Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179939Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2013, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Another trip to the cinema this evening, this time to see Elysium which I really liked. Simple but effective narrative, it didn't have the twist at the end I expected and the political subtext is not rammed down the audiences throat. Good, effective SF entertainment.

And I watched Romper Stomper on blu earlier. O forgot how good thesis and I am a huge fan of the soundtrack.
troggi likes this.
Old 17th August 2013, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Snake in the eagles shadow never seen this before quite enjoyed it highly entertaining, also listening to the music surprising how many very famous tracks there are in the film. Tbh I can see the similarities of This and karate kid REALY being a Hollywood remake of this film
troggi likes this.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Deranged

Highly disturbing and scary, but also I found very funny in places a wonderful performance from Robert blossom as he slowy descends further and further in to madness. To anyone like me who has not seen it before to yourself a favour a buy this classic, I dare say I enjoyed this more than Texas chainsaw massacre 10/10

Just remember The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis, and death!

Deranged - "The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis and death!" - YouTube

Next I shall watch the first film in the coffin joe box set.
I really like Deranged too, has it got the brain scooping scene in the print ?,i know this scene isn't in my American version but it was in an old u.k version by Exploited films( although this version slightly censored the final scene with the upside down woman in the barn.)
A great film anyway, like you say very funny too, the performances are all spot on and this in my opinion is closest to the real Ed Gein story.

Let us know what you make of Coffin joe.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Snake in the eagles shadow never seen this before quite enjoyed it highly entertaining, also listening to the music surprising how many very famous tracks there are in the film. Tbh I can see the similarities of This and karate kid REALY being a Hollywood remake of this film
"Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is one of my all time favourite films and I watch it at least once a year!

geekdog.jpg
"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Crash of Moons" (1954)
The blurb in the "SCI-FI CLASSICS" booklet says that this was originally a
Quote:
2 part episode from the syndicated 1954 television series
why weren't they broadcasting this during the school holidays instead of "Champion the Wonder Horse"! It goes on to to add that
Quote:
The series was cancelled after a single season because the costly special effects made it unprofitable.

I loved it: hokey science, terrible acting, worse dialogue, even worse special effects and very short skirts! 15/10 for the little Prince who wouldn't shut up!

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (1965)
I quite like "portmanteau movies" and this offering from Amicus is great BUT am I missing something? Where's the titular "House"?

16/10 for that great double act, Roy Castle and Kenny Lynch!

"Deathwatch" (2002)
I'd forgotten that I'd already seen this some time ago and really didn't twig it until Kris Marshall (Pvt. Barry Starinski) started masturbating!

Solid film, Andy Serkis' psychotic soldier is as stand-out as all his psychotic characters are but his ending is worth watching!

17/10 for the best trained barb wire in films!

Monster Magnet
Old 17th August 2013, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I really like Deranged too, has it got the brain scooping scene in the print ?,i know this scene isn't in my American version but it was in an old u.k version by Exploited films( although this version slightly censored the final scene with the upside down woman in the barn.)
A great film anyway, like you say very funny too, the performances are all spot on and this in my opinion is closest to the real Ed Gein story.

Let us know what you make of Coffin joe.
Yes brain scooping scene is there.

At midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and anti relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 17th August 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is one of my all time favourite films and I watch it at least once a year!

Attachment 117560
"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Crash of Moons" (1954)
The blurb in the "SCI-FI CLASSICS" booklet says that this was originally a why weren't they broadcasting this during the school holidays instead of "Champion the Wonder Horse"! It goes on to to add that

I loved it: hokey science, terrible acting, worse dialogue, even worse special effects and very short skirts! 15/10 for the little Prince who wouldn't shut up!

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (1965)
I quite like "portmanteau movies" and this offering from Amicus is great BUT am I missing something? Where's the titular "House"?

16/10 for that great double act, Roy Castle and Kenny Lynch!

"Deathwatch" (2002)
I'd forgotten that I'd already seen this some time ago and really didn't twig it until Kris Marshall (Pvt. Barry Starinski) started masturbating!

Solid film, Andy Serkis' psychotic soldier is as stand-out as all his psychotic characters are but his ending is worth watching!

17/10 for the best trained barb wire in films!
Spooky I'm watching dr terror at the moment !!
troggi likes this.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yes brain scooping scene is there.

A midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and ant relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10
Might just have to pick up Deranged again then at some point,thanx.
Glad u liked 'midnight', and if u liked that you should love the next one.
troggi likes this.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:55 PM
Cult Addict

Just finished watching Ben Wheatleys A Field In England.
I'm not entirely sure what was going on but I really enjoyed it. Some brilliant imagery in there.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Evil Dead Remake and Creepshow. Two movies thirty years apart but both excellent
troggi likes this.
Old 18th August 2013, 03:28 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
At midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and anti relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10
Glad you enjoyed this one, trebor.

As nosferatu mentioned, you should enjoy the next one too.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!