All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2022, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MEN – Jessie Buckley is plagued by a seemingly endless supply of Rory Kinnear(s) in Alex Garland’s folk horror / social commentary / multi-Kinnear gimmick spectacular, ‘Men’. “A complete game changer” screams the blurb on the case – well, no, but I can imagine many finding it at least very striking (a few are bound to walk away nonplussed or irritated). Kinnear-ism aside, I think what it says or doesn’t say about gender is less interesting than Garland’s summoning of something vague and mythic behind placid English greenery. It seems inevitable that it should tug on memories of radiophonically soundtracked seventies UK horror, despite being anchored in the present; that approach is nothing new, but the atmosphere of ‘Men’ is pretty impeccable, a kind of sustained, low-key unreality not unlike that of a mundane dream steadily derailing, then erupting. Its use of mainstays is provocatively blunt. Shady back roads, country pile, the villagers are backwards or hostile… it would be impossible for rural horror not to happen, but WHAT happens is up for grabs. Its theme of a primal, ugly masculinity might be open to various interpretations, but nothing is really laboured (apart from all that monstrous birthing at the end). The old stand-bys of “is it real / supernatural / all in the character’s head” don’t seem all that relevant; ‘Men’, against the grain of its trad folk horror trappings, works more as a drifting weave of allusions. Its pagan echoes have a touch of the Machen-esque, but the stark weirdness of that naked guy somehow reminded me more of Aickman, as if the creepy dude from ‘The Same Dog’ had stepped from behind his wall… to rid us of all this Englishness, the finale brings it on with more out-there bonkers body horror than Lynch dreaming Cronenberg. Whether these references are in there I have no idea, but I really liked ‘Men’, a little less than ‘Annihilation’ maybe, but there’s no doubt that here is an authentic vision of weird horror.
Sir, I applaud thee yet again.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd September 2022, 06:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Vacation (2015)

A second re-watch and still a hoot with some genuinely funny scenes. Christina Applegate's return to her old college house is class whilst Chris Hemsworth in his underwear is laugh out loud funny especially when Rusty exclaims "Did you see his six pack?" and everyone else, both actors and viewers, shout "No!"

It also helps that Ed Helms is a likable Rusty Griswold as is the always sparkling Applegate as wife Debbie. In fact Applegate completely steals the show on more than one occasion. It ends rather nicely with a visit to see Clark and Ellen and i felt it rather sweet seeing Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo again even if they were little more than cameos.

This is proving to be one of those comedies i return to and still really enjoy every couple of years.

I thought I’d seen this but after reading your review I think I have confused my memory of seeing ‘We’re The Millers’ which came out at a similar time. I feel like I need to see Vacation now.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2022, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not seen this since the days of VHS, a large stone is discovered with runes on it, while studying it a man is changed into a large unkillable beast, we soon learn the beast is Fenrir from Norse mythology and the only one who can stop him is a watchmaker who just happens to be the god Tyr played by Alexander Godunov( die hard, witness) who defeated Fenrir before.

It's not going to win any awards but I found in enjoyable but I would of liked to seen more of Tyr and his backstory . We also have comic relief in the form of a cop who every other word is f this.

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd September 2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Boat Trip (2002)

Cuba Gooding Jr and Horatio Sanz play two mates tricked into going on a gay cruise after they insult their travel agent (a cameo from Will Ferrell).

Whilst it probably sounds like a crude comedy it isn't.... no of course it is. There are gay sex jokes aplenty as well as the usual stereotypes. However none of the gay characters are portrayed as predatory or indeed in a bad light nor is there much in the way of homophobia. In fact it's not until Sanz accidentally shoots down a helicopter carrying the Swedish sun tanning Team, including Victoria Silvstedt, that the proper toilet humour begins and it's mainly from team coach Lin Shaye.

Roger Moore, yes that Roger Moore, plays an old queen (his words) on the cruise, it's Moore's final big screen appearance and he's a delight. Comical and a lot of fun, there's even a lovely moment where he sends himself up beautifully - "You may think of me as simply a hard-partying old queen, but for *your information* I spent 32 years in the SAS, serving Her Majesty, the *real* Queen. I've been in five different theaters of war, done 490 jumps, 27 of them into hostile territory. I'm what you colonials might call a bad-assed motherf*cker, who happens to be skilled in the fine art of Japanese flower-arranging!"

As with many films of this ilk at the heart of it is a cheesy old rom-com, this time between Gooding Jr and Roselyn Sanchez as the cruise dance instructor.

Boat Trip doesn't have a great reputation. People tend to love or loathe it, i'm in the love it camp and have watched and enjoyed it many times over the years even if the film makers don't seem to know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Z6NJG6T9L._AC_SY445_.jpg (25.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Has anyone seen Phil Tippet’s “Mad God” ??

I believe it’s streaming on Shudder, but I just saw it tonight at the Glasgow Film Theatre. Not sure what to make of it. Probably the most disgusting film I’ve ever seen. Genuinely turned my stomach. Feel like I’ve been assaulted.

IMG_5315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wyrmwood: Apocalypse (2021)

If you enjoyed Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014) as i did then you're going to like this as it's quite simply a continuation of the story as Barry and Zombie girl Brooke return along side a host of new characters.

Still traversing the Mad Max vs zombies path this looks just as impressive as the first film. You won't find zombie metaphors here, no zombies are zombies and require slaughtering, even if some cyborg zombies are more difficult to kill than others.

It's frenetic in it's pacing, full of zombie splatter, slickly directed and proves high octane fun all round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fh9niM0Y0uFhtIlRtcY0cal4CSv.jpg (97.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post

I believe it’s streaming on Shudder, but I just saw it tonight at the Glasgow Film Theatre. Not sure what to make of it. Probably the most disgusting film I’ve ever seen. Genuinely turned my stomach. Feel like I’ve been assaulted.

Attachment 241976

I heard it was a bit on the violent side but haven't actually seen it, so now you got me curious to watch it
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Attachment 241976

Due to my constant thought of the work that had gone into it, I need to revisit this one. Pictures, that would have been ... intrusive yes. HUG.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Attachment 241976

After reading MuckyFunster's post I had to check this out on Shudder

There is no plot to this and follow a assortment of creatures that would only come from a dream or nightmare from David Lynch, but certainly not for the squeamish and probably best kept for a night in October. It's one of those movies that you can't turn away from even though you want to turn it off.
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

FORTRESS OF AMERIKKKA – We’re greeted by the image of a divided community and a grandiloquent voiceover that tells us that America is on the verge of being taken over by violent thugs – then ‘Fortress Of Amerikkka’ remembers it’s a Troma movie and hits us with a load of guns, tits and bad hair. Before you point out the obvious, no, I didn’t come to FOA expecting insightful social commentary. I thought it would be brazen trawl through Lloyd Kaufman’s shopping list of exploitation cliches, and that’s exactly what I got. It actually makes less sense than the average Troma movie, and kind of breaks down halfway through and turns into a parade of vignettes that hold together, but only in quite a choppy way. It’s overlong, but there’s exploding tents, random cat fights, a bit of gore and, don’t forget, guns, tits and bad hair. I’m not complaining. I quite liked it.

THE SEVENTH CURSE – Well, you won’t hear many complaining about this, not if they’ve got a film shelf like mine (which admittedly doesn’t apply to most of the planet). ‘The Seventh Curse’ takes its cue from those big budget Hollywood adventure flicks of the mid-eighties, but then pulverises that basic format into oblivion with messed up special effects, gore, and all manner of Hong Kong madness. The result is immense. Let’s just get one thing straight – it has a glowing-eyed skeleton that mutates into a bad Alien clone and, either before or after that bit, something that looks a little like a skull-faced cross between a slug and Casper The Friendly Ghost that flies around and then bites the f*ck out of someone’s throat. There's even a child-crushing machine! The inclusion of these elements should be my basic criteria for all pleasurable film viewing from this point on. Sadly, we live in a world where not every movie is ‘The Seventh Curse’, but hey, even a world with one ‘The Seventh Curse’ in it has to be at least pretty good. Seeing it in HD, versus my old DVD years back, was quite the education - I try not to get into this particular cliché too much, but it really did feel like a different movie, one that I enjoyed a hell of a lot more. Anyway – recommended. I suppose I’ll finish by saying I’m really impressed that 88 have brought it to the high street looking so dapper. I mean, can you imagine that happening even ten years ago? We must be living in some strange golden age, even as the sun supposedly sets on physical media.

Like this? Share it using the links below!