Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180036Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2017, 08:16 AM
Cult Addict

Thor Ragnarok

Possibly the best Thor film in that it adopts the tone of Guardians of the galaxy, drops in lots of dry humour and they seem to be getting closer at nailing the Hulk effects. People who don't like Marvel wont be sold. The big highlight for me is Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster, playing the character as a lounge lizard dictator.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

BABY SITTER – There I was, twiddling my thumbs and wondering when the high school sass was going to give way to “comedy horror” (groan), when along came enough surprisingly vicious gore to catapult this into being 'Home Alone: The Mordum Years'. Heh heh, not quite, but 'The Baby Sitter' does make something of a turnaround after looking like it might be one of those tweeny borefests, and the last hour is a riot of gruesome misanthropy with only a smidge of mawkishness to remind us that, hey, kids and violent murder are not supposed to mix, right? But Netflix does mix it well here, and 'The Baby Sitter' is an unexpected treat. Slick, entertaining and recommended.

NEKROMANTIK 2 – Chilly artfest with some slime at points – actually, plenty of slime, although watching 'Nekromantik 2' after all these years had me transfixed and mesmerised rather than rushing for a shower afterwards. It picks up pretty much where the first one left off – this time, we have Monika M as the taboo-busting corpse fancier whilst some dude from Manchester makes tentative overtures towards less maggoty romance with her. Needless to say, the latter approach only works up to a point. A film for all those who have ever fantasised about that leftover broccoli in the fridge being a mouldy severed penis. 'Nekromantik 2' moves with a pace as glacial as its atmosphere, but draws out a real fascination from the viewer, or it did from me. It's not just the morbid stuff, I do find Buttgereit generally to be a really hypnotic filmmaker, at least with respect to this one and the likes of 'Schramm'. It's not all bleak grimness – it's actually pretty funny. What can I say? Dead good but probably marmite, watch it.

SUN CHOKE – Creepy indie horror drama about a person in a strange situation with Barbara Crampton. Babz is some kind of domineering personal assistant who controls the life of a blank-faced but increasingly dangerous-seeming woman. We don't get to know a whole lot about either character, but 'Sun Choke' carefully feeds us fragments of a partially glimpsed backstory as it weaves its heavily elliptical way through a narrative of control, manipulation and, yep, brutal murder. Enigmatic to the last, I found myself frustrated by it for the first half hour or so, then increasingly drawn in and riveted as it wound towards a pretty desperate conclusion. For those who aren't hung up on easy answers.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Thor Ragnarok

Possibly the best Thor film in that it adopts the tone of Guardians of the galaxy, drops in lots of dry humour and they seem to be getting closer at nailing the Hulk effects. People who don't like Marvel wont be sold. The big highlight for me is Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster, playing the character as a lounge lizard dictator.
I'm really dubious about this one after watching the final trailer the other week. I think that I'll skip the cinema and wait until I inevitably add it to my collection in the spring and watch it in the comfort of my own home! So far Phase 3 has had 2 ups (Civil War/Guardians 2) and 2 downs (Spidey/Strangey) and my gut feeling is that this one is going to be stuck in the middle of the two.

My fingers are truly crossed for Black Panther and Infinity War.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2017, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm really dubious about this one after watching the final trailer the other week. I think that I'll skip the cinema and wait until I inevitably add it to my collection in the spring and watch it in the comfort of my own home! So far Phase 3 has had 2 ups (Civil War/Guardians 2) and 2 downs (Spidey/Strangey) and my gut feeling is that this one is going to be stuck in the middle of the two.

My fingers are truly crossed for Black Panther and Infinity War.

It's very much got it's directors sense of humour. My vue is £4.99 a film so I go a lot more these days. We've got saw, death of Stalin and 4k breakfast club all coming this week.
Old 27th October 2017, 11:19 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
It's very much got it's directors sense of humour. My vue is £4.99 a film so I go a lot more these days. We've got saw, death of Stalin and 4k breakfast club all coming this week.
I have a Cineworld about 20-30 minutes away, where I'm still going to use my Unlimited card, but we have a new Vue multiplex in town with a good variety of films (sadly no The Death of Stalin) at £4.99. I am planning to go on Monday to see Thor: Ragnarok when (hopefully) my dissertation is finished.
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

3 great reviews Frankie!!! Kudos etc etc.

The Wild Geese (1978, Andrew V McLaglen)

This being a French dvd (R2, english track etc) we got in today, along with White Fang and Children Of Men. We've had a few foreign releases over the years, mainstream mush mostly. Even though I write "ENGLISH LANGUAGE" in foot high letters on the stickers .... they never sell ....

I digress.
Richard Burton and Richard Harris are so pissed they think they are mercenaries charged with rescuing an African folk hero. They con a few mates into coming along, and it's only when they land in the sweltering heat that they sober up and realise people are really shooting at them.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th October 2017, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

1922 (2017)

65/100
Old 27th October 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
1922 (2017)

65/100
That score doesn't really fill me with much confidence or say whether I should spend my time watching it in the next few days.

Is it worth watching, or should I use that time to watch something I know is brilliant and/or enjoyable?
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of The Comet (1984, Thom Eberhardt)

Catherine Mary Stewart. At the time, I hated it. Callow that I were. Now I see a rather blank, intentional sterile wee film. Geoffrey Lewis and Mary Woronov!! Chakotay! Ahem. Villains that seethe!! Slightly nastier than I remembered!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th October 2017, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict

The Burning
A group of teenagers play a prank on a summer camp caretaker which leaves him burned, badly. The caretaker leaves hospital and goes to the nearest summer camp and proceeds to kill of the teens with a set of shears.
A film I haven't watched for years. I do enjoy this film, the gore effects look great and the kills are satisfying, however I do feel it does slow for most of the film.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!