Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:24 PM
Cult Addict

WORLD WAR Z.

Bought this on Blu-Ray for £3.99 in British heart foundation. Saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it more than the critics. Watching it on the small screen it still holds up as much as it did at the cinema. It's still a deeply flawed film, the extended edition re-instates some more bloody sequences but it's still one of the tamest Zombie films i've seen in terms of splatter. Essentially its a bunch of interesting scenes thought up and stapled together by a flimsy plot that fails to really make the most of the source material. Also lets not forget the ending, it feels better the second time around and as a stand alone sequence it is well shot. Unfortunately it still feels tagged on and rushed. Not a film I would pay big money for but at £3.99 it was worth a punt.

The Campaign.

Another film that got savaged by the critics and one I actually sort of enjoyed. Nowhere near as funny as Anchorman, step brothers it's more in the semi pro league as in intermittently funny. It does however make a really good statement on the fragility of democracy in the face of wealthy special interests. Rare to recommend a comedy based on its political message but this aspect is well observed. It IS funny in places, and I suspect the 10 minute longer extended version is the reason for this. Don't go into it expecting too much though and you may actually find some interesting things in this film. I do hate the ending though.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had the misfortune to watch, in its entirety, the movie that is, Frankenhooker on Blu-ray. Give me Brain Damage any day over this rubbish. The 'making of' doc was good though. Good transfer to HD from Arrow
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:02 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SOUL MAN. It almost works...apart from the whole inherent racism at it's core!
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:03 PM
Cult Addict

I like Frankenhooker myself, sure Brain damage is better tho.
'Wanna date, lookin for some action?'
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Had the misfortune to watch, in its entirety, the movie that is, Frankenhooker on Blu-ray. Give me Brain Damage any day over this rubbish. The 'making of' doc was good though. Good transfer to HD from Arrow
I agree with Bill Murray on this one. I thought Frankenhooker was hysterical!
Rik and Maxsimmus like this.
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Altered states

up and very weird but also highly enjoyable, some fantastic imagery and special effects. Mind I didn't expect such a upbeat ending. 9/10

Monster squad

Often compared to the goonies. But with monsters, we have a fun little movie with some fantastic monster effects and the young leads all to a fine job and come off very likeable. Only downside a little bit of a depressing ending. 8.5/10

The black hole

I love this movie. One of those films that takes you back to the innocent time of childhood. Watched it today respect to the passing of Maximilian Schell . A film that's a whole lot of fun and never get bored of, who didn't love Vincent and old bob as a child and was scared of Maximilian. 9.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd February 2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Altered states

up and very weird but also highly enjoyable, some fantastic imagery and special effects. Mind I didn't expect such a upbeat ending. 9/10
Magnificent, isn't it? I love Altered States. Even the bit where it lets loose and goes all b-movie.
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsimmus View Post
Watched Wicker Man Final Cut last night, excellent transfer with great extras, but final cut ? Not so sure .
Just finished watching it myself. Sublime.

I also watched, Before Midnight, The Body and Computer Chess today. All of which offer something worth seeing.
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like the witty review but totally disagree on both counts.

I'll agree (mostly). Loved both films, but the Chuck Norris cameo (at least the first scene he appears in) in Expendables 2, was completely forced. And as much as I like the Chuck Norris facts, having him appear basically just so he could tell one to the cast, made me cringe.
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:04 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Just finished watching it myself. Sublime.

I also watched, Before Midnight, The Body and Computer Chess today. All of which offer something worth seeing.

Just finished Computer Chess myself. Definitely my kind of quirky film. I'm a fan of people like Hal Hartley, so this was right up my street. Favourite scene would have to be the hotel room scene with the swinger couple.
SShaw likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!