All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179781Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Each to their own then.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Each to their own then.
If you mean me, i'm not saying The Wild Bunch is rubbish or nonsense like that, it's a very good film, but not quite five star and not quite as great as some suggest.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Red Dragon yesterday. I wasn't very impressed with it to be honest. Bar Philip Seymour Hoffman, every other actor delivers a performance that is inferior to that in Michael Mann's Manhunter. And all you can really say about Brett Ratner's direction is that he is competent.

Bar a couple of enjoyable Lecter jump scares and enjoying watching Dolarhyde eating a Blake painting, the film just feels incredibly perfunctory. Yeah, the ending is more faithful to the book but it's not as exciting. Some changes can be good in films. Hannibal's different ending didn't bother me either.

Am hoping the missus and I have better luck with Let Me In later on this afternoon - I don't want to watch two disappointing remakes in a row!
Old 24th June 2019, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't watch Let Me In then dear boy cough.

Just saying ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th June 2019, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Uncanny(1977)

Peter cushing goes to visit ray milland in the hope that he will publish his book about the dangers of cats to humanity. and procedes to tell him 3 tales.
the first being about an old crazy cat lady who has cut her nephew out of her will and is leaving it all to her cats. and the nephew plots with his girlfriend susan Penhalligen to steal it.
the second and my favourite one is about an orphaned child who goes to live with her aunt and obnoxious brat of a daughter who bullies her and gets her cat taken away. but doesn't realise that she can do black magic. top notch viewing.
and the last and final one stars Donald plesance as an eccentric actor who kills his wife making it look like an accident so that he can be with Samantha Eggar his mistress. but falls foul of his late wifes cat. a bit hammy this one, and my least favourite.

But overall, a pretty entertaining and fun film, well acted and worth a watch. not quite up there with Amicus but still good efforts, especially the second tale.70 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncanny-lg.jpg (60.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th June 2019, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pieces 1982.

teens at a college are slaughtered and creating a human jigsaw from their body parts.

This was one cheesy, comical, bloody, dumb teens fun movie to watch, first time seeing it all the way through. Christoper George ( The Exterminator and City Of the Living Dead) plays the no nonsense detective trying to figure out who the killer is and teamed up with Frank Brana who seems clueless. I don't know if the goofs in the film are purposely added or just actual mistakes even the kung-fu guy was a laugh and why was he added and never seen again. for what its worth still enjoyable 80s flick. 7 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pieces.jpg (89.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 24th June 2019, 03:45 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched The Sender on Arrow's recently released blu-ray. I've never seen (or even heard of...) this film before picking up which I thought sounded really interesting and I've got to say I was gripped for the whole running time. An unusual take on the telekinetic sub-genre where the protagonist makes others feel what he's feeling while he's dreaming!

One scene involving electro-shock treatment was particularly exciting!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th June 2019, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Calvaire (2004)

Aka The Ordeal, a Belgian take on the Straw Dogs strangers in our midst type of film. Blackly comic and occasionally disturbing, focusing more on the mental torture and degradation of an amateur cabaret singer by the village idiots of a small isolated woodland community than it does graphic gore showcased in more typical Euro horror of the period.

Following a creepy opening forty minutes the second half of the film ended up lacking true horror and veering into camp silliness.

Not a patch on Martyrs, Inside, High Tension, Frontier(s), The Pack and the rest. Disappointing.
Old 24th June 2019, 05:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Don't watch Let Me In then dear boy cough.

Just saying ....
I preferred Let Me In to the original film if I'm being honest. btw Please don't kick me off the forum!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th June 2019, 07:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Comedy of Terrors (1963)

Definitely one of director Jacques Tourneur's lesser efforts, this tale of undertakers Vincent Price and a wonderful Peter Lorre, in one of his last screen roles, murdering potential customers to ensure the family business (run by Boris Karloff) thrives, ends up quite weak following a promising start.

The legendary Basil Rathbone completes a real fearsome foursome of horror stars who try hard with a regrettably dull and uneven script. The film looks tremendous though, with a stunning burial sequence at the beginning one of the highlights.

The script from Richard Matheson lacks horror and sadly also lacks much in the way of laughs, one or two lines of dialogue aside. Co-stars Joe E Brown and the buxom but irritating Joyce Jameson are outshone by Rhubarb the cat.

Despite me sounding over critical, the film comes across as an interesting failure that ends up worth watching thanks to it's star power alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-comedy-of-terrors-movie-poster-1964-1020144094.jpg (89.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!