All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2016, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

13 Frightened Girls (1963)

The penultimate film in the Mill Creek William Castle Horror Classics set (I'm saving The Old Dark House until October). 13 Frightened Girls could never be classed as a horror film, it's barely a thriller, in fact this is actually a light hearted espionage tale about a diplomats daughter who attends a special school for diplomats girls and becomes involved in a Cold War spy ring against the Chinese.

Director William Castle often uses gimmicks in his film but i can't recognize any here, unless it's an attempt to lure the viewer into thinking it's some sort of a slasher film with the 13 Frightened Girls being 13 victims as suggested by the lurid poster. If that's the case then Castle definitely pulled a fast one on me.

Kathy Dunn who plays lead school girl Candy is a breath of fresh air throughout with her bubbly, enthusiastic performance (She reminds me of someone that i can't put a name to) and is ably backed up by Murray Hamilton and Hugh Marlowe with star to be, Alexandra Bastedo as one of the other frightened girls.

As with much of Castle's more (in)famous out put the film is camp and garish in colour with dialogue often so stilted but charming in equal standards as is the dubious xenophobic outlook the film sports. With another actress 13 Frightened Girls could have been a proper mess but it isn't and it's one i think i recommend. Certainly better then 13 Ghosts and Homicidal but not up with the best of Castle ie - Mr Sardonicus and The House on Haunted Hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b70-6854.jpg (42.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th August 2016, 04:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Patricia Tallman's constant whining and screaming makes this completely unwatchable for me. Horrible performance and a pointless remake. I'd prefer to watch the old colourized vhs than this remake.
I would disagree. Each to their own and all that but I really like the way Tallmans character takes charge in spite of the squabbling between Ben and Harry. I would also much prefer this to some bastardised version of the original with glowing green zombies.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th August 2016, 06:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Is that the Criterion Blu ray of Carnival Reaps?
Certainly is mate.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th August 2016, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Supportably your local sheriff

Jason McCullough(James Garner) is passing through the small town of Calendar (on his way to australia) which has just discovered gold and has made the town a rough and lawless place, needing money he decides to take the job of town sheriff he soon upsets the local outlaws the Danby family by arresting the youngest son Joe(Bruce Dern), who set their sites on freeing him and killing our good sheriff. we also have a sub story of the budding romance between McCullough and the mayor's (Harry Morgon), clumsy daughter Prudy. McCullough is joined in his fight by Jake (Jack Elam) who becomes his reluctant Deputy who is one of the highlights of the film, which also include a jail with no bars and inept attempt to brake Joe out of jail. a wonderful fast paced and very funny film, with lots of great scenes and characters looking forward to watching the sequel 8.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th August 2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 8th August 2016, 07:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Support your local sheriff

Jason McCullough(James Garner) is passing through the small town of Calendar (on his way to australia) which has just discovered gold and has made the town a rough and lawless place, needing money he decides to take the job of town sheriff he soon upsets the local outlaws the Danby family by arresting the youngest son Joe(Bruce Dern), who set their sites on freeing him and killing our good sheriff. we also have a sub story of the budding romance between McCullough and the mayor's (Harry Morgon), clumsy daughter Prudy. McCullough is joined in his fight by Jake (Jake Elm) who becomes his reluctant Deputy who is one of the highlights of the film, which also include a jail with no bars and inept attempt to brake Joe out of jail. a wonderful fast paced and very funny film, with lots of great scenes and characters looking forward to watching the sequel 8.5/10
Just saying Treb, it's Jack Elam not Jake Elm.

Old 8th August 2016, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Just saying Treb, it's Jack Elam not Jake Elm.

Fixed
Old 8th August 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Fixed
Well, half fixed.

Jack not Jake.
Old 8th August 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Well, half fixed.

Jack not Jake.
Jake's the name of his character, DOH!

I was close!
Old 8th August 2016, 07:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Jake's the name of his character, DOH!

I was close!
I knew you'd get there in the end.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 8th August 2016, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Superman the move. Screw Henry Cavill, Christopher reeve is Superman!

Like this? Share it using the links below!