Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent reviews, kierarts.
Definitely. Nice work, K.
Old 20th July 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yeah, great reviews
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th July 2017, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Nice write-ups, Kierarts.

I'm definitely getting back to Romero with Season of the Witch when I'm done with the original Planet of the Apes series, and I'm going to watch the majority of his body of work.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 20th July 2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 20th July 2017, 04:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great reviews there K!

Rules Don't Apply (2016, Warren Beatty)
Howard Hughes "biopic" focussing on the later period of his life. Yes, Beatty plays HH. Ahem, only reason I kept watching this was for Lilly Collins (she pretty, amazing considering whom her dada is ), as WB has never really done anything for me. Decent period detail also.

Later....

50 Shades Darker (mate gave me both )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th July 2017, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I finally got around to watching The Void last night, I've had the disc in my LoveFilm pile for about three weeks. My usual rule with something I've read great things about is it to wait and leave it until I could really do to send it back.
I really enjoyed The Void, it has some great imagery and atmosphere. It certainly reminded me of Hellraiser, Silent Hill and Fulci's The Beyond. It's certainly worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.
Old 20th July 2017, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm revisiting the TV show next, which is set roughly a thousand years after the film series. I've already posted that I re-watched the original (**** out of *****).

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

**1/2 out of *****

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)

***1/2 out of *****

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)

*** out of *****

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

** out of *****

RANKED:

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 20th July 2017, 06:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It has been awhile since I saw them, but that's going to change as I've recently seen the prequel trilogy and now want to progress to the original series, but I'm certain that Beneath the Planet of the Apes was my favourite sequel, with Battle for the Planet of the Apes as my least favourite.

I plan to do something similar to what kierarts did and write reviews of the recent 'Apes' films and may do the same with the other five.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We all know the story. Julian ( Arnie) is the product of genetic manipulation to breed the perfect man, 35 years after his birth he is told that he has a twin brother and promptly sets out to find him, he soon finds him, but while Julian is kind, honest and physically perfect his brother (Devito) is the complete opposite.

Touching and very funny and the two leads play off each other perfectly. It also showed that Arnie had a knack for comedy. 9/10
Old 20th July 2017, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the director's cut of Clive Barker's Nightbreed. A hugely ambitious fantasy film created using inventive pre-cgi techniques, and with a Danny Elfman score. The director's cut lasts 2 hours - about 20 mins longer than theatrical but there are actually 40 mins worth of changes including a completely different finale. This cut is a significant improvement over theatrical imo although I do like both versions. Film score - 8/10.

The Cabal cut has recently been announced for blu-ray release - please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that this version will run 35 mins longer than the director's cut. Unlike some other members, I haven't seen it so am unsure as to how much value that extra footage will add to the film. Some of that additional Cabal footage comes from VHS source so it will look pretty rough at times.

I watched a Spanish bootleg of Nightbreed by infamous pirate firm, Resen. Is actually a straight clone of the region locked US release as regards PQ and English AQ (which is very decent). Is also a pressed disc so is indiscernible from an official copyrighted blu-ray. Link for ordering in case anyone is after a full-hd director's cut region friendly version of Nightbreed:

https://www.amazon.es/Razas-Noche-Ed...razas+de+noche

Like this? Share it using the links below!