Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2012, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Exclamation Possible Spoilers!

The Seventh Sign (1988) A ho hum thriller about the biblical end of the world which is prophesied in the book of Revelations. Both signs and portents mean Gods wrath is about the smite the world this is because there are no more souls left to those who are yet to be born, (Why he cant create a few more isn't explained!). Anyway an angel is trying to help Demi Moores pregnant character break the chain of events, even though he's the one unleashing the signs, and a priest whose actually an immortal Roman is trying to make sure God gets his way! Basically the Omen from Gods point of view! TBH I struggled through it....Way to tired to con cen trate zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Dont forget the end of the world is nigh: 21st December.....The Mayans said so!
Hawkmonger likes this.

Last edited by JoshuaKaitlyn; 7th December 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I also enjoyed Exam
Old 8th December 2012, 12:36 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

A great night of films tonight. I was planning on a Batman trilogy night but i had to watch the Expendables 2. It was great to see Stallone, Arnie ,Chuck ,Van Damme ,Lundgren and Willis together. I would of like Jet Li to have more of a part and Van Damme was certainly under used even as the main bad guy i felt i ahould of had more screen time. Saying that i loved it and its great seeing the action heros you grow up with still kicking ass at their age so its a dream come true really.

No point going in to details about Batman i love all three films everything else has been said a million times.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:59 AM
Active Cultist

Just watched Your vice is a locked room and only i have the key. Thought it was one of the better giallo type films i have seen with a few dark comedy moments, certainly miles better than All the colours of the dark but not as good as Mrs Wardh.
Also seen Di leo`s To be twenty, (very shocking ending) and Last house on the beach which was a bit of a letdown.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 8th December 2012, 04:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Stinking hot here today, so after work I closed all the blinds, turned up the aircon and watched 'Kill List'. (Wife and son went to a friends pool for the day - ideal oppurtunity to watch something that I know she wouldn't dig)
Really good film, and I can see a re-watch coming soon. I'm a sucker for an ambiguous film, especially if it's horror.
Wife and I went to see 'Skyfall' earlier this week. Neither of us are Bond fans, but we both had a great time with it.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:05 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Boring I know, but HD remaster urgently needed. De Palma puts red in every scene - I bet it was meant to pop and seethe, but not in this gauzy transfer.
I have the MGM/Twentieth Century Fox American BD and it is a massive upgrade over the SD picture. It's coded to Region A so, if you have a multi region player, it's definitely one to buy.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Have a really bad cold so am (trying) to do a weekend of DVD's. Not doing well as my head/eyes are in constant pain so hard to concentrate, though I have watched the Zombie Flesheaters documentries (From Romero to Rome) and the Ian McCulloch interview. Both great supplements, currently watching the Jones/Thrower commentary on the film. Relly enjoying it!

Am going to attempt Blue Excorcist after this, if I can concentate! Lol!
Old 8th December 2012, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Seventh Sign (1988) A ho hum thriller about the biblical end of the world which is prophesied in the book of Revelations. Both signs and portents mean Gods wrath is about the smite the world this is because there are no more souls left to those who are yet to be born, (Why he cant create a few more isn't explained!). Anyway an angel is trying to help Demi Moores pregnant character break the chain of events, even though he's the one unleashing the signs, and a priest whose actually an immortal Roman is trying to make sure God gets his way! Basically the Omen from Gods point of view! TBH I struggled through it....Way to tired to con cen trate zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Dont forget the end of the world is nigh: 21st December.....The Mayans said so!
I've only seen it once but i remember enjoying The Seventh Sign.

Been meaning to pick up the dvd for years now.
Old 8th December 2012, 01:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SHEITAN - This was made around the time of that mid-noughties wave of French horror, most of which I really enjoyed. 'Sheitan' is a darkly perverse rural horror, where a bunch of urban street kids are transplanted to the country estate of a girl they meet in a discotheque on christmas eve. There, they find a yokelised and deeply sinister Vincent Cassal, rooms full of broken dolls, a bunch of in-breds and a mysterious plot about the birthing of Satan. A film which is well at ease with its own grubbiness, and features such BBFC baiting scenes (but apparently not, as it has a legit '18' certificate) as a dimwit girl sexing up a dog. The mid section drifts a bit and could've been more focussed and intense, but overall I really liked its twisted, parodic take on familial horror.

SOUTHERN COMFORT - Another sort-of backwoods horror film, the brilliant 'Southern Comfort' shows us in excruciating close up the unravelling of a national guard platoon in the face of (mostly) unseen menace. The soldiers are all completely unlikable and mostly idiotic, but the film is unwaveringly gripping and never lets go of a sense of seething tension present right from the start. Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine, who at times function almost like a chorus, give excellent performances. Their characters' detached cynicism and alienation from the shambles surrounding them provides a hook for the movie's more urbane audience, initially at least - by the end of the film, we see their mindset is pretty basic to the whole problem. This is a great study of paranoia and the isolation of the individual(ist's) psyche, way more sophisticated then something like 'The Thing', even though the the two films share similar atmospheres (and endings, for that matter). A great movie, one which I've just seen for the first time.
Old 8th December 2012, 01:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SHEITAN - This was made around the time of that mid-noughties wave of French horror, most of which I really enjoyed. 'Sheitan' is a darkly perverse rural horror, where a bunch of urban street kids are transplanted to the country estate of a girl they meet in a discotheque on christmas eve. There, they find a yokelised and deeply sinister Vincent Cassal, rooms full of broken dolls, a bunch of in-breds and a mysterious plot about the birthing of Satan. A film which is well at ease with its own grubbiness, and features such BBFC baiting scenes (but apparently not, as it has a legit '18' certificate) as a dimwit girl sexing up a dog. The mid section drifts a bit and could've been more focussed and intense, but overall I really liked its twisted, parodic take on familial horror.
The film is also known as 'Satan'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!