Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2022, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rose Red. 2002.

This was intended to be for Steven Spielberg who asked Stephen King to write a haunted house story but went to do other things and was picked up by ABC and made into a televised mini series. There is a slow character build up of the psychics and their abilities but the main feature is the house and given a back story that makes it look like or loosely based on The Winchester House. For a series of three episodes this was given a good budget that was well spent and worth a watch if you have almost 4 hours to spare.
Old 2nd January 2022, 05:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Armour Of God. 1986.

Jackie Chan plays Jackie, a ex singer now turned treasure hunter named Asian Hawk in this comedy adventure, the action starts right away with a tribe prating to a god for a sacrifice, a shoot out at a fashion show then a high speed chase with cars, jeeps and bikes around Yugoslavia. There is always a good fight scenes added in with Chan's usual comedy, The version I watched was the Hong Kong release that was the original version than the cut international version.
Old 2nd January 2022, 05:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Street Trash. 1987.

I dunno why but watched this again and still laughed at it, the acting is daft, even with a tramp able to out run three people, disturb a young couple in bed who run out of a building stark naked. A liquor store clerk selling contaminated alcohol and at least one guy was hygienic to melt into a toilet. The make up effects can be a bit over the top but they do work and the ending always makes me laugh.

81j9aHg7qDL._AC_SX342_.jpg
Old 2nd January 2022, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Humanoids From The Deep. 1980.

How come small American coastal towns that seem to get attacked by seas monsters in the late 70s early 80s. Roger Corman does it again with creatures, 21 years earlier he gave us Attack Of The Giant leeches and must have thought another creature feature movie. This time the budget was decent and Barbara Peeters directing.

Corman wanted more sex and nudity to help sell the film more, sorry but three stuntmen in costumes resembling some amphibian monster wouldn't do it and hired a second unit director to add in the touch ups. The killings seem to be done off screen until the fair attraction and then goes to the gore. The acting isn't Oscar nomination but decent, slight bit of humour with a guy and girl and a good technique to get the woman topless, use a ventriloquist doll. I'm gonna guess the ending is a rip off from alien??

humanoidsfromdeep.jpg
Old 2nd January 2022, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saturday the 14th. 1981.

A family inherit a house that contains a book of evil.

Think this film can fall into the category of so bad it's good and awful at the same time, nothing wrong with doing a parody of horror films, we got Dracula, The Mummy, The Wolf man and some form of Squid man. Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss play the couple who's son finds the book and opens it. Having watched this and meant to be a comedy all i did was smirk, didn't give out any loud bits of laughter, was this even funny when it came out?

Saturday_the_fourteenth.jpg
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Last night I rang in the New Year (for movies) with Tremors. A perennial classic.
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A rich yuppie and a petty thief have their lives swapped by a greedy pair of millionaires for a bet of one dollar. A fish out of water story with a bit off the Prince and the pauper.

A comedy classic with a great cast of characters and a regular New years eve viewing. Also lets not forget Jamie Lee Curtis and a mirror!

Was a time when this classic was on every Christmas or New year . A great uplifting film for new year or Christmas with some fantastic songs and scenes , hell even that dreadful accent adds too the films charm.

Keaton is still my favourite Batman and these are still my favourite Batman films love Burtons art deco style Gotham, Returns is probably my favourite which is also a great Christmas movie.

Now watching.
Old 3rd January 2022, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Return To Salem's Lot. 1987.

Why did I watch this? I wanted to see if it was any better Third time round and nope it isn't, Larry Cohen stated this film was the lowest point of his film making career, it's definitely the lowest point of my watch list. Aside from having Michael Moriarty in it really does not save it.

The acting is laughable even for Tara Reid who made her first feature film debut, Ricky Addison Reed made his only film and Samuel Fuller who is able to run and limp at the same time is a bit comical. There is quite a noticable goof, Joe covers 6 coffins in gasoline, leaves a trail then that trail disappears, continuity must have been hard to keep up with, the death scenes are stupid, there is stock footage of the Marsten House on fire but the house wasn't in this, and why advertise Kurt Barlow on the poster when he wasn't even in this, my rant is over.
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Damnation Alley. 1977.

Survivors from a Air Base after a nuclear war travel the desert of California looking for survivors.

20th Century Fox had high hopes that this would be bigger than Star Wars...what film became a big hit between these two movies, Jan-Michael Vincent along with George Peppard, Paul Winfield and Kip Niven play the survivors and drive about in home made armored cars. The visual effects do look cheap even with scorpions made to look big and masses of killer cockroaches, this film does have it's flaws but decent enough to enjoy.

51JD0ckFhbL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Devil's Honey (1986)

A film i'd been looking forward to watching ever since i bought the 88 Films Blu-ray back in the summer.

Sadly this for me is probably the least interesting film in Lucio Fulci's locker that i've seen and for an erotic thriller seemed really limp. Not in the same league as Jess Franco's Shining Sex which i saw earlier in my December marathon.

As far as Fulci goes this was 50 shades of shite.
Yeah, considering it's Fulci, Italian and the write up, it received. It was rather tame and boring.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!