Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180413Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2016, 08:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I thought The Barrens was pretty awful, but good to see you managed to enjoy it Dem.
Old 11th January 2016, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452547721.432436.jpg

Loved this as much as the first time I saw it, I really never understood the criticism both it and Bowie got. It's a wonderful film for both young and old alike (maybe not too young as a lot of scenes scared me as a kid) with great sets, performances from both the human actors and puppets.

A little knowing fact that Gates McFadden( Dr Beverly crusher from Star Trek TNG) was Director of Choreography and Puppet Movement in both this and dark crystal . 9/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th January 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Mimic. When a virus carried by cockroaches begins killing kids en masse in Washington, a scientist (Mira Sorvino) genetically engineers a new insect that is lethal to cockroaches. The operation is a success, but three years later she discovers evidence that the bugs, which were supposed have a limited lifespan, are not only still alive but evolving at a rapid pace into something large and terrifying... Always enjoyed this late 90s big bug horror flick and still do, it's cool, stylish and scary and looks great on Blu-ray.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Mimic. When a virus carried by cockroaches begins killing kids en masse in Washington, a scientist (Mira Sorvino) genetically engineers a new insect that is lethal to cockroaches. The operation is a success, but three years later she discovers evidence that the bugs, which were supposed have a limited lifespan, are not only still alive but evolving at a rapid pace into something large and terrifying... Always enjoyed this late 90s big bug horror flick and still do, it's cool, stylish and scary and looks great on Blu-ray.
It was a box office failure, and a lot of people don't rate it, but it's one I really like. It isn't Guillermo Del Toro's best film – far from it – but even on his worst day he makes better films than most directors ever will.

As you say, the A/V quality on the BD is excellent.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It was a box office failure, and a lot of people don't rate it, but it's one I really like. It isn't Guillermo Del Toro's best film – far from it – but even on his worst day he makes better films than most directors ever will.

As you say, the A/V quality on the BD is excellent.
I saw it at the cinema.

It spawned direct to video sequels so i suppose it must have had something going for it. I haven't actually seen it since that first time i must admit.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I thought The Barrens was pretty awful, but good to see you managed to enjoy it Dem.
Because the first hour was so slow i can understand you thinking it awful. Perhaps i was just in the right mood for it. I can't really see me ever watching it again to be honest.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:57 PM
Cult Master

A few short taughts on a few films i have seen over the last few weeks. Rather not go into too much details about newer releases to avoid and spoilers no matter how small.

Creed_poster.jpg The_Revenant_2015_film_poster.jpg NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg download.jpg We_Are_Still_Here_film_festival_poster_2015.jpg Southpaw_poster.jpg

Creed

Apollo Creeds son turns up at Rocky Balboas restaurant seeking the training and guidance he needs to carry on his fathers legacy. If you are a fan of Rocky or even just Stallone this is a very emotional film. The story is solid and kept within the realms of realism. A must watch for both Rocky and Stallone fans alike.

The Revenant

Leonardo Dicaprio is mauled by a bear and left for dead but a lust for revenge pushes a broken man to the limit and nothing will get in his way of accomplishing his goal. Running about two and a half hours this is a slow paced journey but its shot beautifully and has a real feeling of isolation and great desperation. Great film.

Bone Tomahawk

A stranger arrives in town after desecrating an Indian burial ground and while resisting arrest the sheriff shoots him in the leg and throws him in the slammer for the night. The Sheriff sends for the doctor to tend to the wound but when they turn up at the jail next morning both the doctor and the prisoner have been abducted from the cell. The doctors husband demands that they track her down and he sets off with the sheriff and back up assistant sheriff. The first hour of Bone Tomahawk is more of a dialogue piece which is fine as the dialogue is filled with humour and the characters are very interesting. The last half an hour the pace changes and the pay off is very entertaining.

Tales of Halloween

Ten short stories crammed into 90 minutes and only two of the ten i didnt really care for but the other eight stories were great fun and quite sinister in places. I have to give great credit to the effects used here they did look great with only one story where it look totally stupid and that was the story i didnt care for. I think this may get repeat viewings around October each year just a great fun Halloween film.

We Are Still Here

A couple move to the countryside to try and help with their mourning for the loss of their son in a car crash. The are unaware that the house is occupied by the spirits of a family that was murdered in the house by the locals. At first the wife thinks its the spirit of their son that has followed them to the new house but when they invite some friends from back home to join them all hell breaks loose. This is an enjoyable film but it has the usual jump scares which you just expect . I really would of like a lot more of a back story of what happened in the house its more or less just said in passing. Dont get me wrong its a good film and i enjoyed it alot for what it was.

Southpaw

Billy Hope is on top of the world he is the world champion he has plenty of money a big house and a beautiful wife and daughter that worship the ground he walks on. But while out at a charity event one night his life his turned upside down when his wife is shot and killed accidentally during a row with a rival boxer and his crew. Not only does Billy loose his wife but his daughter is taken into care. In order to get her back Billy must face his demons and get back in the game to show his is a fit father both mentally and financially to look after his daughter.

Jake Gyllenhaal is outstanding and you can tell he is putting his heart and soul into his roles. Some of the scenes between him and his daughter are genuinely heart breaking and i have to take my hat off to the young actress that plays the role of the daughter ( Oona Laurence ) who was so believable. The story sounds like a cliche but the performances really make this film great.
Old 12th January 2016, 08:26 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I got the BD for Christmas as it's one of the last GdT films for my collection, I remember seeing it on video when it came out but not since, I'm keen to re-visit it soon though!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th January 2016, 08:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw it at the cinema.

It spawned direct to video sequels so i suppose it must have had something going for it. I haven't actually seen it since that first time i must admit.
If I remember from the stats I saw yesterday, it only made $25 million of its $30 million budget back at the cinema, which is a poor return. I'm sure what sort of business it did on video/DVD and whether that helped studios decide to invest in sequels.
Old 12th January 2016, 08:30 AM
Cult Addict

Labyrinth

Given the recent sad news it was inevitable that people were going to be digging out their Bowie films to watch. Some may opt for Man who fell to earth, others Merry christmas Mr Lawrence (though the stand out performance in that film will always be Takeshi Kitano) for me its always going to be this one. I remember my Dad taking me to see this at the old flea pit when I was around 6-7 and ordinarily I was one of those chatty little brats that could not shut up at that age but according to my dad it was the first time I'd been totally quiet through a film. I was absolutely riveted by the film and through the years its been a fond favourite of mine. From all the small details that I still pick up on each time I watch it, I'm always discovering something new. The film has some of Jim Henson's greatest creations. The script was written by Terry Jones, then rewritten to the point Jones states there's very little of his material left, however a lot of his humour seems to shine through in the dialogue.
It's a film that can be watched as pure entertainment as a child, however as an adult there are themes that really resonate. Essentially its a film dealing with the transition from childhood to Adulthood. The Labyrinth representing sarahs negotiation of the complex journey of self discovery and acceptance of responsibility. Here is where Bowies casting is a great creative choice. Bowie was on posters in teenage girls rooms across the country (and more than a few boys) as an icon of burgeoning sexual desire for Sarah it adds an extra frisson to the plot that was probably much more apparent to older viewers. Its also great to here Bowie delivering some great material for the soundtrack as well as clearly having great fun with the role.

Joysticks

Lightweight but entertaining comedy from Greydon Clark that centres around the growing arcade scene of the early eighties. Joe don Baker plays a shady businessman intent on having the place shut down. Its entertaining and pretty funny for the most part aside from one point that comes dangerously close to laughing at rape. The real standout for me however was Corinne Bohrer as Patsy, a genuinely great performance and incredibly funny.

Like this? Share it using the links below!