All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179902Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2013, 09:23 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I don't want to spoil anyone's fun but at one point in the film, as Gamera is ripping the roof off of a baseball stadium, a soldier shouts "Go home! There is nothing to see here!"

Add that to the fact that the schoolgirl heroine of the piece is voiced by what sounds to be a bored Essex shoe sales woman of about 30!
Priceless
Old 21st August 2013, 09:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
This one opens with a blast of The Exploited... Made In Britain, Alan Clarke's 1983 made for television film about a violent racist skinhead's free fall through the criminal justice system. Gritty, tough, unsentimental stuff, featuring a volcanic performance from Tim Roth, and some brilliant steadicam work Chris Menges taking us through dead zone detention centres manned by overstressed case-workers with few solutions in sight. Worrying stuff, this is not just made in Britain, but made in anywhere, anytime

Excellent and thoroughly disturbing stuff. Alan Clark totally rules. If anyone knows where I can find a copy of 'Stars of the Roller State Disco', then let me know. I saw it once at the BFI - quite amazing.
It's strange watching this kind of thing now, I think, in the sense that the whole notion of Thatcher's Britain has become so aestheticized and reified in the culture... it kind of haunts us now as just another contemporary gothic, but I'm old enough to remember that those were genuinely horrible times, vile times really. And, quaint as this may sound, films like 'Made In Britain' told the truth about the system.
Wes, troggi and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 21st August 2013, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Excellent and thoroughly disturbing stuff. Alan Clark totally rules. If anyone knows where I can find a copy of 'Stars of the Roller State Disco', then let me know. I saw it once at the BFI - quite amazing.
It's strange watching this kind of thing now, I think, in the sense that the whole notion of Thatcher's Britain has become so aestheticized and reified in the culture... it kind of haunts us now as just another contemporary gothic, but I'm old enough to remember that those were genuinely horrible times, vile times really. And, quaint as this may sound, films like 'Made In Britain' told the truth about the system.
I'm with you, Bro! That period is an age that I would like to forget but cannot. It altered my whole way of life and absolutely gutted my city and many other communities north of Watford. The "thug culture" at the time appeared, to an outsider like me, to mirror the "Yuppie culture" at the other end of the social spectrum and I believe that we are still paying for the consequences of both cultures!
Wes and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 21st August 2013, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Repo the genetic opera,

Caugh this on horror channel highly enjoyed it, I looked it up and noticed its a fav with the public but panned by critics, was meant to be a trilogy but doesn't own the rights now so looks very slim for a sequel.
Has anyone seen Darren Lynn bousman ther musical the devils carnival if so what's it like?
Old 21st August 2013, 10:39 PM
Cult Addict

TWO GUNS.

Marky Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington play two criminal types, neither of whom realize the other is not what they seem. They rob a savings and loan and walk away with a little over $40million in cash that belongs to some very shady people and things start going really wrong.
This one arrived at cinemas with little or no fanfare, but being that I like Denzel Washington movies I thought 'what the hell' and gave it a go. It's nothing original but it does it with enough style to be entertaining. One of the bad guys is played by Edward James Olomos who is very understated and cool, the other is played by Bill Paxton who probably give one of his best performances. The opening has references to both Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia and Pat Garrett and Billy the kid.

Overall very entertaining and i'll be looking out for it on Blu-ray!

Kick ass 2.

James King gave this a shitty review. James King got it Very, Very wrong. Probably more twisted than the first, thankfully not AS twisted as the comic, Kick-ass 2 pleased me a lot. Very funny but still not afraid to go very dark in places either. Seemed to be a real crowd pleaser as well given the reactions of the audience I saw it with.
Old 21st August 2013, 11:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Opening night of Fantasy Film Fest in Hamburg was tonight (Wednesday).

The Congress opened the festival - a film that will require multiple viewings to understand, but if you strap yourself in and go along for the ride without trying to over think everything it is very much an enjoyable experience.

The other film tonight was Big Ass Spider which I saw at Dead by Dawn (it also featured at Imagine and Fantasia), but as there was nothing else playing against it I went along and saw it for a second time - its enormous fun. A shame that Fright Fest didn't select it, its the ideal midnight movie to round off a day of film watching.

Tomorrow I have a late start (15:00) with tickets for Banshee Chapter, The Complex, Europa Report, Dirty Weekend (which I really hope is better than the trailer I saw tonight) and Hatchet III.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 21st August 2013, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Kick ass 2.

James King gave this a shitty review. James King got it Very, Very wrong. Probably more twisted than the first, thankfully not AS twisted as the comic, Kick-ass 2 pleased me a lot. Very funny but still not afraid to go very dark in places either. Seemed to be a real crowd pleaser as well given the reactions of the audience I saw it with.
I thought the Mean Girls subplot and the (presumably contractually obligated) music video bit were real mis-steps but i did enjoy it, admittedly nowhere near as much as the first. Haven't got round to King's review yet, will be interested as to why he disliked it so much.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Elysium - 4/5

Fantastic production design, the plot might not be anything particularly new but I don't see why it's getting such lacklustre reviews, plenty to enjoy for sci-fi fans.
troggi and DaveH like this.
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:28 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I thought the Mean Girls subplot and the (presumably contractually obligated) music video bit were real mis-steps but i did enjoy it, admittedly nowhere near as much as the first. Haven't got round to King's review yet, will be interested as to why he disliked it so much.
The mean girls bit was from the comic, it was a bit of humor based around a tween homicidal sociopath attempting to fit in in high school. I didn't mind it as the pay off was funny but it did play better in the book.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The mean girls bit was from the comic, it was a bit of humor based around a tween homicidal sociopath attempting to fit in in high school. I didn't mind it as the pay off was funny but it did play better in the book.
Ah right. I've not read the second book yet and was wondering which bits of the film that didn't work were form the book and which had been created for the film, since there are quite a few diversions. It definitely didn't work on screen though and really slowed the film down. The projectile vomiting bit was TERRIBLE, like the director didn't understand what made the first film work.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!