Like Tree179894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2014, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Thanks B. Never saw that post. Just wondered if another had been released. The WA version looks great anyway.

That scifi box set is going for silly money now.
Old 17th February 2014, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Woops, wrong thread
Old 18th February 2014, 12:10 AM
Cult Addict

demons.jpg demons2.jpg

demons3.jpg demons 4.jpg

demons5.jpg demons 6.jpg

demons 7.jpg demons 8.jpg

Spent all evening with these bad boys. Still up there with stagefright amongst the reasons I love late eighties italian cinema. Also interesting to find more out about THE CHURCH, another film I really love.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Der Rote Kreis and Der Frosch mit der Maske (from German Edgar Wallace Vol 1)

Der Rote Kreis (The Red Circle)

Good fun - a blackmailer goes around bumping people off if they don't give him what he wants. I thought it was very well put together and certainly a second viewing soon after was even more rewarding. The subtitling on this is a bit distracting - there are words left out and Thames is spelt incorrectly every time it is used.

Der Frosch mit der Maske (The Face of the Frog)

The Frog is a master criminal, who's quite partial to robbery and murder; you have Scotland Yard, and an amateur detective and his butler trying to stop him.

Again, very good fun. But certainly in this volume, the stories have similar characteristics so it became easier to guess the Frog's identity earlier on.

I have to give a shout out to Eddi Arrent who played who played Sergeant Haggett in Kreis and James the Butler in in Frosche - he nearly steals the film in both, but particuarly as the Butler.
Old 18th February 2014, 01:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So, after watching Paul last night, (the film, not some random guy called Paul), I through on The Devil's Backbone to see exactly what I've been missing all these years.
Wow, what a masterpiece of cinema. I loved Del Toro's earlier film Cronos (not seen Mimic, but I have ordered it on the basis of watching TDB) and his later films such as the two Hellboys, Pacific Rim and TDB's "sister" film, Pan's Labyrinth-but this was something else, a real gem of a film that I will happily watch over and over again, and although similar in some ways to Pan's Labyrinth (I.E the Spanish Civil War setting, the child protagonist etc), I felt this was the better of the two.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th February 2014, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
So, after watching Paul last night, (the film, not some random guy called Paul)
PaulD was only mentioning to me earlier on that there was some random guy in the bushes outside his house last night with binoculars. Coincidence?

Quote:
I through on The Devil's Backbone to see exactly what I've been missing all these years.
Wow, what a masterpiece of cinema. I loved Del Toro's earlier film Cronos (not seen Mimic, but I have ordered it on the basis of watching TDB) and his later films such as the two Hellboys, Pacific Rim and TDB's "sister" film, Pan's Labyrinth-but this was something else, a real gem of a film that I will happily watch over and over again, and although similar in some ways to Pan's Labyrinth (I.E the Spanish Civil War setting, the child protagonist etc), I felt this was the better of the two.
Whilst I really rate Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, and Pan's Labyrinth, I didn't think much of Mimic. Hopefully you will enjoy it though, Rik.

The Hellboy films I find moderately entertaining fluff, and certainly better than most comic book films out there but they hold little interest for me.
Old 19th February 2014, 11:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Her (2013) - 4.5/5

Thought-provoking, funny, and emotional (I shed a tear). Similar kind of style to Miranda July's films.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:57 AM
Cult Addict

Die screaming, Marianne.

Susan George stars at Marianne, working her way across Europe as a go-go dancer in a bid to avoid the hired thugs sent by her corrupt and incestuous father The Judge. Marianne is set to inherit a fortune when she's 21, money her late mother stole from the Judge. Marianne heads to Britain with a bloke she meets hitchhiking and the head off to get married, only she marries the wrong fella. Not really liking the bloke she was supposed to marry she moves in with her accidental husband and they end up falling in love. It turns out however that the bloke she was supposed to marry works for the judge and he lures them back to Portugal where the knives are sharpening for a final showdown.

This film is often wrongly accredited as a horror film when it fits more into pulp crime fiction territory. I've never really gotten on with the film previously, and while I still find it the weakest of Pete Walkers films (the non sex-picture ones) I actually enjoyed it a lot more this time round than I did previously. Leo Glenn is marvelous as the corrupt and sleazy Judge and naturally Susan George is both good as an actress and easy on the eyes as Marianne. The opening credits are genius and still one of the best part of the film.

The Comeback.

I've always had a soft spot for this film. Like With Die Screaming Marianne I actually enjoyed it a lot more this time round as well. Jack Jones plays a pop star who has returned to London to make a new record after a six year absence. His producer sets him up at a sinister old mansion run by Mr and Mrs B. (sheila Keith and Last of the summer wines Bill Owen!) Pretty soon he starts hearing a girl crying at night and starts to think he's losing his mind. To top it off there's a demented killer lurking at his apartment who has killed his ex-wife and anyone else who happens by!

Watching the film again after a long absence I found myself enjoying the comeback more than I had previously. The opening murder of the ex-wife is genuinely shocking, the killers motivation is both insane and plausible and it's there are plenty of clues to be seen (though most people will guess, Walker has never been very good as a film maker at keeping secrets as Schizo also demonstrates) The Comeback deserves a reappraisal in my opinion. It's perhaps more conventional than Frightmare or House of whipcord and perhaps suffers a little from no David McGillivray screenwriting. It is however a fun little Horror/thriller with a decent plot. Jones is no oscar material but he carries the film well. Also nice to see Pamela Stephenson looking hot. That Billy Connolly is a lucky bloke. A real shame she quit acting though as she's really gifted.

Slice and Dice: The slasher film forever.

A nice little documentary from Callum Waddell who brings together hours of interviews together for an interesting look at one of Horror's biggest sub-genres. I doubt it's the last word on the subject but it'll definitely have you digging through your collection for stuff to watch.

Unhinged.

Speaking of which, the first title I came across was this Bizarre slasher picture from Oregon. Unhinged is about a group of girls who get stuck at a creepy old mansion out in the middle of nowhere, populated by an old woman and her daughter. The dialogue is overwritten, the acting is amateurish and some of the editing is frankly odd. Watching it today its difficult to believe this was ever considered worth banning. Whichever moron took this off the shelf must have been a habitual glue sniffer or ether fiend to find it shocking. That said it's also easy to see why its a cult film. It may be really, really, bad but it has a weird quality to it that seems to keep me watching it until the end. I don't know if its an Ed Wood factor, where the filmmakers believe so strongly that the film is some kind of masterpiece, or whether the freaky editing and stilted acting make it surreal enough to transcend itself when watched around midnight.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:50 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
So, after watching Paul last night, (the film, not some random guy called Paul), I through on The Devil's Backbone to see exactly what I've been missing all these years.
If you have not seen it already i can highly recommend The Orphanage, i think Del Toro was a producer or something on this, another child ghost story.
Nemesis likes this.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
If you have not seen it already i can highly recommend The Orphanage, i think Del Toro was a producer or something on this, another child ghost story.
I second that recommendation – The Orphanage is a great film.

Belén Rueda is a terrific actress, and Julia's Eyes is another Spanish horror film which I highly recommend.

Like this? Share it using the links below!