Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2018, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween (1978)

Say what you like about it, the old warhorse still works. Never mind the plot holes. Or the debt to Bava. Feast in its radiance. Never really bettered ... imo.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th March 2018, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Halloween (1978)

Say what you like about it, the old warhorse still works. Never mind the plot holes. Or the debt to Bava. Feast in its radiance. Never really bettered ... imo.
I would never watch a Halloween film at any other time than October. Maybe it's because i do this every year - watch them in October that is - so never feel the need to watch them in March for example.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Fly II (1989, Chris Walas)

Fascinating. Cheeeeky nod to Cronenberg. Country song in a sci fi film! Not since Dark Star etc. A lead actress without those doll like WHITE teeth. John Beard . It is not very good. But then when did that stop me watching anything?
I actually really enjoy this sequel. Sure it pales next to the original but it's a very much fun creature feature. I especially like Eric Stolz's performance. When I last saw it, I made a bit of a fuss over my cat as I felt bad for animals after rewatching what happens to the dog! I eagerly bought the Australian blu-ray.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:31 AM
Cult Addict

Annihilation

A meteor crashes into a lighthouse in Florida. It creates a strange, growing field of energy called the shimmer that seems to affect all biological organisms within it. Naturally the U.S. government is a little concerned over this and has been sending in teams. Natalie Portman plays Lena whose husband Kane, played by Oscar Issac has been missing in the shimmer for a year. One night he returns in a seemingly confused state before falling ill. The government seize the pair and Lena is offered the chance to enter the shimmer with a team of women in order to try and reach the centre. The team comprised of all women because all previous teams that failed were comprised of men. Scientifically then the rationale is that by changing one key aspect of the study they can see how or if this affects the results.
I won't say much more about the films plot. I would suggest giving it a go though. Unlike Mute I honestly thought this should have appeared in cinema's but at the same time I can understand why some people thought it was a bit too smart. Its definitely the sort of film you either get into or you don't. In terms of influences Solaris, Stalker, 2001 and Carpenters The Thing probably rank highly, as would under the skin to a lesser extent. Its got a strange, oppressive tone to it with all the characters being messed up in one way or the other. It seems to use Cancer and cancer treatment as a metaphor for whats going on and it talks a bit about humans capacity for self destruction. Love it or hate it, studio's don't often make films like this these days.
Old 14th March 2018, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Everyday is Halloween in the house of crat

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2018, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted re Annihilation btw k!!
Paul@TheOverlook and keirarts like this.

[B]
Old 14th March 2018, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Annihilation is great, I saw it last night.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

unlike a lot of slashers the followed in the wake of Halloween this is pretty good, thanks too the script and Daphne Zuniga as the "final girl", really plays out like two films the first which she investigates strange nightmares she has had since a child as well seeing things which may or may not be real, the second half set in a shopping mall plays out like a standard slasher with her and her friends being hunted by a killer, we have some nice kills and a twist ending. 8/10
Old 14th March 2018, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Duckweed (2017, Han Han)
Chinese variation on a theme. What happens at the moment of death? See one version within .... some nice dialogue here lifts it out of the trap of sentimentality ....

[B]
Old 14th March 2018, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quick question.

I've never seen the original 81 minute cut of Army of Darkness and only own the Directors Cut Official Bootleg Edition US dvd.

Which is considered to be the best version? Or should i really own both cuts? After all 15 minutes is a big difference.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!