Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2014, 06:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
could have been great if the cast and director ran head first into the muted violence and nudity on offer and exploded them across the screen.
Doesn't that apply to most films?
Old 21st February 2014, 07:39 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Let's not forget a great song by Megadeth* on the soundtrack too!

*Yes, I know it's an Alice Cooper song, but Megadeth's is a better version IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I think you may have to listen to a few strong words from Suzi on that one later
Each to their own, Rik

Of course the Alice version is better. His is genuinely evil, while the Megadeth version is just a cartoon

Anyway, going off topic, Dave Mustaine owes a big debt of gratitude to Alice. Megadeth were the opening act on the "Nightmare Returns" tour, and Dave was going through a very bad time around the late 80's concerning drugs and alcohol. Alice offered some 'fatherly" advice to him which supposedly pretty much 'saved his life". Because of this, Mr. Mustaine likes to refer to Alice as his godfather. It has nothing to do with baptism or religion - more of a guardian kind of a thing.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st February 2014, 08:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Each to their own, Rik

Of course the Alice version is better. His is genuinely evil, while the Megadeth version is just a cartoon

Anyway, going off topic, Dave Mustaine owes a big debt of gratitude to Alice. Megadeth were the opening act on the "Nightmare Returns" tour, and Dave was going through a very bad time around the late 80's concerning drugs and alcohol. Alice offered some 'fatherly" advice to him which supposedly pretty much 'saved his life". Because of this, Mr. Mustaine likes to refer to Alice as his godfather. It has nothing to do with baptism or religion - more of a guardian kind of a thing.

Yeah, he makes a point of expressing his gratitude towards Alice in his autobiography and in documentaries.

N.B Mustaine was so off his head during the video shoot for No More Mr Nice Guy that he couldn't sing and play guitar at the same time, which is why he isn't doing that in the video.

Anyway,

I watched Dust Devil the other day for the first time in years (due to someone mentioning it on here last week). I'd forgotten how odd it is, but still a highly enjoyable film and one that I'd gladly upgrade if someone decided to release it on Blu over here
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st February 2014, 02:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Horror double bill....

I'm in love with Ramsay Ames from The Mummy's Ghost. What a beauty she is.

.................................................. .......................*sigh*
Old 21st February 2014, 06:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cradle Will Fall (2008)

Cradle Will Fall is a primal horror film of raw emotion which allows us to witness an uncompromising descent into the depths of a womans extreme depression.

The opening act gives us an uneasy build up of stifling tension that escalates out of control with the mother drowning her young daughter in the bath tub after suffocating her baby in its bed. From then on the film becomes a brutal, unrelenting game of cat and mouse between ten year old Jimmy, his younger sister and their psychotic mother.

It's interesting how the film plays with our perceptions of the characters. Early on in the film we are given the impression the husband is an uncaring sort. Stopping at strip clubs on his haulage tours and basically enjoying his time away from his wife and four children. This couldn't be further from the truth. As the film unravels we see him in deep regret having to miss his son's baseball game, and the strip joint match book just picked up from the counter at his depot. He's tired rather than uncaring but he has to work to support his family. His scenes come as a slight breather, showing another side to family life before its back to the unyielding savage mayhem at the family farm.

Coming in at a slender 74 minutes Cradle Will Fall or Baby Blues as it's titled in the States, is a short, sharp shock to the senses.

Recommended with a degree of caution as this isn't a film for everyone, some will find events a little too disturbing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cradle_will_fall.jpg (18.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st February 2014, 07:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Another film I missed on the festival circuit last year was social networking commentary Antisocial which doesn't quite live up to its premise of a virus transmitted through a social networking site. Still its effective enough and worth seeking out.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st February 2014, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict

THE INCREDIBLES. Utterly fantastic kids superhero film that also crosses over into 60s spy flicks. The animation is great as is the characterisation. For once a kids film that I may watch when the little MTDSs aren't staying with me.

More kids stuff...well my kids' stuff, ROBIN-B-HOOD. This is an action comedy film from Jackie Chan that leaps about all over the place in tone and pace leading the film to be somewhat disjointed. On the plus side the stunt scenes are great, especially Jackie jumping down a building using air conditioning units as steps and some life and limb risk taking with a roller coaster.

THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT. More Jackie Chan but minus the gurning and pratt falls. Part social commentary on the plight of illegal Chinese immigrants in Japan and part classic gangster film. Chan turns in a great, understated performance as a good man turned bad to survive. Having only ever seen Chan in action or comedy roles, I was greatly taken with his acting skills. Recommend.
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:42 AM
Active Cultist

Wrong Turn 3 - Well i went in with low expectations but i dont think they were low enough, the special effects were awful and the story set up and situations were just as bad, was clock watching on this one waiting for it to end.

Hostel 3 - Went in with low expectations on this one, but this was better than i though, still not great or a patch on the 1st Hostel but none the less enjoyed most of the film and even some suprising twists
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
Wrong Turn 3 - Well i went in with low expectations but i dont think they were low enough, the special effects were awful and the story set up and situations were just as bad, was clock watching on this one waiting for it to end.

Hostel 3 - Went in with low expectations on this one, but this was better than i though, still not great or a patch on the 1st Hostel but none the less enjoyed most of the film and even some suprising twists
Thought hostel 3 was terrible and a waste of time . hated it but liked the first 2
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cradle Will Fall (2008)

Cradle Will Fall is a primal horror film of raw emotion which allows us to witness an uncompromising descent into the depths of a womans extreme depression.

The opening act gives us an uneasy build up of stifling tension that escalates out of control with the mother drowning her young daughter in the bath tub after suffocating her baby in its bed. From then on the film becomes a brutal, unrelenting game of cat and mouse between ten year old Jimmy, his younger sister and their psychotic mother.

It's interesting how the film plays with our perceptions of the characters. Early on in the film we are given the impression the husband is an uncaring sort. Stopping at strip clubs on his haulage tours and basically enjoying his time away from his wife and four children. This couldn't be further from the truth. As the film unravels we see him in deep regret having to miss his son's baseball game, and the strip joint match book just picked up from the counter at his depot. He's tired rather than uncaring but he has to work to support his family. His scenes come as a slight breather, showing another side to family life before its back to the unyielding savage mayhem at the family farm.

Coming in at a slender 74 minutes Cradle Will Fall or Baby Blues as it's titled in the States, is a short, sharp shock to the senses.

Recommended with a degree of caution as this isn't a film for everyone, some will find events a little too disturbing.
I've looked at this several times and seen it in shop for sale quite cheap but always in two minds if to buy and watch think I'll give it a go now .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!