Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2015, 10:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Rite is diabolical when even Anthony Hopkins can't save it it says alot.

btw I forgot to mention when I reviewed in the mouth of madness why is it the song "only just begun" by the carpenters crops up in so many films as a creepy song that haunts the insane party 1408 being another example. Is Karen Carpenter really that scary? and always that track!
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th January 2015, 10:06 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim View Post
I've not seen The Rite but out of sheer curiosity, without discussing any spoilers, have you seen The Last Exorcist and what did you think of the ending to that?

Personally I really liked it, caught me out completely - but then I habitually don't try and think ahead in movies and think of possible outcomes (certainly not films I am enjoying).
Do you mean The Last Exorcism rather than Exorcist?

I have got it and remember liking it but can't actually recall anything about it. Time for a re-watch perhaps.
Old 26th January 2015, 11:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched the Basket Case trilogy last night.

The first film was great. The low budget gave the film a grounded, realistic feel. But what really threw me off was the good acting and genuine emotion in the film. Duane's and Belial's relationship is extremely touching and some of the horror comes from their bond falling apart.

Basket Case 2 was a fun sequel. The horror was dialed down but the new "freaks" were amazing. You really root for them. It was like an R rated Freaks. But, despite the noticeable budget increase, I still think the first film was better. They were something more emotional and disturbing about the original film. Also, Belial's stop-motion movements from the first film were creepier.

Basket Case 3, despite the hate for the film, I kind of enjoyed. It had some fun moments, the "freaks" were cool and it had a nice message. It's a letdown when compared to the others but on its own, it's solid fare.
Old 26th January 2015, 12:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Went out to see Punk Singer. I commented previously on this biopic of Kathleen Hannah who was instrumental in the foundation of the Grrrl Power feminist movement and the politicisation of American punk in the 1990's with her band Bikini Kill. An interesting story which provides the perfect opportunity to hear some brilliant punk music from Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and Julie Ruin. I'm still hopeful that she can win her battle with Lyme disease and get back to performing with Julie Ruin.
This is on Film4 friday btw folks, well worth a looksee!!

Watched Shoah:First Era (1985) on BBC4.......now where is the 9 hour documentary about the gays, gypsies and disabled that they also murdered? Just saying.....

Then I watched Aguirre, Wrath Of God on Film4...who have a Herzog/Kinski season btw folks!!! Still brutal to watch....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th January 2015, 03:50 PM
Active Cultist

El Capitán Trueno y el Santo Grial (2011) aka. Order of the Grail (UK), Prince Killian and the Holy Grail (USA)

This film has a rotten rating on Amazon UK, thanks to the "critics" there who feel that it deserves a 1 star rating for the heinous cinematic crime of being in foreign and having those silly words at the bottom of the screen that you have to read

It is actually a really fun Spanish comic book adventure that brings to mind 'Scorpion King' and 'The Thirteenth Warrior' as well as the classic 80s Sword and Sorcery, with the plus that it is family friendly (12 rating in the UK).

My full review, with pictures - Order of the Grail review.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES with Liam Neeson.
Great film.Let's hope they make more Matt Scudder films!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yesterday's films included:

Quadrophenia-Criterion.
One of the best British films of teenage angst ever made,never fails to entertain.
And the multitude of young Brit talent is phenomenal!
Coupled with an awesome soundtrack by The Who,this remains an all-time classic.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Arrow's THIEF.

I opted for the Theatrical Cut,as the last time I watched the film was the director's cut.
Visually stunning,this remains one of Caan's best performances outside Sonny Corleone.
The soundtrack by German synth-psycho's Tangerine Dream must be heard,and is in fact,worth tracking down on CD.

Arrow have included the superb original artwork on the reverse,which was inexplicably titled 'Violent Streets' when released by Warner on video back in the eighties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg violent-streets-5119l.jpg (48.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 26th January 2015, 08:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

WITHOUT WARNING.Scream Factory.

Fantastic transfer and all round package for one of my favourite z-grade sci-fi outings!

For the uninitiated,just look at the credentials!
Jack Palance! Martin Landau! Cameron Mitchell! Kevin Peter Hall as the alien! and ahem David Caruso.....with cinematography by none other than the legendary Dean Cundey!

Contains both BD and DVD,so you non MR owners out there,do yourself a favour and grab this!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (17.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 26th January 2015, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE CARD PLAYER.Arrow

This film comes in for some stick,but I reckon it's one of Argento's better latter day efforts.(Even though the killer would be as well wearing a sign round his neck!).
The lovely Anna makes it all worthwhile!

Wish Arrow would release this,SLEEPLESS and OPERA on Blu Ray!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (8.6 KB, 0 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!