Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2018, 08:08 PM
Cult Addict

Bad Channels
A small town radio gets a nationwide broadcast and takes on a controversial rock dj as their star presenter. This prompts an alien to take the station over and kidnaps female listeners.
The alien looks great for a Full Moon film. The soundtrack is cringeworthy but it kinda makes up for that with a War of the Worlds radio broadcast type scenario.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 4th October 2018, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Soinds lovely b ... noted.

The Cokeville Miracle (2015, TC Christensen)

Xtian 'message' TVM laugh riot ... new Room ...
When a sheriff loses the will to pray ... all it takes is .... the local luuuunatic to wire up a bomb in the local school for him to find his goshdarned faith agin. Watch a grown man scream at a child . The miracle is I made it through the whole thing. We get a few of these in the shop sometimes and the description left me semi curious

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2018, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE DARK BELOW – Interesting indie about a woman being stalked by her scuba-diving instructor husband. Most of it involves her being trapped beneath the surface of an icy lake. Sound like a yawn? Maybe, but ‘The Dark Below’, full of fractured stillness and eerie silence (hardly any dialogue in this one), almost seems a bit poetic in places, particularly when the music chimes with the protagonist’s desperate reveries. Drops the ball a bit with some generic clunk in places, but overall an offbeat recommend. From the director of ‘Hellmaster’!

PROM NIGHT – Back to basics with a slasher, a proper first gen slasher with none other than Jamie Lee Curtis screaming her way through the cardboard… seems weird that she did gigs like this before the big time landed. ‘Prom Night’ is uber-generic in every way and suffers from a heinous lack of gore and suspense. Don’t worry though… its genuinely menacing start might peter out into high school intrigue and pre-prom teenage politicking, but somehow this is redeemed by the film’s plastic, slightly goofball quality. Things like this never play as they did ‘back in the day’ but it’s nice when they’re entertaining, which ‘Prom Night’ is, I think.

WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? – An essential downer, WCKAC is set on a Greek island where the kids seem to have killed the ‘dults. No clue as to why, really, but maybe they’re making the same vague socio-political point that the director might be. Doesn’t matter – the film is a genuine creepster that will always disturb. It’s a slow burn up to a crescendo of panicky desperation as a nicey-nice Brit couple ponder their seemingly deserted surroundings only for the nature of their nightmare to gradually dawn. So well put together and atmospheric, and, I don’t care what anyone says, the scene in which pregnant Prunella Ransome is killed by her unborn child is the very essence of horror.

SILVER BULLET – Stephen King adaption from back when most AV media with his name on it was a shortcut to shite. These days, some of that stuff probably seems stronger now we have distance and reduced expectations on our side. ‘Silver Bullet’ is a bit lame in some aspects, but it boasts Gary Busey, some pretty nice gore / prosthetic wolfism, and, in true Sking style, a hero in the form of a kid in a turbocharged wheelchair. Era-specific and somehow fairly pungent.

THE DEAD COME HOME – Outwardly, based on packaging alone, this always looked to me to be some kind of frat-boy nineties comedy horror, so it was a nice surprise when a potentially quite foolish punt on the new refurb brought home a weird, slightly grim semi-slasher instead. Some college kids, intent on doing up an abandoned house in the middle of the woods, find themselves stalked by a ghostly gran for the sake of some eighties-level gore. There’s a fair amount of people coming back from the dead and a manageable level of black humour – killer gran looks like something from a Troma-style remodeling of a Two Ronnies sketch. Threadbare, obscure trash, very good thanks.

SLAUGHTERHOUSE – Very obviously riffing on TCM (or more likely TCM2 as it was out the following year and seems closer in tone), ‘Slaughterhouse’ features a disgruntled butcher who expresses his annoyance at being forcibly bought out and evicted by doing some murders. Never before seen by Frankie, and I can’t say I was stunned. There was a lot of filler in competition with the marginally atmospheric scenes of abattoirs by night, and a bit less brutality than I was for some reason anticipating. Still, another one down.

ROSEMARY’S KILLER – AKA ‘The Prowler’. Another ‘classic’ slasher from the days when all you had to do to make a quick buck was throw some college kids in with a holiday-like event, a vengeful murderer and a shitload of wandering around in the dark. This is primo slasher territory, unembarrassed by what would later become the stuff of cliché, parody and self-referential upgrade. It’s probably not a very good film in some ways and it’s a bit too slow to work fully for me, but I was entertained. The killer and the conceit are a little throwaway, but ‘The Prowler’ manages to summon an air of menace at times, all in second place of course to the real star, Tom Savini’s special fx, which set the standard for the day and here have a sadistic, lingering something about them… the way that dude gulps when the knife runs through his head and his eyes white-out… shiver.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

Satan's Blade
A knife flies into a tree, a bank robbery happens, one of the robbers gets shot, her killer gets stabbed by some unknown killer. Instead of being logical and shutting the lodgings down; the owner gives the room to some teenage girls - a perfect recipe.........FOR DEATH!!
I really don't know why I put it that way but it's. Not a terrible slasher, but for the middle part of the movie it does atmittedly drag on slightly. A second viewing at some point is certain.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 6th October 2018, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Off to see venom tomorrow, will see if it's as bad as the critics say or it's another case of a big difference critics and the public which it appears to be the case.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th October 2018, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Who Can Kill a Child? A young English couple holidaying in Spain take a trip to a small island that seems mysteriously deserted of adults... and the child population isn't exactly all things nice. This mid 70s Spanish horror was quite controversial in it's day, but while it's watchable enough, and has a pretty good climax, I didn't think it was all that to be honest.
Old 6th October 2018, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm still trying to figure out what a fractured stillness is, Frankie.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what a fractured stillness is, Frankie.
It describes what happens when random words pop into your head and you're pretentious enough to write them into a poundland DVD review!
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
It describes what happens when random words pop into your head and you're pretentious enough to write them into a poundland DVD review!

Was The Dark Below from Poundland? Have they got their horror dvd selection back again?
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th October 2018, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After less than stellar reviews went in with low expectations, while it has problems and not a great movie it's far from bad and is enjoyable 2 hours. Tom Hardy is good as Eddie Brock/Venom and is quite funny in places, in some ways maybe it could of done with a little less comedy and the horror elements ranked up, numerous times Venom bites heads off etc but we really don't see anything , the main villain or villains aren't up to much but with it being on origin film it's setting things up for a sequel i hope it does well enough to get it , from the post credit scenes of who the bad guy is and who's playing him / it i would like to see a sequel.

Last edited by trebor8273; 7th October 2018 at 07:05 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!