All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2020, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Willard (1971)

An enjoyable 'of it's time' horror / creature feature with a good central performance by Bruce Davison as the put upon title character, getting a hard time at home and in work from scuzzy boss Ernest Borgnine, who befriends a pack of rats and manages to train them to do his dirty work for him, ie - dispose of his enemies.

There are many good scenes but when the rats aren't up to their tricks it does drag a bit, however, who can't love a film where Borgnine is swarmed over by attacking rats.

Ben (1972)

A decent enough sequel to Willard in which Ben and his fellow rat buddies move in with a sickly (and occasionally annoying) kid (Lee Montgomery).

Although more of the same, the final twenty minutes up the ante with some terrific sewer scenes as the authorities use flame throwers on the now thousands of rats.

For all the schlocky parts of the film it's nearly ruined by that f^cking horrendously maudlin title song.

Neither film is recommended if you have a 'thing' about rats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willard.jpg (81.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg large_j2BdY76AVlZlx2K8ALNzJxD3b7m.jpg (76.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th April 2020, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Force of One. 1979.

When a team of police narcotic drug squad become a target of a karate hitman, they recruit karate champion Matt Logan to train and assist them.

This was a decent old-school Chuck Norris film, he plays ex-Vietnam vet turned karate trainer and champion asked to help train a task force led by Clu Gulager in a field of battle with martial arts after some of his team turn up dead. Jennifer O'Neil plays part of the task force and somewhat of a love interest and knows how to take a guy down. Fans of Norris will enjoy this gritty action thriller flick.

MV5BMjE3NjAyOTgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ1MjkwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 28th April 2020, 01:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Class of 1999. 1990.

When education is on a low and crime is on the rise, a new school principle agrees to a government project, three former military cyborgs have been programmed to be teachers and dish out punishment when necessary. Ex-con and gang leader Cody returns to the school he senses something is wrong with the new teachers.

We have grown up with the term "Don't judge a book by it's cover", I have always put this one aside as it seemed daft and pointles...i was wrong, this seems like a mix of Robocop meets The Terminator but this was one good science-fiction film with a decent star cast. Malcolm McDowell plays the new principle who has small delinquent problem in his school. Stacey Keach plays the "mad Professor" with creepy pale eyes who has the answer, John P Ryan, Pam Grier and Patrick Kilpatrick are the cyborgs of Education. The film delivers action, gun fire, the teachers have different personnel arsenal to use and decent funny one-liners.

MV5BYzExYjY3ZjgtZWJlZi00ZGJhLWJhZTgtNDVmNjA3ZWEwZGVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyOTI1ODY@._V1_.jpg
Old 28th April 2020, 02:58 AM
Cult Addict

Was this actually a sequel to class of 1984 or did i dream it?
Or was it just a cash in?

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 28th April 2020, 03:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Was this actually a sequel to class of 1984 or did i dream it?
Or was it just a cash in?
No you didn't , it was a kinda sequel but not a official one.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 28th April 2020, 04:10 AM
Cult Addict

Class of 84 is a cool film, one of those films that disappeared off the shelves on VHS and i always wanted to see and it lived up to expectations.

I remember class of 1999 coming out years later, before the first emerged from VHS hell, i guessed they were related but never so sure.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 28th April 2020, 08:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Class of 84 is a cool film, one of those films that disappeared off the shelves on VHS and i always wanted to see and it lived up to expectations.

I remember class of 1999 coming out years later, before the first emerged from VHS hell, i guessed they were related but never so sure.
Yes it is a fantastic film and a forgotten gem, people say it's Micheal j Fox debut, it kinda he did one film before it.

There also a sequel to class of 99, called the substitute.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 28th April 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

End of Days (1999)

An entertaining if generally unremarkable action horror film. Whilst Gabriel Byrne as the devil returning to earth to claim a bride stands out, Arnie doesn't really convince in the quieter introspective troubled cop moments, coming across far better in the numerous action set pieces. Delivering lines like "You're a f^cking choirboy compared to me, a choirboy!" like only Arnie can.

If you like Schwarzenegger and you like horror this is well worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg End_of_days_ver5.jpg (39.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th April 2020, 09:02 PM
Cult Master

The_Blob_(1988)_theatrical_poster.jpg

A meteor crashes to earth carrying a slimy pink passenger that feeds on human flesh and the dam thing just wont stop growing. Soon after the killing starts and government agents show up fuelling suspicion that something even more sinister is going on.

This is such a fun remake the gore and kills are fantastic. For the most part the special effects are great there are a couple of ropey moments but nothing can kill the fun of this film. Any film with a leather jacket a mullet and a motorbike is alright with me

Fun factor 8/10
Old 28th April 2020, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Critters 4 & The Jackal

Critters 4

This very disappointing part of the franchise starts with a repeat of Critters 3 end credit sequence where 2 remaining eggs are sent into space along with Charlie. The pod containing them is found by a group of Space Scavengers who take it to an abandoned Space Station where they wait for The Space Council to collect them. During this The Critters hatch and start killing. This was disappointing because it takes ages for The Critters to basically appear and there is a character turn which annoyed me and it appears other people as well. I'll probably go after Critters Attack when able to though.

The Jackal

Bruce Willis is the Chameleon like master assassin who is hired by an Russian Mobster to assassinate a key American figure after his brother is murdered. Sidney Pottier is the Agent in charge who releases Richard Gere to help find The Jackal. I haven't seen this in a while and I was just as entertained as I was when I 1st saw it. It was just under 2 hours but it just flew by. There were roles for J.K. Simmons and Jack Black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4.jpg (6.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tj.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!