Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179790Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2023, 04:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sword Of Sherwood Forest. 1960.

A simple tale of Robin Hood and his merry men lead by Richard Greene who is quite handy with a bow and arrow, even throwing a dagger at a table. Peter Cushing is the dastardly evil Sheriff Of Nottingham who is very much a black hearted B@?~ard who likes to give out pardons and then kills the person right after. Oliver Reed turns up and yes his voice is dubbed by someone trying to impersonate his voice, if you look at the trailer he is speaking in a french accent with a lisp. Right from start to finish the cinematography is brilliant especially on the Indicator release, the acting is great and the sword fight is a bit campy but decent. Thanks Dem for pointing this in my direction.

kvpCGViDZkHTF0EoeFdL7Jwa8CK.jpg
Old 1st May 2023, 08:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Cult of Chucky (2017)

Following on from the excellent Curse of Chucky (2013) this sees Nica (Fiona Dourif) confined to an asylum convinced that she, not Chucky, murdered her entire family. But when the psychiatrist introduces a new therapeutic 'Good Guy' doll with a familiar face to help Nica (Seriously who is f*cking crazy in this one? Nica or the bleedin' psychiatrist?) the killings begin once again.

A great entry in the Chucky series. The asylum is a brilliant white throughout making the blood splatter all the more artful, and boy is there a lot of blood. Cult of Chucky is probably the goriest of the series and unlike some of the films isn't played for laughs.

Fiona Dourif is once again very good as the put upon Nica and the other inhabitants of the asylum are given enough to do for you to at least care about them before the lovable Good Guy doll slays the lot of em' in beautifully inventive and extremely gruesome ways.

I loved this first time round and loved it again watching on Blu-ray last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f3QfeLf1jHl2b8hgad1MGvxPWDj.jpg (97.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 1st May 2023, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Time to go and look for Rowan Morrison now.
Old 1st May 2023, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

"Doesn't the sight of the young people refresh you, Sargeant??"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Woods (2006)

Lucky McKee's second horror film following the excellent May (2002) is an interesting but slow burn supernatural thriller set in the mid sixties which has echoes of Suspiria and Evil Dead but none of those films visceral shocks.

It's a nicely acted piece with great turns from Agnes Bruckner, Patricia Clarkson and also Bruce Campbell in what is basically an elongated cameo. McKee gives the film a great atmosphere and kept my interest throughout as the secrets of Falburn girls academy are gradually unlocked. Hint - May involve witchcraft which was why i watched it on Walpurgis Night.
Old 2nd May 2023, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two Orphan Vampires. 1997.

90s Rollin film about two sisters who are blind during the day but at night can see blue as they stalk the streets of Paris looking for new victims and blood. It's not like his previous films where sex and nudity is shown nearly every 5 minutes, the young girls do manage to stay clothed and there is a tasteful part of short nudity. I have always had a soft spot for this film, with the interesting story and change to the vampire genre, the girls don't burn in the sunlight just go blind and at night the thirst takes them. From the opening till the end the cinematography is greatly done especially the slow moving shot of the cemetery.

MV5BMjA1NTM5NzQ1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE1NDEyMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 3rd May 2023, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House By The Cemetery. 1981.

One of Fulci's great films with a interesting opening of a nice kill, and character build up of the Boyle family with their son who seemed to enjoy playing with a doll. The house itself does have a basement that you don't want to go into even if you hear strange noises and even if the new housekeeper is trying to get into it. The 4k UHD restoration is perfect for picture quality i did compare it to one I streamed online and everything is sharpened up and more clearer. The sound I didn't have to have it blaring like some previous 4K's and thank God for the mute button when Bob goes screaming. I have a soft spot for this and for the upgrade it was worth it.

images (4).jpg
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crypt Of The Living Dead. 1973.

A archaeologist travels to small island to collect his deceased father's body and uncovers a tomb that he has been told is a resting place for a female vampire.

Slow moving and near decent tone of atmosphere for much of the time, the film will definitely prove hard going for many, but director Julio Salvador achieves just about enough effectively haunting moments to make it a worthwhile watch for vampire movie fans.

Andrew Prine plays Chris who's arrival on the island and is greeted with hostility that gives it the weird Wicker Man vibe that the locals hate or dislike outsiders. The lighting and sound is exceptionally refined and the film overall is stylish and gothic scenery, the beach and cliff top scenery bathed in black & white is visually stunning, though admittedly some of the night scenes are obscure in the darkness. This my not be for everyone but it's one I'd return to.

p41348_p_v8_aa.jpg
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Big George Foreman

Biopic chronicling the life of the former Heavyweight Champion Of The World. TBH, other than the Boxing, I didn't really know much about his life story and this was a rather entertaining Film, it was interesting and it flew by. Forest Whitiker is the man who helps him originally as well as training him.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3

When Rocket is injured, the rest of the gang set off to save him. During this, how Rocket came to be comes into light.

This has a interesting concept with Rocket's backstory and unlike the recent Marvel Movies, you don't have to watch any of the Marvel TV shows to follow the story and there are some funny moments however it's far too long, it would have made a good 100 Minute Movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgf.jpg (9.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg gotgv3.jpg (13.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Never Back Down. 2008.

We got a new kid who is hot headed and starts a fight during a football match that goes viral. He relocates to a new school and meets the popular ones and encourage him to join a underground fights circuit.

Why did I get the feeling this was a bit of a rip off from The Karate Kid but with more different types of martial arts mixed in. It does show that spoilt rich kids think they can do what they want and when they want and hope they can get away with it yet those who aren't priveliged can fight back and win. The fight scenes are decently choreographed, dialogue and acting is a bit cheesy at times but entertaining.

8oRUTyP1QAtGDMvRpKZyuyFPG0U.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 4th May 2023 at 12:24 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!