Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's ages since i watched Stakeland. I don't recall much about it.
Brilliant film. I strongly advise a rewatch.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Brilliant film. I strongly advise a rewatch.
I will do then, in a couple of weeks when the football's finished.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I will do then, in a couple of weeks when the football's finished.
Jim Mickle is an excellent director, Cold In July is also very good.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Jim Mickle is an excellent director, Cold In July is also very good.
I've had that in my wish list for months. I'll take the plunge in the next few weeks on your recommendation.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also enjoyed Late Phases. I thought Stakeland was pretty good but nothing special.
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I also enjoyed Late Phases. I thought Stakeland was pretty good but nothing special.
I think i was in the same boat regarding Stakeland or i would have remembered it.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cutting Moments (1997)

A 24 minute short film about the depression and anxieties of a bored suburban housewife seemingly ignored by her sport loving husband with life's monotonous drone eating away at her inside.

You feel for Sarah as she proudly shows off her new dress and make up to hubby who doesn't even raise an eyebrow at how pretty she looks, and it's here that this film takes a disturbing left turn into the world of Michael Haneke and come the end leaves the German's output trailing in it's wake.

In a desperate cry for help Sarah rubs off her red lipstick then rubs even more using a metal pan scrubber leaving her mouth shredded and bloodied, still not convinced she then proceeds to cut her lips off with a pair of scissors, all in graphic detail. I was thinking it may get trimmed by the BBFC but as the camera panned away and down we then see blood and bits of lip pouring onto her breasts. Then the final scenes go all Antichrist (2009) on us.

Powerful, sickening stuff, Cutting Moments was bloody visceral body horror horror out of the blue.

Old 24th June 2016, 11:53 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Cutting Moments (1997)

A 24 minute short film about the depression and anxieties of a bored suburban housewife seemingly ignored by her sport loving husband with life's monotonous drone eating away at her inside.[/IMG][/CENTER]
Very powerful stuff. Douglas Buck is one hell of a filmmaker. I'm so ready for his next project.
Old 24th June 2016, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I KNOW WHO KILLED ME – Was reminded of this one by Dem's recentish review, so pressed 'play' on Netflix and hoped for the best. I saw it maybe five or six years ago, and, as I sat back with a huge bottle of cheap cider and my laptop, remembered feeling 'there was something about it' at the time. Was pleasantly surprised to find that it lived up to my admittedly hazy expectations. L Lohan is a student who, after she's abducted by a serial killer and left for dead, seemingly takes on the identitiy of a stripper. There's the usual hand wringing around psychology and identity before the semi-surprising truth behind it all is revealed. 'I Know Who Killed Me' was panned by most critics on its release, but it's really pretty good. Most of the dis-factor was probably due to the presence of Lohan, and the fact that it's basically a trashy horror thriller that edged into the mainstream. It's not top flight material, but it's stylistically interesting, with a contrived colour scheme which tilts towards the pop theatrics of the Giallo, in keeping with its plotline. There's also some inexplicable but central supernatural / psychic stuff going on to explain Lohan's double-identity. Good, and worth watching if you have it at your disposal.

EYES WIDE SHUT – Kubrik's last film is a voyage through Tom Cruise's sex fantasies (read: mid life crisis). Cruise plays a doctor who, upset by wife Nicole Kidman's revelation that she might've cheated on him in the past had she had more of an opportunity, embarks on a night of erotic adventure after he bumps into a figure from his past. 'Eyes Wide Shut' unfolds elegantly through a tangle of diverging and converging narrative lines, but has something of the flavour of a film like 'After Hours' in that its protagonist has to work through a series of increasingly threatening tableaus to 'get back to the beginning'. At some points it feels like a big budget version of a nineties erotic thriller, then subverts this by throwing in gothic aspects which teeter on Euro-horror – the film's centre piece is a masked orgy, complete with a really prominent Franco-esque zoom-shot. If the events of 'Eyes Wide Shut' are a manifestation of the lead character's sexual subconscious, as is commonly supposed by critics, then you might raise an eyebrow at how vanilla it all is. But 'Eyes Wide Shut' isn't about immersing us in dirt, it's more a study of a relationship in jeopardy and a man's fear of his own lack of control, and the nerves it touches are more intimate, as is its gradually intensifying sinister edge.
Old 24th June 2016, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great reviews as always F!! And here was me thinking EWS was about the moon landings hahaha.

Death Wish V: The Face Of Death (1994, Allan A Goldstein)

Woooh mama. Literally jaw dropping. Seven years after DW4, The Chuck returns with the most "extreme" film in the series. Lawdy!! Micheal Parks excels despite a shitey haircut (take note, Marjoe!! ) as the scumbag-in-charge this time.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!