Like Tree179713Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2017, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December 22nd - Killer Workout (1987)

Aka Aerobicide - Killer knocks off members of an aerobics class one by one using a safety pin. Cue overlong scenes of aerobics with an ever decreasing class.

Not exactly a highlight of 80's slashers.
Sounds like a Murder Rock (1984) rip-off.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd December 2017, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Vince Vaughn as you've not seen him before. I landed on this as just something to watch, did not expect much, more of a spare time filler. Really enjoyed it, very violent and I love a good prison film. Whilst the plot is not Mensa territory it did have a touch of originality about. There are a few actor and actresses who need to break away from picking up easy pay cheques starring in Romcom tosh and walking through roles without being stretched, Jason Bateman is another prime example in Ozark on Netflix (which I would highly recommend) he is fantastic in this. Vince Vaughn, though I am not a big fan of his, will be seen differently by myself after this role.

Some of the violence scenes ( and there are many ) were graphic and bloody great, head stomping, arm snapping and the camera does not shy away.

Vince has to work his way into Prison to kill someone to get himself out of a very sticky situation. How he does this is great, emotionless graphic scenes ensue.

I had not heard much if anything about this film so had no expectations, which is always a good thing. If you like violent / prison movies and you have not seen this give it a spin, well worth your time.

solid 7/10

Last edited by profondo rosso; 23rd December 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 23rd December 2017, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The only films of Dario Argento I have not seen are Mother of Tears,Giallo and Dracula one he did,Those three have received so many bad reviews I am not sure I want to,Are they worth a try or avoid them?
Mother of Tears is actually very entertaining. Any Argento film which pretty much opens with a woman being strangled by her own intestines is worth checking out imo. It's much better than Giallo and Dracula.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 23rd December 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Brawl in Cell Block 99

Vince Vaughn as you've not seen him before. I landed on this as just something to watch, did not expect much, more of a spare time filler. Really enjoyed it, very violent and I love a good prison film. Whilst the plot is not Mensa territory it did have a touch of originality about. There are a few actor and actresses who need to break away from picking up easy pay cheques starring in Romcom tosh and walking through roles without being stretched, Jason Bateman is another prime example in Ozark on Netflix (which I would highly recommend) he is fantastic in this. Vince Vaughn, though I am not a big fan of his, will be seen differently by myself after this role.

Some of the violence scenes ( and there are many ) were graphic and bloody great, head stomping, arm snapping and the camera does not shy away.

Vince has to work his way into Prison to kill someone to get himself out of a very sticky situation. How he does this is great, emotionless graphic scenes ensue.

I had not heard much if anything about this film so had no expectations, which is always a good thing. If you like violent / prison movies and you have not seen this give it a spin, well worth your time.

solid 7/10

I'm looking forward to checking this one out as the directors previous film Bone Tomahawk is superb.
Old 23rd December 2017, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm looking forward to checking this one out as the directors previous film Bone Tomahawk is superb.
The trailer does not do the film justice J.

Unlike most films today where the trailer is better than the movie, this one under sells it.

The only downside is the naff title (although it makes sense after viewing it) with a little imagination they could have come up with something a bit more......imaginative?
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd December 2017, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Sounds like a Murder Rock (1984) rip-off.
Sadly it's not a patch on Fulci's film.
Old 23rd December 2017, 06:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
The trailer does not do the film justice J.

Unlike most films today where the trailer is better than the movie, this one under sells it.

The only downside is the naff title (although it makes sense after viewing it) with a little imagination they could have come up with something a bit more......imaginative?
I saw Vince Vaugn interviewed on Jonathon Ross a few weeks back. They showed some clips then, given I'm not a particularly big fan of Vaugns edgy nervous laugh style of acting he looked awesome in this.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 23rd December 2017, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Its official now , its Christmas. 10/10

Great fun filled movie, thanks to the the legend that was the late great Robin Williams. The 4k picture quality is excellent with bright/bold colours and level of detail is impressive as is the sound. 8.5/10

now watching more Williams in the form of Hook.
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

Gremlins 2
This time set in New York; Billy and his bird are working for Clamp Corporation and are trying to get on with their lives. Unfortunately gizmo is in the lab within the clamp tower, and is freed but gets hit by water letting gremlins out.
The sequel knew it couldn't be better than the original so they made it self aware. It doesn't make a difference: this is still a great film with a lot of laughs.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 24th December 2017, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

MPW-43600.jpg
TOBRUK (1967)

The Special Identification Group (German Jews serving with the British) a Canadian Major and a team of British commandos encounter various obstacles on their way across the desert to blow up Rommel's Afrika Korps fuel base.
A traitor in the team leads to more problems and it all leads up to an explosive finale as the commandos reach their goal and the RAF begin bombing the gun emplacements along the shoreline.
Good stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!