them with an open mind. I'd be surprised if you're disappointed.
Hmm! I'll give it ago! I'll look at lovefilm instant later
Old 6th December 2012, 03:48 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

To touch briefly on this debate, I agree with Goji and have always stood by this: cartoons are animation regardless of country of origin. In fact I often choose to avoid saying 'anime' altogether in place of 'Japanese animation' to avoid splitting hairs.

For users like WinterMillennium I will say it's tricky to recommend one particular place to start with Japanese animation; however I personally would certainly dip into the popular side of the spectrum first with films like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Nausicca depending on your personal taste.

I will say I did just see Ben Wheatley's latest film Sightseers the other night, bloody good it was.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 6th December 2012, 03:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
A cartoon is an animated motion picture. That's all. Country of origin, story, mood - all irrelevant.

I have no idea what you think "cartoon" means. I particularly don't see what country it is from has to do with anything.

As you say, animation is a medium of entertainment (though this is a crass simplification). It includes stop motion animation, collage animation and drawn animation. The drawn animations are cartoons. It's all tremendously simple to understand.

"Anime" is a term to describe (a style of) Japanese cartoons. It does not describe anything separate from cartoons, but cartoons from a specific film industry with a certain look. It is both correct and acceptable to refer to anime as cartoons. Because they are.
I disagree. It has got to the point now where eastern and western styles of animation have become so different both in accepted style and general formulai. I had a similar discussion over at TGWTG where many people where unable to differentiate Transformers from Gundam. Not only is there a abys of a difference in terms of production values.and asthetic style, but also in terms of narrative and character development. Look at alot of western serials and they share the same.general format. The same applys to anime. There is a distinct difference.in story telling between the two cultures and to plop them together into one super catagory is actuly a bit tactless. To compare the works of Miyazaki to those of Hanna Barbera is a bit insulting to one of the greatest film makers of our time.
Old 6th December 2012, 03:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Of course anime are cartoons, you'd have to be daft to think otherwise, plus it says so on Wikipedia, which we all know is the oracle of the internet

Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, [a.ni.me] ( listen); i/ˈænɨmeɪ/ or /ˈɑːnɨmeɪ/) are Japanese cartoons and computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese. In English, the term is defined as a style of animation originating in Japan, which often features colorful graphics, vibrant characters and action-filled plots with fantastic or futuristic themes.The intended meaning of the term sometimes varies depending on the context.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th December 2012, 04:08 PM
Cultist

just to wade into an argument that has nothing to do with me, couldn't you say that horror has a wide spectrum of aesthetics, narrative and character development? no-one would argue that it isn't still horror though, regardless of how many subgenres and subcultures it's been broken down into
Gojirosan and Invid Ninja like this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I think Hawks embarrassed that he likes cartoons.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:24 PM
Cult Addict

Why is this becoming ever so slightly to personal? And Rik, wikipedia is hardly the most reliable site on the web. There is no true deffinitipn to disipher anime from cartoons and its completely dpwn to individual interpretation.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Also off topic but I may be seeing The Man With The Iron Fists this weekend. Many of my friends from the States said it was awful, but considering some of the dross I've seen this year (Ghost Rider 2, Silent Hill 2 say hi) it can't be that bad. Maybe.
keirarts likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 6th December 2012, 04:28 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Also off topic but I may be seeing The Man With The Iron Fists this weekend. Many of my friends from the States said it was awful, but considering some of the dross I've seen this year (Ghost Rider 2, Silent Hill 2 say hi) it can't be that bad. Maybe.
actually bud, i think you're on topic, it's the rest of us that have strayed off
Invid Ninja and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Why is this becoming ever so slightly to personal?
Who are you referring to?

Like this? Share it using the links below!