Like Tree179852Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2023, 06:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Phantasm: RaVager (2016)

The fifth and final film in the Phantasm series. I rather enjoyed this. Much more than the previous sequels. It felt more focused and less shambolic allowing characters to develop and giving some real depth to Reggie Bannister's Reggie in what was a nice change of pace and a good character study.

Of course the second half of the film goes full on Phantasm with some welcome cameos and added craziness and although low budget i really liked the effects especially the landscapes and skies which were reminiscent in style of the final Doctor Who story Survival in the original run in 1989, which in turn gives some idea of RaVager's production values, for better or worse.
I never really got on well with this after the two viewings of it but after a third viewing I did warm upto it.
Old 12th March 2023, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Kentucky Fried Movie

A series of Sketches with most of them hitting the mark. Ranging from Spoof Trailers and Adverts, the one that takes up most of the running time is a Spoof of Martial Arts Movies that is slightly too long but is funny. Released in 1977, it's not outdated.

Final Destination 3

After 2 successful Movies, the Producers dusted of the template and got a bigger budget as this time the Premonition Scene (Rollercoaster) and Death Scenes are more gorier. I found this to be the best one so far, even though it's similar to the others.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Quentin Tarrantino's Story of a Actor's struggle as his Career is faltering. Along with his Stuntman/Friend, they encounter The Manson Family. This is one of those strange Films that is boring in places but there is enough in it for me to keep going back to it (Thank God for the forward button)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kfm.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fd3.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ouatih.jpg (15.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th March 2023, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Doghouse. 2009.

A group of men head to the country to help a friend get over his divorce, only to find that the women have been exposed to a virus that turned them into zombies.

Danny Dyer leads his friends of Stephen Graham, Noel Clark, Keith Lee Castle, Lee Ingleby, Emily Marwa to a small country place in the middle of nowhere for a weekend of drinking until they can't speak only to find the women are out to get them. No matter how many times you watch this its still brings out the laughs. Atleast if you are tied up with a female zombie turn on the charm and hope she doesn't slice of a digit or two.

MV5BNDk0NjYxNTAwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE1NTk5Mw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th March 2023, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Missionary (1982)

Michael Palin's first film away from the Python team is a partly saucy comedy set at the dawn of the twentieth century. Palin plays a missionary recalled from Africa, where he'd been for ten years, charged with setting up a mission for the ladies of the night in London's docklands.

Palin is well suited as the innocent abroad, or in this case at home, in the petticoat jungle of Edwardian London prostitution, most of the smut going well over his head, if not the viewers.

Maggie Smith leads a top support cast and she has a lot of fun playing the frustrated aristo attempting to seduce the naive missionary.

This is all so very British and quite wonderful with it once you get a taste for the comedic tone. As with Palin's A Private Function a couple of years later this really plays out like an elongated episode of his mid seventies series Ripping Yarns and feels like a relic of a bygone era, more's the pity.
Old 13th March 2023, 04:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Doghouse. 2009.

A group of men head to the country to help a friend get over his divorce, only to find that the women have been exposed to a virus that turned them into zombies.

Danny Dyer leads his friends of Stephen Graham, Noel Clark, Keith Lee Castle, Lee Ingleby, Emily Marwa to a small country place in the middle of nowhere for a weekend of drinking until they can't speak only to find the women are out to get them. No matter how many times you watch this its still brings out the laughs. Atleast if you are tied up with a female zombie turn on the charm and hope she doesn't slice of a digit or two.

Attachment 245153
Excellent film. One of several top notch British horror films that came out at the time.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 13th March 2023, 05:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The final film in the Sam Raimi directed trilogy and a bit of a departure in tone as Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) aka Spider-man, now at ease with his superhero status is part taken over by an alien symbiote which unleashes the darkness in the web slinger.

What follows in this two hour twenty minute marathon is a look at the dark side of Spidey and of Peter Parker too. His cockiness at the hero worship, his neglect of girlfriend Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) and a vendetta of vengeance against one of three villains Raimi throws at us.

Visually this is excellent with a clutch of exciting set pieces amid the tale of despair for Parker, which needs to be and is prolonged in order for his redemption during the final half hour to be so satisfying. However the cluttered plot strands in between don't help and make the middle third a little unfocused.

Look out for Bruce Campbell doing his thing as a French maitre-d... I say look out. You really can't miss him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1197-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg (100.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th March 2023, 06:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The final film in the Sam Raimi directed trilogy and a bit of a departure in tone as Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) aka Spider-man, now at ease with his superhero status is part taken over by an alien symbiote which unleashes the darkness in the web slinger.

What follows in this two hour twenty minute marathon is a look at the dark side of Spidey and of Peter Parker too. His cockiness at the hero worship, his neglect of girlfriend Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) and a vendetta of vengeance against one of three villains Raimi throws at us.

Visually this is excellent with a clutch of exciting set pieces amid the tale of despair for Parker, which needs to be and is prolonged in order for his redemption during the final half hour to be so satisfying. However the cluttered plot strands in between don't help and make the middle third a little unfocused.

Look out for Bruce Campbell doing his thing as a French maitre-d... I say look out. You really can't miss him.
The birth of The Sandman always sticks out as one of the strongest bit of this film for me. Even though it's CGI, and relatively early CGI at that, I think it's beautifully put together. As the sand slowly attempts to form a solid shape before collapsing, always makes me think of a baby's first steps. It's a shame the film as a whole is a bit of a mess.
Old 13th March 2023, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The birth of The Sandman always sticks out as one of the strongest bit of this film for me. Even though it's CGI, and relatively early CGI at that, I think it's beautifully put together. As the sand slowly attempts to form a solid shape before collapsing, always makes me think of a baby's first steps. It's a shame the film as a whole is a bit of a mess.
Lose half an hour and it would hold up well.

I prefer it to any of the new Marvel Spider-Man films.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th March 2023, 06:28 PM
Cult Addict

People seem to hate Spiderman 3, personally i don't mind it, rewatched it last year, the problem I have with it is they tie Sandman in with Ben's death, i think that is unnecessary and muddles the series continuity to a point that it distracts me from the story at hand.

I still prefer it to the Amazing Spiderman films that came after, especially number 2 which i found really hard to watch, Rhino and Electro were so far removed from the characters i grew up reading.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 13th March 2023, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict

Friday the 13th. Sean S.Cunningham. 1980.

The first installment of the iconic slasher franchise. Years after a number of brutal murders at a summer camp a group of young new counsellors attempt to reopen the place. Everyone knows the story here and have probably watched it numerous times. I've actually only seen it two, maybe three times. First recorded off sky movies back in the late 90s. I thought it was ok nothing special.
The blu-ray shines new light on this classic with a beautiful transfer that really amps up this films atmosphere, felt like I was in the woods around Camp Crystal Lake watching events unfold.
The characters are all quite likeable, something that helps no end. I always think slashers sink or float based on the characters, if they're all unlikeable then why do I care what happens.
Also the fact that the franchise's legendary villain is here more of a plot mechanic than an actual character means the film at times ironically plays more like a Hitchcockian mystery or an American giallo than your traditional slasher.
I really enjoyed this rewatch and put the second film on only a few days later. Thoughts to follow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Last edited by J Harker; 13th March 2023 at 08:51 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!