All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179850Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2013, 06:53 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I've been wanting to see this for ages. Looks really eerie!
It's not eerie more like a fairy tale full of sexual imagery.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 6th October 2013, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken me so long to watch this film. Truly remarkable and pretty much my ideal film. Highly recommended...
Who knew a film about a girl getting her first period could be so enchanting and magical ? Just one of many diamonds of Eastern European Cinema... I love this classic Penguin mock-up...

Old 6th October 2013, 06:58 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken me so long to watch this film. Truly remarkable and pretty much my ideal film. Highly recommended.
One of my favourites, I love this film.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Will have to pick up Valerie and her week of wonders for myself.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Will have to pick up Valerie and her week of wonders for myself.
Same here. I've been meaning to get it for years.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd highly recommend browsing the Second Run label for some wonderful Czech, Polish and Hungarian films. Something like the 1968 Czech film, The Cremator a nightmarish film about professional, petit-bourgeois cremator who's murder fantasies are given full expression as the Nazi's begin their occupation of Czechoslovakia. Shot in stark black and white and full of strange dreamy surrealism, conveying the cremator's increasing mania, the film uses a number of arresting visual techniques like rapid-fire montage, extreme close-ups, a dazzling use of wide angle lens, and a wonderfully disorientating editing style that shifts time and space from scene to scene, causing the viewer to readjust his focus of where and when the film is taking place. Highly recommended !

Old 6th October 2013, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Eraserhead' - not my favourite Lynch, but still an unnerving, disturbing, amazing piece of low budget film making. I admire it, and really like it - especially the first half, where we see the world Lynch has created for his characters to live in. So many memorable scenes, in particular the dinner at Henry's girlfriend's house!
And, how the hell did he/they make that mutant baby?! - amazing!

'Oldboy' - bumped this one up my to-watch pile after my brother told me that it's a masterpiece. I didn't think it was quite a masterpiece, but I did thoroughly enjoy it, and I'm keen to check out Park's other films.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'd highly recommend browsing the Second Run label for some wonderful Czech, Polish and Hungarian films. Something like the 1968 Czech film, The Cremator a nightmarish film about professional, petit-bourgeois cremator who's murder fantasies are given full expression as the Nazi's begin their occupation of Czechoslovakia. Shot in stark black and white and full of strange dreamy surrealism, conveying the cremator's increasing mania, the film uses a number of arresting visual techniques like rapid-fire montage, extreme close-ups, a dazzling use of wide angle lens, and a wonderfully disorientating editing style that shifts time and space from scene to scene, causing the viewer to readjust his focus of where and when the film is taking place. Highly recommended !

The only Czech film I own is Closely Observed Trains.
Wes and troggi like this.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Eraserhead' - not my favourite Lynch, but still an unnerving, disturbing, amazing piece of low budget film making. I admire it, and really like it - especially the first half, where we see the world Lynch has created for his characters to live in. So many memorable scenes, in particular the dinner at Henry's girlfriend's house!
And, how the hell did he/they make that mutant baby?! - amazing!

'Oldboy' - bumped this one up my to-watch pile after my brother told me that it's a masterpiece. I didn't think it was quite a masterpiece, but I did thoroughly enjoy it, and I'm keen to check out Park's other films.
Eraserhead is Top10 Cinema for me, a film that never ceases to amaze me everytime I see it. I think Criterion are putting this out on Blu in the near future...

I'm probably in the minority here in saying that Oldboy left me completely underwhelmed, I just did not like this movie, but the door is always open to see it again for a reappraisal...
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'm probably in the minority here in saying that Oldboy left me completely underwhelmed, I just did not like this movie, but the door is always open to see it again for a reappraisal...

You're watching Oldboy again and that's a ****ing order ! It's worth it just for the ending alone!!!
Wes and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!