Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2015, 06:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Koyaanisqatsi (Arrow Blu Ray)

Another film that should be in any collection, the music the montage of images and the whole experience are superb. PQ again is off the map, and it makes one hell of a demo disc...........open a few drinks guys turn up the sound and be prepared for a unique experience. 10++++.
PaulD, keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Paddington (2014)

I'm not the biggest fan of this type of thing but something about it from the moment it hit cinemas made me want to see it.

A terrific movie with several laugh out loud moments. Really enjoyed it. Great fun for all the family as it manages to hit all the right bases to give both adults and kids ninety minutes entertainment.

Recommended.
When I saw it at the cinema, it was full of families with young children and my heart sank. However, all the children were well-behaved and the audience really added to the experience, laughing out loud many times and, in the 'chimney scene', even emitting audible gasps and saying "oh no" out loud! There are a few moments where I and other adults laughed and children didn't, particularly at the film references, so it's not a film simply pitched at children.

It is a terrific family film, and one with a brilliant cast from Hugh Bonneville to Sally Hawkins, Julie Walters to Nicole Kidman and, probably most importantly, Ben Wishaw as the voice of Paddington.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict

Agreed, Paddington is great. Definitely not just a kids film.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Agreed, Paddington is great. Definitely not just a kids film.
Agreed, I gave it a 9/10 after watching it at the cinema. A joyous antidote to something like Zombie Flesh Eaters or Cannibal Holocaust.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Koyaanisqatsi (Arrow Blu Ray)

Another film that should be in any collection, the music the montage of images and the whole experience are superb. PQ again is off the map, and it makes one hell of a demo disc...........open a few drinks guys turn up the sound and be prepared for a unique experience. 10++++.
An absolute favorite of mine, everytime I set down to watch it I get drawn into a trance and dont move or look away for the whole length of time. Imagine how ecstatic I was watching the Arrow blu-ray for the first time. The AQ and PQ is positively earth shattering. Phillip Glass's score has never sounded so chilling and vibrant, and despite screenshots look quite grainy, it's amazingly clear in motion. After seeing beat 35mm prints, bootlegs, and finally the old MGM dvd, this really pulls the quality up to the level of the equally amazing Baraka (just saw on 70mm the other night, will review with other films soon), and Samsara, another absolute favourite.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th April 2015, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Vinyan (2008)

Whilst i appreciate describing a film as 'A journey into the heart of darkness' is something of a cliche, it really does sum up Vinyan.

Sitting somewhat uneasily between Apocalypse Now and Cannibal Holocaust, Vinyan is a dark brooding film about a couple who believe they have seen their missing son with a remote forest tribe deep in the Burmese jungle. The quest to find him becomes an obsession for the mother (Emmanuelle BĂ©art) especially, who's character changes and becomes more complex, her mental state clearly eroding the longer the journey up the rivers of Burma continues.

The film is horror certainly, but not in the conventional sense. There are no zombies, ghosts or machete wielding maniacs on offer, no it's horror of the psyche ala Antichrist. In fact it really isn't until the final minute that anything particularly horrific occurs, however when it does it's all the more shocking and effective. The horror builds up throughout as a feeling of dread and foreboding in a film thick with atmosphere.

Beart and Rufus Sewell are the films stars and are on screen the majority of the time. It's the gradual disintigration of their marriage, even their existence, that focuses the film. Beart especially is excellent, often disassociated from events in a trance like world of her own. Her sex scene with Sewell shows how she has abandoned all emotion and shows no response on any level to the act.

I really enjoyed Vinyan, however i can imagine some thinking it boring and have no problem with that...Recommended all the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18977017.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 6th April 2015, 01:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Vinyan (2008)
I seem to remember seeing this at the cinema at the time, thinking it had echoes of Don't Look Now in terms of a couple who have lost a child and struggling to come to terms with life after, and the possibility they may still be alive. If memory serves, I thought the bulk of it was good and affecting (particularly a scene with paper lanterns), but the ending left me cold.

It's probably well overdue another watch and I'll put it on my Lovefilm list.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 6th April 2015, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I seem to remember seeing this at the cinema at the time, thinking it had echoes of Don't Look Now in terms of a couple who have lost a child and struggling to come to terms with life after, and the possibility they may still be alive. If memory serves, I thought the bulk of it was good and affecting (particularly a scene with paper lanterns), but the ending left me cold.

It's probably well overdue another watch and I'll put it on my Lovefilm list.
That's it. Don't Look Now. I just couldn't nail which film it seemed to have the biggest likeness to.
Old 6th April 2015, 02:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched

Zombi Holocaust (1980, "Frank Martin" aka Mario Girolami). (Stonevision UK dvd)
Rewatched this to remind myself before this rerelease comes out. Still bonkers after all these years. Donald O'Brien especially. "You have done your utmost to ruin my work! I should kill you now, but I still crave your brain!!"

PKD: The Penultimate Truth (Emillano Larre, 2007)

An Argentine documentary about Philip K Dick. Covers most of the ground here, though could have been a bit more detailed imo. Worth a look though!!

Frankenstrom (2001, Markus Staaf) (Finnish dvd).

Loony low budget splatter comedy from Finland. After a cocaine binge, two friends have to cover up the death of another friend. Descends into cheapo madness. Recommended??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th April 2015, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beneath the planet of the apes

Not as good as the first but in some ways I enjoy this more . We only see Heston at the begining and the end the story this time evolves around another unfortunate astronaut to crash land on the planet of the apes and a group a mutant humans who worship a nuclear bomb. 8/10

The explorers

An enjoyable joe Dante film about a group of boys( including a young river Phoenix and Ethan hawke ) that build a spacecraft and set off into outer space, through strange dreams that they share. 7.5/10

Dracula (1958)

The first and still the best of the hammer dracula's. Greats job has been done on the restoration, only downside it's over before it begins. 9.5/10

Now watching the whip and the body, can someone tell me why Lee has been dubbed it's a little off putting. After that might watch one of the most bonkers and confusing movies I have seen the visitor and see if I can make any more sense of the plot this time around

Last edited by trebor8273; 6th April 2015 at 08:25 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!