Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched the original star wars trilogy before i see the new film on monday.

9/10

10/10

8/10

force awakens tomorrow now back to watch the clone wars TV show
Old 16th December 2017, 08:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Time Machine. Classic sci-fi based on the fiction of HG Wells. As Rod Taylor has to carry the film for large segments, he does a really good job. He plays your stereotypical Victorian inventor type that happens to create a machine that travels through time. The film is bookended by the largely humdrum dinners with his friends - firstly to display his miniature prototype, and then when he tries to convince them the story he has narrated during the film was true. The meat of the tale is his gradual progress into the future until he flings himself into the 80th century (or is it 800th? Not sure) where he intervenes in the (one-sided) battle between the passive Eloi, who are basically human livestock bred by the subterranean Morlocks. Roddy boy, like any good humanist, teaches the Eloi violence and they defeat the Morlocks. At the end he returns to rebuild the future and make little Eloi with his squeeze, Weena - despite the difference in age that he is self-aware enough to note more than once during the film.

I expect that the effects were state of the art for the time and they are certainly not disgraced by the blu-ray treatment.
Old 16th December 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

Gremlins
A small town is turned upside thanks to a cute little creature who gets water poured on him by mistake.
I'm not really gonna right a review of this, because I love this film, the stop motion is fun, many of the gremlins having personalities and an old lady flying out a window.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 17th December 2017, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 16th - The Sleeping Room (2014)

Set in modern day Sussex, this is an interesting film about a young prostitute who discovers a hidden room in a Brighton brothel. A room full of antique celluloid projectors which allude to snuff movies and other horrors from the turn of the 20th century.

Coming across as very voyeuristic with it's scopes and two way mirrors allowing us to see a murky Gothic netherworld from the past, it also allowed the film to crawl out of the usual horror cliches and be it's own shadowy creature.

Having said that, The Sleeping Room reminded me of Neil Jordan's Byzantium from a couple of years prior in the way Brighton was depicted as a decaying husk. Being structured in it's pace and allowing the characters to breathe might mean some find the film slow going but all in all i rather enjoyed The Sleeping Room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sr2.jpg (69.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 17th December 2017, 08:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Conjuring 2. A little girl becomes the centre of a terrifying haunting in an ordinary English suburb in the 70s in the sequel to the original hit. My opinion of this is pretty much the same as when I saw it at the cinema last year - generally very good, some extremely frightening scenes especially in the first half, great performances, but it's a little too long (at 2hrs 15 it's a good 20 minutes longer than the original, which seems excessive), with a couple of silly bits (and am I really the only one who finds the nun more daft than scary? The old man is scarier!) and the climax veers on being so OTT it comes dangerously close to losing my interest. Still, like I said, generally very enjoyable, even if I do still prefer the original and probably Annabelle Creation too.
Old 17th December 2017, 08:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It has its faults as others have said it's all over the place and could of done with a tighter script that wasn't a rehash of a new hope, the scene with Han and the monsters on the ship was not needed and why did Han not just go straight to Leia the whole line that he was running from his past just didn't cut it for me, Kylo Ren had to be the worst sith/ Jedi but seems this has been fixed for new film, Rey shouldn't of been able to beat him that easily after just picking up a light saber but then there are different classes of Jedi so she might be more gifted in combat, but that doesn't explain how Finn could use a light saber, but still fun too be had thanks largely to the banter between Han and Chewie, and who didn't have a smile on there face when they saw the Falcon! 6.9/10

After watching the season 2 episode of Smallville, rosseta with Christopher Reeve have decided to watch superman (1978) i will say it now there is only one superman and his name was Christopher Reeve.
Old 17th December 2017, 11:14 PM
Cult Addict

Rogue One

258128-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

The first time i've seen this since the cinema and really enjoyed it again.
I'm not going into the story as i'm sure everyones seen it by now, just going to say that i like the darker tone and more downbeat vibe the film exudes, to me it just feels a little more adult and riskier than a lot of the other films.

Also love the design that ties in with the originals and the references such as original style stormtroopers and AT-AT style vehicles, even the newer stuff like the black Stormtroopers and new droid fit in well, also the focus was a lot more on the humans and the downplaying of creatures worked well.

At times it feels like more of a war film, and although a pretty straightforward story i felt this let the humanity shine through, rather than focusing on Jedi's and their superhuman powers.
The closest we get is the Kung Fu blind guy who stands out and kicks ass, also the main woman is very good i thought.

The main Darth Vader scene i really like because he just seems more powerful than ever, and it's pretty juicy how it leads in to the original films.

Ok so there's a bit of a problem with the Cushing and Fisher scene's but i didn't find it as off putting on the T.V, i don't actually mind the scenes they just could have been a bit more discrete and with a less is more approach they would have worked better.

Still all in all i rate this in the top 3 with A new hope and Empire.
(haven't seen the new one yet.)
9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th December 2017, 12:42 AM
Cult Addict

Star wars the last Jedi

Second (or possibly third) film I've seen this year where there's been a reported disconnect with the critics and the fans. Great thought I. This means I'll like it. And I did.

I think I know what happened.

The critics went in and judged it as a film. Its a solidly entertaining ride that gets a little flabby in its second act but pays off with its third. Characters develop. Things are revealed. And not all of it like the deluge of sh*te that's been appearing in my social media feed all year long.

And there's where the fans come in. People invested in the secret lineage of certain characters, whether the villain is some shadowy behind the scenes puppet master. Whether it'll all tie up in a neat bow or whether they can turn to their friends and say "see I was right". These people probably sat there feeling totally screwed that its not more fan service like force awakens. I liked force awakens but after the awful mess of the prequels it feels like they might have wanted people to know that the new creative team were fans of the originals. Unfortunately for some its an 'iron man 3' in that it decides not to pander and instead try and tell a story that might still offer a little bit of surprise to people who are used to getting everything spoon fed to them prior to release.

Are these fans wrong to feel this way... Well I can't tell people how to feel, nor should I. And if Hollywood wants to complain well they created this beast thats now biting their hand.

Either way. I saw a good movie tonight that's along with the earlier Rogue one has been the most fun I've had with Star wars in a long time. Consider me sold on it.
Old 18th December 2017, 07:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Star wars the last Jedi

Second (or possibly third) film I've seen this year where there's been a reported disconnect with the critics and the fans. Great thought I. This means I'll like it. And I did.

I think I know what happened.

The critics went in and judged it as a film. Its a solidly entertaining ride that gets a little flabby in its second act but pays off with its third. Characters develop. Things are revealed. And not all of it like the deluge of sh*te that's been appearing in my social media feed all year long.

And there's where the fans come in. People invested in the secret lineage of certain characters, whether the villain is some shadowy behind the scenes puppet master. Whether it'll all tie up in a neat bow or whether they can turn to their friends and say "see I was right". These people probably sat there feeling totally screwed that its not more fan service like force awakens. I liked force awakens but after the awful mess of the prequels it feels like they might have wanted people to know that the new creative team were fans of the originals. Unfortunately for some its an 'iron man 3' in that it decides not to pander and instead try and tell a story that might still offer a little bit of surprise to people who are used to getting everything spoon fed to them prior to release.

Are these fans wrong to feel this way... Well I can't tell people how to feel, nor should I. And if Hollywood wants to complain well they created this beast thats now biting their hand.

Either way. I saw a good movie tonight that's along with the earlier Rogue one has been the most fun I've had with Star wars in a long time. Consider me sold on it.
It's strange you mention iron man 3 as that was my favourite, I liked how they did something different, less fan service is good for me , wasn't it one of the things that the fans complained about with force awakens?

So from what I remember it's 3 or 4 that liked the film compared too 2 or 1 that didn't on the site?
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th December 2017, 08:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's strange you mention iron man 3 as that was my favourite, I liked how they did something different, less fan service is good for me , wasn't it one of the things that the fans complained about with force awakens?

So from what I remember it's 3 or 4 that liked the film compared too 2 or 1 that didn't on the site?
Some people have really turned against it. I can't really see why other than it really goes against a lot of the expectations that were being built online. I use Iron Man 3 as a comparison because like that, for me it was for the better.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!