Old 3rd March 2017, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
A perfectly fine opinion to have.
Hows your back doing, Deadite?

I won't mention it every day, but seeing as you spoke about it yesterday i thought i'd ask.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Dogging work to go to the pictures......
I misread that , thought u said you was dogging at work where my glasses when you need them
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th March 2017, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict

watched yakuza apocalypse. the action-horror hybrid from takashi miike.
the basic plot is this. yakuza boss kamiura is a vampire, his most loyal member kageyama, watches the boss die from mysterious assassins and takes his place as a vampire. vowing revenge kageyama then decides to take on the rest of the gang and find the men who killed his boss. the plot is just hilarious but what it likes in a good story it makes up with great action and a memorable badass in a frog costume. what rather dampens it is the ending, which is so sequel-bait.
7/10 only for the absurdity of the film
Old 4th March 2017, 04:45 PM
Cult Addict

Vampyre (1990)

Regional weirdness that makes little sense in a village plagued by vampires and witches. Excellent stuff for fans of dumbarse sliding into surreal art and back again. I spent most of the film trying to figure out when it was set...some people are dressed as medieval peasants, the women all have a Stevie Nicks vibe, there is a mishmash of trench and overcoats for the men and of course, big silky knickers and cape for the Queen vampire as she rides around with her breasts out on horse back. Oh yeah, the hero is wearing a modern suit complete with tie grip. Filmed over several weekends and then some as the distributors wanted added nudity, extra scenes had to be filmed, this has the stink of Andy Milligan minus the excessive dialogue all over it. It looks and feels like it was made in the early 70s and benefits because of this. Odd and not for everyone.

Man in Heels

Excellent Korean film about a hard as nails cop who wants to quit the police force and have a sex change. This is very impressive as it mixes bloody martial arts scenes with flashbacks to the hero's first gay love at school and the unfolding of the hero's mental state and loyalties as he battles gangsters and his own tortured psyche. Worth a look.

Kickboxing Vengeance.

Basically a remake of the first film but with JCVD in the role of teacher. It tries and mostly succeeds at capturing the spirit and feel of the first film but also includes fight scenes that are more modern in style too. 3 quid in Asda at the moment.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Logan (2017) - 4/5

How that wasn't rated an 18 is beyond me haha.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:37 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Logan (2017) - 4/5

How that wasn't rated an 18 is beyond me haha.

Yeah, someone saw it before it had been classified and said they could well imagine the discussions going on at the BBFC about whether it could scrape by with a 15.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict

watched the mist before work
the plot centres around agroup of people trapped in a supermarket while a mist envelops he town. at first there is no explanation as to whether this is the end of days or what and many of the folks turn to god and a crazy nutjob for guidance. a well written movie and it has a very cruel ending. cgi is dated, but despite these little gripes. still is a brilliant horror movie.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Study in Terror (1965)

Fascinating Sherlock Holmes film where the great detective and faithful friend Dr. Watson get involved in the Jack the Ripper case.

I can imagine this infuriating both Holmes and Ripper purists as Sherlock not only solves the case but in it being something he was never originally involved in.

John Neville makes for a rather fine Sherlock Holmes and it's a pity this was his one and only performance but Donald Houston's Watson gets lost in a role that is only sporadically well written. On the whole the casting is good in this Tony Tenser production. Frank Finlay is memorable as Inspector Lestrade (Wonder where Abberline is?) and Robert Morley plays Mycroft like only Morley can.

Playing out as much a Gothic horror as it is a Holmes story, the film features some gruesome murders for 1965 and thankfully dispatches the typically whiny, one dimensional Barbara Windsor, quite quickly at the hands of the ripper.

Pacy and involving, i rather enjoyed A Study in Terror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Affiche-studyinterror-1965-quad.jpg (49.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 4th March 2017, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.
I keep forgetting about the B&W version. I think it's Frank Darabonts preference isn't it?
bleakshaun likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!