Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2022, 01:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Prowler. 1981.

A killer in WWII clothing stalks a University and kills some party goers, another simple tale it seems but there may be a hint of revenge that the killer got jilted and doesn't want anyone to have some hanky panky and have a good time. There isn't that many fright scenes or has my mind been corrupted. Tom Savini does his best with the special effects with the killings and tends to be creative on his work with this. A film I never appreciated but it has grown on me now.

The_Prowler.jpg

Up next The Company Of Wolves
Old 13th October 2022, 03:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Company Of Wolves. 1984.

A young girl has nightmares of wolves while living in a manor house.

This is a well made movie based on the short stories Wolf-Alice and The Werewolf by Angela Carter and directed by Neil Jordan with his first horror movie. Angela Lansbury (R.I.P) plays the grandmother who tells tales to Rosaleen played by Sarah Pattersen who then in turns tells tales to her mother about wolves.

It is like a dark Gothic tale of Red Riding Hood mixed with fairy tale folklore of dark woods, despite the low budget this had, Jordan and the crew do manage to create great effects with the cinematography, set pieces and good costume designs. There is some decent gore scenes and some good transformation scenes created by Christopher Tucker. Certainly a good cult classic film.

MV5BMDM0NzY2MTYtNzI4Zi00NzM1LWI1OTktNTVkNWI1ODdlN2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th October 2022, 05:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Rage: Carrie 2. 1999.

After the suicide of her only friend, Rachel is reached out by a school football player Jesse who is part of a popular group of people who torment Rachel, unbeknownst to them she has a secret power.

This has some drama like looking back at high school with the popular ones in their little clique groups, some laughs thrown in and like it's predecessor a young girl slowly adjusting to control and possibly understand here telekinetic powers and some romance thrown in.

Amy Irving returns as Sue Snell who survived the original prom party massacre, even though she isn't on screen much you can tell she is tormented about what happened and what she saw. Irving portrayal of the character is decently well done.

Emily Bergl plays the lead Rachel and does a decent job as the near outcasted teen who seems to talk to Eddie Kaye Thomas who comes out with one or two laughs. Jason London plays the footballer who throughout becomes attracted to Rachel. The finale is not as tense but certainly has it's big blood splatter and karma can be a bitch.

I never really cared much for this back when it first came out but after watching it again think this may grow on me.

Carrie_2_poster_6933.jpg

Have a good day all.
Old 13th October 2022, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 11th

Halloween: H20 (1998)

A good cast, some nice in joke easter eggs - the scene between Laurie and Norma is just gorgeous - and some well done set pieces make Halloween: H20 one of the classier offerings in the series.

A sequel to Halloween II, all further installments are completely ignored, this feels like the real deal, even if it owes a little too much to writer Kevin Williamson's Scream, in fact i'm sure it even nicks musical cues from that film, but with Michael Myers in good form it's easy to ignore those details and just enjoy H20 for what it is - a fine entry in the Halloween series and also quite probably the most fun entry. An easy film to simply sit back and enjoy.

I first saw this at the cinema and it was such a joy to see horror icons on the big screen. Michael Myers and Laurie Strode, not to mention Janet Leigh, and hearing John Carpenter's iconic theme. It still thrills me just thinking about it.
Old 13th October 2022, 11:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Prowler. 1981.

A killer in WWII clothing stalks a University and kills some party goers, another simple tale it seems but there may be a hint of revenge that the killer got jilted and doesn't want anyone to have some hanky panky and have a good time. There isn't that many fright scenes or has my mind been corrupted. Tom Savini does his best with the special effects with the killings and tends to be creative on his work with this. A film I never appreciated but it has grown on me now.

Attachment 242638

Up next The Company Of Wolves
A classic slasher.One of my faves.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th October 2022, 11:35 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Halloween: H20 (1998)

A good cast, some nice in joke easter eggs - the scene between Laurie and Norma is just gorgeous - and some well done set pieces make Halloween: H20 one of the classier offerings in the series.

A sequel to Halloween II, all further installments are completely ignored, this feels like the real deal, even if it owes a little too much to writer Kevin Williamson's Scream, in fact i'm sure it even nicks musical cues from that film, but with Michael Myers in good form it's easy to ignore those details and just enjoy H20 for what it is - a fine entry in the Halloween series and also quite probably the most fun entry. An easy film to simply sit back and enjoy.

I first saw this at the cinema and it was such a joy to see horror icons on the big screen. Michael Myers and Laurie Strode, not to mention Janet Leigh, and hearing John Carpenter's iconic theme. It still thrills me just thinking about it.
One of the best installments of the series.
nicholasrope likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th October 2022, 04:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE HEART OF MIDNIGHT – I don’t do many re-watches, but over the last few years ‘The Heart Of Midnight’ has gone on around Autumn. Who knows? There’s something about the spidery piano theme that makes me think of gardens full of falling leaves, so it could just be as easy as that. The film itself stars Jennifer Jason Leigh as a troubled woman who inherits an abandoned sex club from her uncle. It seems he was ‘that’ kind of uncle – we see just how creepy later in the film, as evidence of his abuse flickers up on basement video screens. Before then, unpleasant things happen as they would in any abandoned sex club. Leigh’s rape at the hands of a bunch of knuckle dragging savages heralds the arrival of shifty Peter Coyote, and from there the narrative takes us through a neo-noirish terrain of head games and ambiguous intent. The big mystery at the heart of ‘The Heart Of Midnight’ is only moderately interesting, but what is interesting is the film’s sheer oddness. It strains for the surreal in ways that sometimes seem a bit obvious (that waterbed full of eye balls etc), but the cumulative effect is heady. A lot of its atmosphere has to do with the set design; the menstrual red corridors seem straight out of David Lynch and are a constant and oppressive presence. And what’s with all those grimy rooms full of apples? “That looks pretty symbolic,” you can imagine the art director saying, but somehow it doesn’t seem lame. If I had to pin down my fascination, I’d say there’s just something about the way it’s simultaneously stagey and hypnotic that keeps hooking me back in. It’s not a perfect film, but it’s eerie, strange and vaguely (and obviously, I guess) sleazy, and both Jennifer Jason Leigh and Peter Coyote are very good in their roles and give the film some stature.
Old 13th October 2022, 06:54 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 13

images.jpeg

A grizzly murder is left unsolved in Hong Kong then 8 years later in Macao two kids find a bag filled human body parts washed up on the beach. Inside the bag are the arms of the mother if the owners of a local restaurant The Eight Immortals a restaurant that now has a new owner and the prime suspect when more people from the restaurant start to go missing.

I had heard so many things about this films over the years so it was exciting to finally watch it. At times it does love up to its nasty reputation but other times I found it dragged on a little bit spending too much time on the comedy element of the stupid cops investigating the murders. At times it was funny and I found the captain strolling is with a different beautiful woman on his arm every day funny and the banter with the female cop and her lack sexuality quite funny but their stupidity soon got a little tedious.

When it gets nasty it's a pretty nasty little film it's not often a director has the balls to show kids getting killed let alone brutally murdered which we get here and making it worse was the kids having to watch their mother and father murdered in front of them. An other nasty scene was a pretty brutal rape scene with some chop sticks very grim I must say.

As nasty as Untold Story is at times I was laughing just at how over the top it was and a few times I had to say Jesus Christ out loud at what I was watching.

Anthony Wong is amazing here and totally believable as a complete maniac he just has the look of it :skull
Old 13th October 2022, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Card Player. 2004.

Jump back to the release of this film then go back 20 years and watch Argento's and compare his work to this, after The Stendahl Syndrome, Dario went on to do his version of Phantom Of The Opera which wasn't gracefully received by his audience and tried to do a come back with this. Did someone tell him to cool it or tone it down with his usual violence??

Liam Cunningham plays the British Interpol agent who's back story is told how he came to work in Rome in a brief moment and does try his best with the role and character. Stefania Rocca plays the detective assigned to the case of the online poker player who uses the game with his victims if they win or loose, her acting in this is not great but not terrible either.

The killings are done mostly off screen which is a bit of a disappointment, even with a main character's impalement death is quickly over and done with and very little blood splatter. With Argento's films there is a twist as to who the culprit is and to the story but you can almost figure it out quickly, I know I watched this 2-3 years ago but re-watches never harm anyone, think this will have a love/hate relationship with me.

MV5BMTkyMjMzNjQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTMzNjAzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Up next Children Of The Corn II.
Old 13th October 2022, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curse of Michael Myers

Easily the worst of 4-6 , you could see what they tried to go for but it failed miserably. You could see that donald pleasence was deathly ill and died during filming but he still gave it his all. Had feel sorry for the Jamie character.

One of the only plus points I can think of is we have Paul Rudd playing a growing up Tommy from the first movie, Rudd has to be part vampire or something he doesn't age like normal people.

Ghost house (1988)

Have to say I really enjoyed this a man picks up a strange single of eerie voices and screaming so like anyone would be goes of too investigate with his girlfriend the follow the signal to a abandoned house, while there they meet some other people , these people sound like the voices that had been heard.

Soon people start seeing a creepy girl and her creepy clown doll and then the gruesome killings start. Some great gory kills and unnerving feel to the movie.

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th October 2022 at 09:18 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!