Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2021, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Raven. 1943.

A group of people at a hotel called The Black Raven are involved in a murder and the where about's one of the guests has a loot of $50.000.

Nice little B movie with a dark house mystery, that's perfect to watch in this stormy weather, it does give out a dark atmosphere, creepy cellars and a assortment of interesting characters. This was recommended by YouTube and some films that are uploaded can be crap but the quality was descent to enjoy, Sam Newfield who directed this keeps everyone guessing as to who the culprit was and the motive, worth a watch.

download.jpg
Old 5th February 2021, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mission Of Justice. 1992.

Bitter ex cop Kurt Harris joins a group of "Peacemakers" formed by a ruthless woman who wants to be mayor and to keep the streets clean and free of crime unaware Kurt has joined to find out what happened to his friend who was killed.

Jeff Wincott plays the bitter cop pushed by his sergeant and joins a movement after friend Tony Burton is killed and believes peacemaker founder Brigitte Nielsen and brother Matthias Hues are behind it. The acting is not the greatest but makes up with the fight scenes that are well choreographed even Karen Shepherd is able to pull out a few kicks and punches. Entertaining.

Attachment 231055
This is one of those films that I felt that only I've heard of it let alone seen it, It certainly is one of the more enjoyable movies of this type
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th February 2021, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Karate Kid II

Daniel and Mr Miyagi travel to Japan where a old rival of Mr Miyagi wishes to settle things and his nephew takes an instant dislike to Daniel. Other than around 3 scenes, I completely didn't know what happened in this film (I saw it when it came out for Rental and this is the 1st time watching since) and I quite enjoyed it (I was much younger the 1st time) a definite departure from the original.

Island Of Death

All the recent talk on this forum put this film back on my radar. A couple go on the rampage in Greece killing people in creative ways who them deem to be deviants. This is a twist at the end which got spoilt on the description on the Vipco or Arrow release (I can't remember which) Not a bad effort, the Goat certainly had a role and I hope the Actress got paid per topless/nude scene not a one off payment.

The Karate Kid Part III

Daniel and Mr Miyagi return from Japan but John Kreese returns with Terry Silver with revenge in mind by making Daniel compete in a tournament which causes a rift between Daniel and Mr Miyagi. A very entertaining film which was made better with the return of Kreese.

I did watch these films looking for potential returns and plot points for Cobra Kai Season 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kkpii.jpg (15.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg iod.jpg (14.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg KKPIII.jpg (13.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th February 2021, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

EuroTrip (2004)

I can't help it, i love Eurotrip. It's a movie that made me laugh from the first time i saw it way back in the mid 00's to last night's viewing.

From Matt Damon's punk singer to Lucy Lawless' dominatrix, not forgetting Vinnie Jones and his mob of Man United football hooligans, so much amuses me and that's before we get to the European stereotypes, bad taste and gratuitous nudity.

Definitely one of my 'feelgood' films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eurotrip-51880e7e85136.jpg (100.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th February 2021, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Condemned To Live. 1935.

After fining out his mother was bitten by a vampire during her preganacy, Ralph believes he is committing the murders that have been happening in his little village.

This one I had never seen before and like some movies from this era are boring or not entertaining enough that a glass eye would wonder off, this was surprisingly good, it does capture the characters pretty well, Ralph Morgan takes the lead as the Professor who believes he is a monster, something like Jekyll and Hyde where you do feel sympathy for the monster and the hunchback villager Zan. it could be with age or the light that was used but this is better watched in the dark.

MV5BY2M0NzUwNTItY2Y1ZC00MTU4LWJjYjMtNzI1NTRiZDAxNDNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcyODY2NDQ@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th February 2021, 02:13 AM
Cult Rookie

Just watched Llamageddon on Amazon Prime and boy did I enjoy that. Many laughs had.
Old 6th February 2021, 12:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Crone Wood (2016)

It's taken five years from this getting made to finding it's way to dvd but i'm glad it has done.

I was immediately drawn in by the dvd cover description

...the horrors of Crone Wood go far beyond local legend. Thrown into a world of cults and ritualistic murder, they quickly discover that pagan Ireland is alive and well.

It didn't disappoint.

I was surprised to see it was a found footage style film with a young couple filming themselves going camping in Ireland's Wicklow Mountains and equally surprisingly i liked them. They had a naturalness about them (all credit to actors Elva Trill and Ed Murphy) and were easy to engage with as their camping trip began.

What followed was a film that echoed parts of The Blair Witch Project - there's some terrific (and steadily shot) creeping around an abandoned house in the woods which culminates in an equally terrific scare - until it ultimately takes a Pagan folklore route to a satisfying finale.

I certainly wouldn't call Crone Wood an original film, in fact so much of it you'll have seen before, but for a low budget affair i thought it worked extremely well. Although it's not overtly scary there's a disconcerting atmosphere from about twenty minutes in that becomes ever claustrophobic.

The woods locations are used well and the design suitably creepy and it's kinda slick in it's pace with quality storytelling that most debut features fail to grasp and at 86 minutes doesn't out stay it's welcome.

Rather pleased i took a chance on this one.

Note- Amazon have it as released on Feb 8th priced £12.47. I bought it from Asda yesterday for a fiver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5kqqaxtspmapxujmsmpfiggqyfs.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th February 2021, 12:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Crone Wood (2016)

Note- Amazon have it as released on Feb 8th priced £12.47. I bought it from Asda yesterday for a fiver.
Noted, Dem.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Crone Wood (2016)

It's taken five years from this getting made to finding it's way to dvd but i'm glad it has done.

I was immediately drawn in by the dvd cover description

...the horrors of Crone Wood go far beyond local legend. Thrown into a world of cults and ritualistic murder, they quickly discover that pagan Ireland is alive and well.

It didn't disappoint.

I was surprised to see it was a found footage style film with a young couple filming themselves going camping in Ireland's Wicklow Mountains and equally surprisingly i liked them. They had a naturalness about them (all credit to actors Elva Trill and Ed Murphy) and were easy to engage with as their camping trip began.

What followed was a film that echoed parts of The Blair Witch Project - there's some terrific (and steadily shot) creeping around an abandoned house in the woods which culminates in an equally terrific scare - until it ultimately takes a Pagan folklore route to a satisfying finale.

I certainly wouldn't call Crone Wood an original film, in fact so much of it you'll have seen before, but for a low budget affair i thought it worked extremely well. Although it's not overtly scary there's a disconcerting atmosphere from about twenty minutes in that becomes ever claustrophobic.

The woods locations are used well and the design suitably creepy and it's kinda slick in it's pace with quality storytelling that most debut features fail to grasp and at 86 minutes doesn't out stay it's welcome.

Rather pleased i took a chance on this one.

Asda-here I come.
I'll 'Phantasm' it into a Scanavo case.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Asda-here I come.
I'll 'Phantasm' it into a Scanavo case.
It's only beta-max Reaps, you won't be able to play it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!