All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2017, 01:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Day of the Triffids (1962)

For a first time viewing i was a little disappointed with The Day of the Triffids. For a post apocalyptic film it seems to lack the threat of battling for survival in a strange new world albeit a world we already live in. It feels flat due to lack of zip and decidedly average direction, with only the lighthouse scenes (which since watching i've found out were directed by Freddie Francis, not credited director Steve Sekerly, and added to the movie at post production) standing out, as far as atmosphere and terror go.

There are moments of suspense such as the attack on the house and the initial Triffid lighthouse scene but it's a shame to say this, the Triffids are quite poorly realised, seemingly being pushed and pulled around by offscreen stage hands.The clunkiness of it all makes it feel like a 60's Doctor Who story rather than a feature film. For the most part the film is a rampaging monster fest rather than the original John Wyndham novels emphasis on surviving the apocalypse. The way the Triffids are dealt with - salt water - smacks of the War of the Worlds easy solution as does leading the plants away by using the sound from an ice cream van.

Despite some reservations The Day of the Triffids isn't a bad film, it's just an average film very loosely based on a classic post apocalyptic novel. The BBC's 1981 tv version is a far more faithful version of the story. It's also a far more chilling experience.

The new Screenbound dvd is average at best. The picture is quite soft in places and works best in the studio shot scenes. The sound quality is excellent.
I rather enjoyed this to be honest.
As a genre there has been a few killer plant movies,segment in Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors , Donald Pleasance turning young 1970s students into plants in The Mutations,Steve King going green in The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill episode of Creepshow and Im sure there is another killer vine movie out there somewhere's and there has bound to of been at least one Dr Who episode with a rampaging plant in its story. I suppose on the whole we see plants as rather sedentary and placid things,plus they do not have legs which makes it easy to runaway from. Still this all changed with John Wyndham's novel The Day of the Triffids,as these lumbering penis shaped rose bushes manage to waddle around quite well and blind and kill anybody they came across including the odd canine.Of course when ever its gets a bit Beyond the Thunderdome on earth,its not just the killer plants that are the problem but the surviving humans,most of which are blinded by a meteorite,are bumping into things and just generally annoying each other.In this 1962 adaptation Howard Keel is the last man standing as he was all bandaged up in hospital ,(how convenient a plot device) when the rest of the planet was getting bombarded by an early fireworks night. Its no secret that 28 Days Later (2002) was influenced by this part of the story,which is good because they ripped it off whole sale id say. But like slow zombies and the Inland revenue,the Triffids always manage to get you when you least expect it.And while they might look like the kind of trees you would get in a school play,the Triffids in this version do have a kind of weird nightmare appearance,even if they do shuffle along like an old lady .Its all great B-movie fun,especially when Keel goes all Rambo with his machine gun,something he never did in Dallas.

Old 15th April 2017, 01:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
That's no way to speak of Solaris.
There is only one Solaris!

All copies of Clooney's version need to be ejected out of the nearest airlock into deep space.
Old 15th April 2017, 01:52 PM
Cult Master

What have you done to Solange ?

Quite disappointed after hearing so much praise like i said earlier the word masterpiece is used so many times to describe this. Heavy on TA&M light on blood so many better giallos out there that have gotten far less praise

6/10
Old 15th April 2017, 02:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Gialli isn't really arthouse, although it does certainly make use of its visual aesthetic / colour palette at times and comparisons can certainly be drawn.

Plus, I kind of agree in many ways, as certain gialli have become more 'mainstream' due to modern homages and directors like QT and Eli Roth bigging them up, they have consequently drawn a more modern mainstream following and I've no doubt that certain viewers give certain films more of a pass as they're seen to be cool rather than actually enjoying them / not enjoying them for what they are. Or as you've mentioned, just assuming that they're great without even seeing them for themselves for whatever reason.

A lot of the more mainstream gialli offerings are not necessarily as good as some of the more obscure offerings in my opinion - some of which are much more crazier and trippier than their more well-known cousins. Some had to employ plot-arcs and situations that would make them stand out from the crowd. Unless you're prepared to dig deeper into the gialli melting pot then a lot of the mainstream offerings are all you have to reference too, and a strong name in the director's chair, bigger production budgets and larger awareness does not necessarily mean they're the cream of the crop. It's just like the slasher craze. There are some great under-seen gems that are a little more creative with their formula and some of the more mainstream ones are very dreary, yet attract more acclaim due to being more well-known and popular with the masses. Maybe that's just me though... maybe I do like a lot of shit and the mainstream ones that everyone else likes are truly great.

Plus, I wouldn't consider myself a 'mob' in any respect!
Which ones are you a fan of?
Old 15th April 2017, 02:22 PM
Cult Master

IMAG0295.jpg IMAG0296.jpg

Long time since i last saw this not sure if what i remember is part 2 or this one.
Old 15th April 2017, 02:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Welp (2014, Jonas Govaerts)

A cub scout troop encounter some REAL wildlife when they go on a nature trip. Far more conventional than I was expecting ... but still some nice touches. Worth a look (if you can find it ahem!)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2017, 03:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Welp (2014, Jonas Govaerts)

A cub scout troop encounter some REAL wildlife when they go on a nature trip. Far more conventional than I was expecting ... but still some nice touches. Worth a look (if you can find it ahem!)

Is it not available anymore? It had a UK release as Cub a couple of years back.
Old 15th April 2017, 03:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Is it not available anymore? It had a UK release as Cub a couple of years back.
It's available to buy new and used at Amazon. I watched this Cub release, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cub-Welp-DV...dp/B00UFT9U5M/
Old 15th April 2017, 03:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's available to buy new and used at Amazon. I watched this Cub release, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cub-Welp-DV...dp/B00UFT9U5M/
Ha,ha Nice price!

I thought it must still be available. D threw me saying 'if you can find it'.
Old 15th April 2017, 03:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ha,ha Nice price!

I thought it must still be available. D threw me saying 'if you can find it'.
It's £7.79 direct from Music Magpie!

Like this? Share it using the links below!