All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2024, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 249795

Two military kids are left orphaned after their parents are killed at the funeral their uncle offers them the chance to a small town in Florida to help him with his amusement park. This is a typical small town where everyone knows everyone and news spreads fast about the new arrivals as if its not hard enough to start a new life there are always some that wish to make it harder. Abby attracts the unwanted attention of the gang that more or less runs the town and after constantly rejecting their advances things soon get out of hand.

I have never even heard of this until Dem reviewed it and im so glad he did because i may have missed out on this fun film. The bullying starts out with the usual posturing but it soon take a dark turn James Spader is awesome as a crazy asshole that doesn't take kindly to the word no the rest of the gang are just your typical dumb rednecks blindly following the leader but when they are following a complete nutcase who knows what they are capable of. Make no mistake Abby and her brother Loren are no push overs they may have attracted the attention of the gang but they are no victims and its obvious from the get go that Dutra and his goons have picked on the wrong people this time.

The New Kids is well worth your time and the final showdown in the amusement park was great and a lot more violent than i was expecting and very very satisfying to see how these clowns get dealt with.
This was a Lockdown purchase and I really enjoyed it. I also liked that it was a tit for tat kind of thing. Instead of the bad guys piling it on until the good guys finally snap at the end, they would retaliate immediately.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Delta Force

Terrorists takeover a Aeroplane and the Delta Force unit lead by Lee Marvin and Chuck Norris along with Steve James attempt to save the Hostages. TBH, I didn't really enjoy this one, instead of constant Action, there were some really slow periods. I prefer a similar Film Navy Seals.

Shootfighter

Karate experts William Zabka and Michael Bernardo get seduced into participating in a No Holds Barred Fighting competition run by Martin Kove who has a grudge against their Trainer played by Bolo Yeung.

This is a really good Fighting Movie with some of the most violent fight scenes I've scene (One scene was unrealistic though) whilst it's strange to see Yeung as a good guy, Kove is just as good as the bad guy with a grudge. Didn't realize for a while that this was a Karate Kid reunion with Zabka and Kove.

On my wish list for a UK Blu-Ray release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg df.jpg (15.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (13.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th January 2024, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Night Has Eyes (1942)

A young teacher visits the remote Yorkshire moors where she believes her best friend disappeared a year ago. Caught in a storm she and a female companion get shelter at an old lonely house, home to a reclusive pianist, traumatised by his experiences in the Spanish Civil war. Although he appears welcoming, the teacher soon suspects they are in danger and their host had something to do with her friends disappearance.

One of those ingenious little low budget British Gothic chillers that has all the right ingredients that make for a classic old dark house thriller.

Dark stormy nights, shadowy corridors, secret rooms, skeletons, perilous marshes, murder, a house full of seemingly 'strange' inhabitants, psychological shocks, and a foreboding soundtrack. All quite wonderfully held together by a strong central performance from an introspective James Mason.

If only some company could restore Castle Sinister (1948) and Crow Hollow (1952), another couple of tasty British old dark house thrillers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moonlight_Madness_poster.jpg (30.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th January 2024, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thanks Demon. I mentioned this one on the "Is it Worth Buying" thread. Saw the DVD in HMV the other day and I was quite intrigued with the premise and the artwork.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I would not pay more than a fiver ahem. Depends on the features ahem ....
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th January 2024, 04:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ratman. 1988.

A Caribbean island is the setting where a fashion model is killed by a deranged psycho. Janet Argen is the sister who doesn't believe what the police say and teams with a journalist David Warbeck and go on a investigation to find the culprit....simple little plot.

This is like cross-genetics of a rat and monkey hybrid that may have been the inspiration for Peter Jackson's Braindead flick except Nelson De La Rosa (yeah the wee guy that was Marlon Brando's sidekick as Dr. Moreau) is playing the "Critter From The Sh!tter"...gotta love that tagline, who has poison in his veins, sharp claws and teeth. Ratman is full of cheesey moments and plenty of gore, it isn't the greatest killer monster movie but it is so bad it's still good especially with David Warbeck trying to be serious in a film that he knows it could be bad.

7191PBpwp2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 29th January 2024, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Aquaman 2. Film is a complete disaster! (the first movie is actually good). On the plus side I was never bored and I couldn't fault the actors. Sam Raimi once said that a film maker's worst crime was to make a boring movie so it certainly has that going for it. It also looked expensive but it is certainly not good. Difficult to believe that it had the same creative team behind it, fascinating in a how do these films get made kinda way and maybe it will have somewhat of a cult following like the similarly dodgy (imo) John Carter movie that came out some years back. btw What is up with all the Guinness product placement? You don't only see various cans and official glasses but at one other point, Mamoa even has a line of dialogue about how badly he wants a Guinness. Film score - 4/10.

Also checked out Suitable Flesh. I was pretty hyped for this one since it had a Dennis Paoli HP Lovecraft script and my understanding was that Stuart Gordon had been trying to get it made since the 1990's. I enjoyed it (I think much more than my wife did) but there's a nagging feeling about how much better it could have been with Gordon at the helm. The director doesn't do a bad job but it's just competent and slightly uninspired (he's recently been complaining that the imdb score is too low). I would recommend viewing it but with tempered expectations. Unsure whether to buy if it gets a region b release. btw I was surprised by how sexual some of the scenes were. Further btw Barbara Crampton looks absolutely terrific in this film, you would never realise that Re-Animator was 40 years old. Film score - 7/10.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 29th January 2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 30th January 2024, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crimes At The Dark House. 1940.

Tod Slaughter is the mad man in this little feature who kills a man who has inherited a estate and takes on his identity to kill his enemies and marry into a wealthy family. Based on The Woman In White novel by Wilkie Collins adapted for the screen as a little melodrama stylish thriller with Slaughter outdoing himself and near mimicking his Sweeney Todd role with the trademark throaty cackle that he brings to the screen. Right at the start we are basically thrown into the film with a stake threw the ear and then Tod begins his act of being a great villain. Director George King does provide us with some good atmospheric moments given the budget for the movie at the time, 68 minutes well worth passing for this one, certainly worth a look.

MV5BYzhlY2E1NzYtYmMwMC00MTg4LTg0NDMtOWE1YjkxOTY5MzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 30th January 2024, 08:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She Gods Of Shark Reef. 1958.

It has been a while since I watched a Roger Corman movie and found this (recommended by YouTube to watch). Bill Cord and Don Durant are two brothers shipwrecked on a tropical island (Kaua'i,Hawaii used for the location) and the brothers find themselves saved by a bunch of female pearl divers on the island and are told they will be picked up by a police boat. For a Corman film, we know how he likes to do things on a low which he does everything possible on this one with the budget and manages to capture some great scenery in colour. The pacing of the film is perfect, nothing seemed to be rushed or become slow and stop. The underwater shark attack seems like it was taken from another movie then gently spliced into this. But it's a Corman movie and can't complain.

SheGodsSharkReef-poster.jpg

Attachment 249833
Old 30th January 2024, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beekeeper (2024, David Ayer)

It's everything I could have hoped for tbh. Yes, he wears the costume
When the only sanctuary a man has is shattered by a phone scam, what's a man to do but do the do that do
Ahem. A hoot. Littered with familiar faces it trundles along briskly, and is supremely silly at points.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th January 2024, 10:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Beekeeper (2024, David Ayer)

It's everything I could have hoped for tbh. Yes, he wears the costume
When the only sanctuary a man has is shattered by a phone scam, what's a man to do but do the do that do
Ahem. A hoot. Littered with familiar faces it trundles along briskly, and is supremely silly at points.
Recommended.
Just got home from seeing it myself was gonna do a little write up it's an absolute blast I laughed loudly so many times at how brilliant it was.

Watch it as soon as you can

YOU WILL LOOOOVE IT.

Like this? Share it using the links below!