Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2021, 04:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Not been keeping up with this thread sorry, these are my last 4 watches.

Children of the Corn is a weird one, I like it, but it's also pretty boring at the same time, the 1st sequel is the best of the franchise

The Craft Legacy is not as bad as people made out, granted a couple of the 4 main girls are super annoying and the 'Plot Twist' for the end was so obvious with about 30 minutes to go, enjoyable though, not shit.

In Search of Darkness I've seen before, it's a very long doc about horror through the 80's in chapters, one for each year, full of famous horror stars and film directors talking about the movies. It's both too long and not long enough. Would be great as hour long episodes, one for each year.

Then last night I thought I wasn't in the mood for a narrative film so I re-watched Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown which is a 90 min bio doc about HP Lovecraft featuring the likes of Ramsay Campbell and Neil Gaiman. It's good, but as I was watching it I wished I'd put on a narrative film, I'll watch 2 tonight to make up for it

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th October 2021, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shakma. 1990.

While playing a role playing game in their medical building with a professor, a small group of students are being attacked by a baboon that is being experimented on to reduce aggressiveness.

I'm sure we have all played Dungeons and Dragons at some point in our lives but why not do it with a Professor who seems to enjoy it as well as being the Dungeon Master. This has always been a fun film to watch every once in a while, the acting is not great but not terrible, Christopher Atkins (Yeah the guy who was stranded on a island with Brooke Shields) plays the unlikely hero while Roddy McDowell plays the professor. Never do experiments on primates, look what happened to Elizabeth Shue in Link and Jason Beghe in Monkey Shines, two other great films.

220px-Shakma1990MoviePoster.jpg
Old 8th October 2021, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Suspiria. 1977.

An American student arrives in Germany to attend a prestigious ballet school and uncovers that it is a coven for witches.

Grazie Dario Argento for this brilliant suspenseful horror flick, as usual right into the first 10-15 minutes he presents us with a good killing after a small introduction to the main character, then the film starts with the nicely set ballet school, then 15-20 mins later all hell breaks loose again with the maggots.

The film has a good decent pace for the build up for the characters that generally builds up slowly to the fine art of using light and shadows combined with great cinematography and excellent score by Goblin that makes the film feel more eerie. The colours that are used in this is like something that someone would only dream of in a very bad nightmare with some creative kills along the way.

suspiria-slide.jpg
Old 8th October 2021, 06:49 PM
Cult Addict

The Witch Who Came From the Sea

I don't dislike this. I actually don't know how I feel about this one. Maybe a rewatch will be in order at some point.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Cat. 1981.

A professor who can communicate with the dead uses his abilities on his household cat and controls it to seek vengeance on those he feels has done him wrong.

Set in a small English town where the 1966 film The Witches was made is the setting for this suspenseful horror/chiller made by Lucio Fulci, that has Patrick Magee as the main lead who seems to dive well into the role of the eccentric psychic. David Warbeck stars as the Scotland Yard detective who is investigating the murders of two teens in a make out hut and Mimsy farmer as the journalist who may know a few things and Al Cliver as the policeman on the beat.

For me this seems a bit mild for Fulci obviously with the rules of making a horror are different in Italy and probably told tone down the gore, spoil sports, we do see things happening up close then the after effects of the cat attacks, maybe the RSPCA didn't think cats would be brutal killers. There is a dense dark atmospheric feel to the movie which is pleasant to see even over a cemetery, always entertaining.

black-cat.jpg

*at 1hr 12 minutes those with photo sensitivity epilepsy be advised there is some strong flashing lights*
Old 8th October 2021, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Burning. 1981

A former caretaker at a summer camp was burned in a prank gone wrong, 5 years later he arrives at another summer camp murdering the teens their.

I had no intentions of watching this film this year but it popped up and decided to let it play out and strangely still enjoy it. Rick Wakeman's soundtrack is still good along with the killings that make the film memorable with the garden shears.

Theburningposter.jpg
Old 8th October 2021, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

With the first week gone i thought i'd give the films i've seen so far a star rating. Or should i say a pumpkin rating out of five.

Halloween Resurrection (2002) ½

Hell Night (1981)

The Reckoning (2020)

The Blair Witch Project (1999) ½

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000) ½

Blair Witch (2016)

Pumpkinhead (1988)

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

The Dark Eyes of London (1939) ½

Anything ½ and above i really enjoyed.
Old 8th October 2021, 11:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't Look In The Basement. 1973.

A young nurse takes up a post in a lonesome psychiatric house after a murder, the main doctor Masters does not like outsiders and soon the young nurse finds out why.

This is one of those movies that looks cheap, was made on a budget of $100.000 and filmed over two weeks, there is a slow build up pace to it that seems go up and down then finally the last 20 mins or so make it worth while. The acting may not be at it's best, but does have it's small suspense and tense moments. I seen this one a few years back and forgot all about it, got no high hopes for the second one but will give it a go.

basement.jpg
Old 9th October 2021, 01:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't Look In The Basement 2. 2015.

40 plus years after the murders at the Stephens Sanitarium, only survivor Sam is brought to a new practice and a new doctor William Matthews starts. Soon things take a turn when the doctors and patients don't seem to be themselves.

After waiting this long for a sequel and directed by the son of the original director Tony Brownrigg may have had a good idea, I had no high hopes but it did surprise me with something of a plot twist half way through. The acting may no be the greatest but certainly help pass 90 minutes of my night, sequels can be hard to follow suit of the predecessor, I wouldn't go on a hunt for this if you haven't seen the first film, if it interests you then both films are on YouTube.

41PnmokDy2L._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 9th October 2021, 03:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Castle Of Blood. 1964.

A journalist takes on a bet to spend the night in a haunted castle.

With Barabara Steele as a ghost who wouldn't want to spend the night in a castle with her floating or roaming about. I came across this by accident when it was titled Danza Macabre a while back and totally loved it, nice stylish Italian Gothic atmosphere and brilliantly acted out with suspense. The scenery, black and white cinematography, and the background score is what makes this a great film.

220px-Danza_macabra_poster.jpg

That's it for me for today, have a good day all...if anything happens, don't name it after me please

Like this? Share it using the links below!