All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2015, 09:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Orcs! (2011)

Two not quite right in the head rangers at Balancing Rock National Park learn that their sacred ground is coming under threat from a tribe of Orcs who have emerged from a subterranean lair.

I like this film. I've seen it twice now and it actually improves with subsequent viewings. Yes it's low budget and it makes me wonder if the film makers bought a few prop heads from Peter Jackson, not to mention swiped a few scenes and lines of dialogue from his Rings trilogy, and decided to make a film with them.

It's a daft film that's embedded with a sense of humour you'll either appreciate or give up on within the first 20 minutes. The two leads playing the rangers are clearly having a blast throughout and the climactic battle is well presented and comes off as a 50p version of the Battle of Helms Deep from Jackson's The Two Towers.

More Doghouse than Shaun of the Dead. As far as spoofs go this is a lot of fun meaning Orcs! is recommended...i think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orcs-2011.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 18th March 2015, 09:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Arrow's HAUNTED PALACE-Stunning job for a great film!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th March 2015, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A couple of slashers I had not seen before

New Years evil.

Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would from the poor reviews around. A killer phones up a rock star who is holding a concert on New Years eve and tells her his name is evil and his going on a killing spree. What's intresting and makes it slightly different from other slashers is there is no faceless unstopable killer here we spend a great deal of time getting to know the killer, played by kyp Niven son of Peter Niven, while he is not his farther, he is above the usual acting in a lot of slashers. Enjoyable with a few twists and turns and decent soundtrack. 7.5/10

April fools

A bunch of collage friends end up staying at one of their friends house on a lake over the weekend. We have a likeable group with some nice twist and turns and dark humour. Was really enjoy up till the twist ending which a lot of people seem to praise, but I just found it to be a letdown and left me feeling what was the point of watching. 7/10

Next up (both not seen before)

Dracula 2000
Faust love of the damned

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th March 2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 19th March 2015, 09:48 PM
Cult Master

pakistani_jungle_warriors.jpg

A group of fashion models head to South America in search of a perfect location for some glamour shot when their plane is shot down by
Cesar the local drug lords army.The ladies are thrown in to prison at
Cesars compound but that was a big mistake no prison can hold these sexy ladies and soon they are armed to the teeth and kicking ass.

This film is awesome plain and simple its just a stupid fun film. John Vernon is the stand out character apart from the sexy ladies obviously he just looks like he is having the time of his life and laughing his ass off throughout. Well worth watching if you want to have a good time and laugh at some unintentionally hilarious dialogue. As i posted in the favourite quotes thread earlier today one of the greatest lines in a film

Cesar: I hope you had a pleasant journey

Vito : The trip was the shits

Even when John Vernon is saying it he looks like he is going to burst out laughing. Also the theme tune holy shit

Take it from me you need some Jungle Warriors in your life.

Films Fun Factor 7 / 10
Old 19th March 2015, 09:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
To put it simply The Babadook is an excellent cinematic metaphor for Mental illness. It also does that, actually very rare thing for horror films these days, its actually genuinely very scary; I hadn't been so terrified by a film since The Descent. I give it a 10/10 myself.

The ending as I read it, is that the mother has finally managed to overcome her mental health problems by managing it, hence why the monster stays downstairs.

Just finished watching this with my other half, a film I'd promised was both scary and excellent judging by all the hype it's been getting recently.
All I can I say is it should be called The Babasfook, because it is without a shadow of a doubt THE worst film I've seen this year, and we've watched a shit tonne of low budget-Poundland specials these past few weeks, what a massive let down, so glad I rented it first!
Yeah, I got the metaphor for her mental illness and all that, but scary? I'd let my kids watch this!
1/10

Edit: The music and sound design were good
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 19th March 2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 19th March 2015, 09:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
A couple of slashers I had not seen before

New Years evil.

Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would from the poor reviews around. A killer phones up a rock star who is holding a concert on New Years eve and tells her his name is evil and his going on a killing spree. What's intresting and makes it slightly different from other slashers is there is no faceless unstopable killer here we spend a great deal of time getting to know the killer, played by kyp Niven son of Peter Niven, while he is not his farther, he is above the usual acting in a lot of slashers. Enjoyable with a few twists and turns and decent soundtrack. 7.5/10

April fools

A bunch of collage friends end up staying at one of their friends house on a lake over the weekend. We have a likeable group with some nice twist and turns and dark humour. Was really enjoy up till the twist ending which a lot of people seem to praise, but I just found it to be a letdown and left me feeling what was the point of watching. 7/10

Next up (both not seen before)

Dracula 2000
Faust love of the damned
I love April Fools Day and i taught the twist was great.

keirarts likes this.
Old 19th March 2015, 10:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching this with my other half, a film I'd promised was both scary and excellent judging by all the hype it's been getting recently.
All I can I say is it should be called The Babasfook, because it is without a shadow of a doubt THE worst film I've seen this year, and we've watched a shit tonne of low budget-Poundland specials these past few weeks, what a massive let down, so glad I rented it first!
Yeah, I got the metaphor for her mental illness and all that, but scary? I'd let my kids watch this!
1/10

Edit: The music and sound design were good
Surprised! I adored it.
Old 19th March 2015, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Surprised! I adored it.

That's the general feeling towards it, but it bored us both to death, different strokes I guess
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th March 2015, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict

Indeed. Most people consider The Exorcist to be a masterwork of the genre. I think its a dull jumbled mess of a film.
Rik and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

I like Exorcist up to a point, can never believe it's thought of so highly.
I think it has a good atmosphere, like the Tubular bells theme, like the finding of the relic scenes which i think are powerful due to the disorienting soundtrack.
Absolutely hate the puke scenes which i find juvenile and take me out of the films mood, also i find the crucifix scene to be sensation for it's own sake.
Like the actual performance of Linda blair which to be fair is boosted by the woman who did the demon voice and the visual overlay effects, Max Sydow is good as always but the main priest is dull.
To me it is good, but cannot compare to Texas Chainsaw which throws all the rules out the window, same as Don't look now which is totally sublime and out of the blue in terms of filmmaking. Also the Wicker man which is totally original.
I mean the Devil, Yawn.
The Exorcist to really work it's power has to rely on the actual belief in the Devil, The Wicker man examines religion but even if you don't believe you're still pretty screwed if u find yourself upon the fire.
R-T-C Tim and keirarts like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!