Like Tree179852Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2017, 08:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do you think it's an 'age when you first saw it thing' going on, as i only saw both films for the very first time a few years ago and thought them merely okay.

Yeah, I was 11 when I read the book and saw the film, so both made a lasting impression on me at such a young age
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th February 2017, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another good hammer Dracula, this time the dear Count is resurrected by a ritual using his blood, when his servant that resurrected him is killed by a group of businessmen the count seeks revenge. 7.5/10

Next up only god forgives, which is my first viewing.
Old 11th February 2017, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

A Walk Among The Tombstones. Liam Neeson is a private eye hired to track down two men who kidnapped and murdered the wife of a drug dealer, only to realise he's on the track of a pair of vicious serial killers for whom the ransom is just a fun extra. Solid and entertaining modern thriller.
Old 11th February 2017, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not what I was expecting, I was expecting atypical revenge movie which it is in a way. What we get is a slow burning thriller in which Julian (Ryan Gosling) older brother murders a under age sex worker and is killed by her farther. A police detective becomes involved and Julian's mother arrives seeking revenge. None of the characters are very likable, especially the mother who doesn't appear to love her surving son and is hinted at she had a very strange relationship with the dead one. The film for me had a very hypnotic and dream like quality. Not for everyone and I would say a bit of a marmite film but doesn't deserve a lot of the poor reviews it got. 8.5/10
Old 12th February 2017, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I meant to watch and review Body Double last night, but instead got stuck into Pandorum on the horror channel. I must admit that i thought i'd seen it before and spent the first 20 minutes thinking 'i don't remember this bit'. It became obvious i hadn't seen it before. I was thinking of Event Horizon, which apparently was made by the same people. Well, their earlier effort is easily the better of the two films. There are way too many holes in the plot of this film for me to get too engaged in it. Sixty thousand passengers on a hundred year trip to an earth-like planet, some of them are awoken way too early and devolve into flesh-eating mutants (of course, that doesn't happen in that time frame, so gives a clue as to what the characters find out later - they've been asleep for a lot longer than they should have been). The logistics in the film just don't add up unless the evolved mutants shrink in size over the time-frame of the journey - there's just not enough food (other passengers) on board for them to remain human size.

Not great, but passed an hour or two. Certainly wouldn't watch again.
Old 12th February 2017, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
I meant to watch and review Body Double last night, but instead got stuck into Pandorum on the horror channel. I must admit that i thought i'd seen it before and spent the first 20 minutes thinking 'i don't remember this bit'. It became obvious i hadn't seen it before. I was thinking of Event Horizon, which apparently was made by the same people. Well, their earlier effort is easily the better of the two films. There are way too many holes in the plot of this film for me to get too engaged in it. Sixty thousand passengers on a hundred year trip to an earth-like planet, some of them are awoken way too early and devolve into flesh-eating mutants (of course, that doesn't happen in that time frame, so gives a clue as to what the characters find out later - they've been asleep for a lot longer than they should have been). The logistics in the film just don't add up unless the evolved mutants shrink in size over the time-frame of the journey - there's just not enough food (other passengers) on board for them to remain human size.

Not great, but passed an hour or two. Certainly wouldn't watch again.
There's no other way to say this except, Pandorum is absolute garbage.

Quite possibly the worst sci-fi film i've ever seen and i include films from all decades and all countries in that.
Old 12th February 2017, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
There's no other way to say this except, Pandorum is absolute garbage.

Quite possibly the worst sci-fi film i've ever seen and i include films from all decades and all countries in that.
I've seen lots of worse films than this one. No way i'd watch it again, but your propensity towards hyperbole strikes again!

Yes, i've swallowed a dictionary.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th February 2017, 01:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I've seen lots of worse films than this one. No way i'd watch it again, but your propensity towards hyperbole strikes again!

Don't worry Dem's you can get a cream for hyperbole's.

Old 12th February 2017, 02:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

No. I genuinely think it would be the bottom of the pile if i were to do a list of every sci-fi film i've seen. I've seen it twice and totally hated it both times.

It has no redeeming features whatsoever and zero entertainment value.

Name some of the worse films, Deadite, i'm intrigued to see what you come up with.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th February 2017, 04:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
No. I genuinely think it would be the bottom of the pile if i were to do a list of every sci-fi film i've seen. I've seen it twice and totally hated it both times.

It has no redeeming features whatsoever and zero entertainment value.

Name some of the worse films, Deadite, i'm intrigued to see what you come up with.
That will be a strange conversation. Me naming films i think are worse on a film you consider the worst sci-fi you've ever seen. Where's it going to get us other than in an argument?

Defining the parameters of what you consider sci-fi might be a start. Is The Wasp Woman sci-fi for you? Virus? Congo? The 10th Victim? (not suggesting they are worse btw, just wondering where the line is drawn). It can be a very large genre under certain standards or quite niche if you only count spaceships 'n' lazers as sci-fi. Our definitions might differ and then the conversation is totally different.

Like this? Share it using the links below!