All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2018, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Likes all round!
I actually managed '1 like' this evening.
Almost fell out the chair!
Every other post I 'liked' crashed and burned.
Old 10th October 2018, 07:57 AM
Cultist

Ten Tigers From Kwantung

5/10

Late 70s Chang Cheh Shaw Brothers film. Rewatching this and still from about 10 minutes in I have absolutely no idea what the fu*k is going on. Really not a fan of his "venom's mob" ensemble films. The problem I have, and now this is going to sound really racist, but everyone looks really similar, they introduce about 30 characters within the first 20 minutes that all have the same hair, similar costumes and facial features and you can't remember or tell who is who and not one of them has the charisma of a Yuen Biao, Lau Kar Wing, Gordon Lui etc

Quite like Chang Cheh's earlier Jimmy Wang Yu era films, but Lau Kar Leung's Shaw Brothers stuff and the holy trinity's Golden Harvest stuff is 100 times better.
Old 11th October 2018, 05:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Michael Dougherty's Trick 'r Treat (2007):

Pretty much buried by Warner Bros. (who knows why?), this is quite a fun horror anthology film. I watched the region friendly US blu-ray. It has quite a fun use of Pulp Fiction style editing where the stories aren't in chronological order. My one big complaint is that the film has extremely glossy and modern style cinematography for most of the running time (not so apparent during the Brian Cox segment). That significantly hurts it, would have been a lot better with a much more old school look. btw I felt exactly the same way about Cabin In The Woods (although I haven't seen that for a long time, perhaps I'm wrong?). Still an enjoyable Halloween film despite that. Film score - 7/10.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:05 PM
Cult Addict

The Mutilator

A son tries to clean his father's guns and accidentally shoots his mother. His sad is pissed of. Years later the boy and his college friends go to his dad's condo to shut for the winter. Only there is a killer.

I have to say I enjoyed this, if only for a couple of fun kills and a few enjoyable moments. I absolutely hate that bloody song from the arrow main menu.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2018, 07:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Salem's Lot. Ben Mears (David Soul) returns to his home town, only to find a notorious local landmark - the "haunted" Marsten House - is now playing home to a very different kind of evil, which soon begins spreading its touch among the townsfolk. This late 70s TV adaptation of Stephen King's classic vampire horror novel isn't perfect, but it's still pretty creepy and effective and enjoyable. No one who watched this as a kid ever slept with their curtains open again.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

mill_of_stone_women_poster_01.jpg mill_of_stone_women_poster_02.jpg
MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN (1960)

Looking for information on the 100 year old windmill, a man arrives at the old mill house of a sculptor where a carousel featuring various women from history move around a track to fairground music.
The sculptor kidnaps women and uses their blood to keep his daughter alive.
The dead bodies are then used as figures on the carousel..

Really enjoyed this. Slow moving but leads to a fiery climax. Creepy atmosphere in the old mill and the figures on the carousel look suitably macabre.
Old 14th October 2018, 03:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Uglyduckling1959.jpg
THE UGLY DUCKLING (1959)

Bumbling Henry Jekyll, a laughing stock to all, especially on the dance floor, finds his uncles formula and changes into Teddy Hyde. Teddy is a wizard on the dance floor and after a fight in the dance hall gets taken out back where he agrees to help in a robbery..

Hammer comedy. Bernard Bresslaw stars in the dual role of Henry/Teddy. No horror make up here just a quick smooth tidy up and Bernard becomes Teddy. For some reason James Bernard's Dracula motif appears over the transformation scenes. Thought that was quite odd.
Enjoyable, harmless fun and it was good to finally see this movie.
Old 14th October 2018, 05:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Mutilator

A son tries to clean his father's guns and accidentally shoots his mother. His sad is pissed of. Years later the boy and his college friends go to his dad's condo to shut for the winter. Only there is a killer.

I have to say I enjoyed this, if only for a couple of fun kills and a few enjoyable moments. I absolutely hate that bloody song from the arrow main menu.

I really enjoyed the Mutilator, thought it was one of the better forgotten slashers. Can't remember how it goes, but I do recall there being an absolutely shit theme song for it as well.
Old 14th October 2018, 05:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
I really enjoyed the Mutilator, thought it was one of the better forgotten slashers. Can't remember how it goes, but I do recall there being an absolutely shit theme song for it as well.
That's the song I was talking about, it's so painful to listen to, especially when it's playing on a loop on the main menu while you're just getting to ready to settle in and enjoy.

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th October 2018, 07:33 PM
Cult Addict

Just come back from the latest Johnny English film. Stupid fun but I really enjoyed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!