All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2013, 03:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hollow (2011)

An old monastery in a small remote village in England has been allegedly haunted by local legends for centuries. The monasteries ruins are marked only by a gnarled ancient tree with an ominous hollow and a spirit that is said to lure young couples to suicide.

Hollow is a film that has so much wrong with it but its failings are outweighed by the things it does right. First of all its British and not full of the usual American teen stereotypes. Its setting immediately made me think of Ben Wheatley's A Field in England, and in places it is rather creepy.

The fact the film is based on English legends and folk lore was also a bonus as this country and its brilliant history isn't really explored enough by horror films. The characters in the film aren't too bad and you can relate to them with one exception. A young woman who suffers from bad asthma yet never seems to know where her inhaler is , nor that she may suffer an attack whilst walking in our beautiful countryside. This irritation aside the rest of the cast are passable.

Its always nice to see people researching legends but this film gave the final scenes away early on when the cast came across an ancient wood carving in a book. The fun with Hollow though was in how the characters came to end up in the scenario depicted by the carving.

According to the cover blurb Total Film called it the British Blair Witch and it does offer similarities - the handheld camera work for a start, and the search for ancient evil being the other main consistency. On the whole i had fun with this film so if you enjoy English legends and spooky horror then you too may well get something out of Hollow.
Old 26th November 2013, 03:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hollow (2011)

Hollow is a film that has so much wrong with it but its failings are outweighed by the things it does right. First of all its British and not full of the usual American teen stereotypes. Its setting immediately made me think of Ben Wheatley's A Field in England, and in places it is rather creepy.
Is it as mind numbingly boring as A Field in England, because it's cheap on Amazon at the minute, I don't want to waste my money if it is*

*Cue the usual "How did you not like A Field in England, it's super smashing great because everybody says so?"
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th November 2013, 03:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Is it as mind numbingly boring as A Field in England, because it's cheap on Amazon at the minute, I don't want to waste my money if it is*

*Cue the usual "How did you not like A Field in England, it's super smashing great because everybody says so?"
Is it? I had more fun watching paint dry.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 26th November 2013, 03:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Is it? I had more fun watching paint dry.
Thank **** for that, I thought I was the only member here who didn't like it!
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th November 2013, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Mainly because its set in fields in England.

Parts of the film had a similar atmosphere i felt. Difficult to explain really. Its not a film about four blokes who take magic mushrooms anyway.
troggi likes this.
Old 26th November 2013, 03:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:

Ah, the old "I'm going to say something intentionally provocative and immediately dismiss any contrary responses to said provocation by deliberately pre-empting them" tactic.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 26th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Ah, the old "I'm going to say something intentionally provocative and immediately dismiss any contrary responses to said provocation by deliberately pre-empting them" tactic.
Not at all, it just seems that every time I express my disliking to something many others think is the dogs bollocks, I get shit for it
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 26th November 2013, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not at all, it just seems that every time I express my disliking to something many others think is the dogs bollocks, I get shit for it
Its a forum. That's what its for.
Old 26th November 2013, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

trading places

classic feel good comedy. not much more to say apart from what a lovely couple of interesting points Jamie lee Curtis make s in this film 10/10

tonight's viewings the abominable Dr. Phibes and city of the living dead
Rik, Nordicdusk, troggi and 1 others like this.
Old 26th November 2013, 06:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Pacific Rim" More fun than putting a Sherman Tank on top of Boris Johnson and telling him "to laugh that one off!"

17/10 for the rocket punch!

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!