Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2017, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Alien (1979)

****1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th May 2017, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Drownsman (2014)

After almost drowning in a lake a girl gets a complete fear of water and becomes convinced a supernatural entity is going to drown her. Aquaphobia in the extreme as she can't even drink a glass of water and has to take it via an IV.

The Drownsman is one of those films that sounded good due to great poster artwork and back cover synopsis - a serial killer using the medium of water - but what plays out on screen is a distinctly tepid affair.

The Drownsman lacks any sort of tension or horror. There's no gore whatsoever and the set pieces become risible rather than thrilling. It's okay the killer coming out of the bathwater and brutally drowning someone, but when it's a splash of water on the front room table and a girl is pulled inside said splash then it becomes more comical than anything.

By the end i was bored stiff and wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Drownsman_2014_film_poster.jpg (42.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 14th May 2017, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Alien: Covenant was pretty good, not amazing, not terrible but somewhere between mediocre and entertaining

There is lots of visceral realistic looking gore and a lot of high tension. Some of the script is a little unintentionally funny and the crew of the ship do the stupidest things, but it's an (almost) horror film so they have to be picked off one-by-one right?

Worth seeing I'd say, much better than Prometheus.

The Baywatch trailer looked really fun though

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th May 2017, 06:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Alien: Covenant was pretty good, not amazing, not terrible but somewhere between mediocre and entertaining

There is lots of visceral realistic looking gore and a lot of high tension. Some of the script is a little unintentionally funny and the crew of the ship do the stupidest things, but it's an (almost) horror film so they have to be picked off one-by-one right?

Worth seeing I'd say, much better than Prometheus.

The Baywatch trailer looked really fun though
I see Danny McBride is in it, a non-comical role I take it anygood?
Justin101 likes this.

Old 14th May 2017, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I see Danny McBride is in it, a non-comical role I take it anygood?
I'm not familiar with him as an actor, a lot of people were surprised to see him in this kind of role, and yes, he is one of the better crew members and has quite a good part to play!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th May 2017, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A bit of a missing lessing title as you expect something along this lines of the puppet master films, what we have is a doll maker that shrinks people to keep him company and their attempts to escape and recover to normal size. 5.5/10

Next up the giant claw and maybe the devils wedding night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GiantClawmp.jpg (54.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg devils-wedding-night-dimension-pictures-poster.jpg (103.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th May 2017, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hercules (2014)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th May 2017, 10:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A pilot/engineer is ridiculed when he says his plane was destroyed by a giant bird, but is soon asked to hunt it down when it attacks other aircraft, the military try to stop it but noting is effective including nuclear weapons, this is thanks to it emitting a antimatter force field , its up to the engineer to come up with a way to stop big bird( which looks like a giant turkey with mange ) this envoles some star trek technobable. 6/10

Now watching
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brain_from_planet_arous_poster_02.jpg (97.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 14th May 2017, 10:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bigfoot tapes aka bigfoot County 2012

After hearing about an alleged big foot attack 3 person documentary crew travel to the area and explore to see if the urban legend is true.

This is a lost found footage film that should have stayed lost in the vaults. It's a cross between The Blair Witch Project and Troll Hunter. I got this dvd in pound land and still feel ripped off the movie goes nowhere and the end is predictable avoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (99.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th May 2017, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Bigfoot tapes aka bigfoot County 2012

After hearing about an alleged big foot attack 3 person documentary crew travel to the area and explore to see if the urban legend is true.

This is a lost found footage film that should have stayed lost in the vaults. It's a cross between The Blair Witch Project and Troll Hunter. I got this dvd in pound land and still feel ripped off the movie goes nowhere and the end is predictable avoid
Is that the one where nothing happens at all until the last five minutes when the group are attacked and get dragged off in broad daylight? You only see Bigfoot in the distance, the main threat is hill billies?

Like this? Share it using the links below!