Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2023, 03:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE SHIVER OF THE VAMPIRES – Jean Rollin was near the start of his career in highly ornamented goth vamp surrealism when he made ‘Shiver Of The Vampires’. The fact that he’d just exited the sixties is obvious; it’s not only the eye-popping colouration that smacks of pop psychedelia, but the whole aesthetic package, right down to a score that sounds like the result of a face-off between early Floyd and the Velvets. As ever, Rollin takes what I think of as a painterly approach to his subject, often content to linger on still images of skulls, candles, paintings and naked vamps. “I’ve got a camera, and here’s something that I’m into” - that’s one thing I really like about him, just the sense that very often his films almost seem like excuses for him to play with various combinations of his stock repertoire of obsessions, and here, in addition to the aforementioned goth accoutrements, we have the deserted chateau, the bleak beach, the vampire twins, all familiar from loads of his other movies. What’s different is the tone. My default idea about Rollin is something like “dreamy, enigmatic, long silences, nude vamp posing next to a grandfather clock etc etc.” This is more humorous though, there’s a playfulness to it that is misted over in his other stuff, and it sometimes even feels a bit zany, with sudden lol moments such as when premier vamp Isolde reveals her spiky bra, or when a couple of the others deliver long, declamatory speeches that sound absurdly pompous. With Rollin, what frustrates is the same as what attracts – it’s as cool as f@ck watching sylphlike ingenues carry oversized candelabras around in nicely lit passageways to a twangy psyche garage punk soundtrack, but can you make an entire film that is basically just that? But actually, Jean Rollin proves how ace he is just by trying.
Old 2nd October 2023, 04:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carnival Of Blood. 1970.

There is the the amazingly obnoxious "dumpy lady" who sets out to harass everyone she runs into, the insanely drunk Sailor and his trampy girlfriend, who keeps stuffing his cash into her panties whenever he isn't looking, the creepy fortune teller who warns everyone to go home & "Gimpy", the impaired weirdo with the mysteriously sore covered space. All of whom get theirs as a psycho stalks them through a beachside carnival.

Carnival of Blood' is a schlocky piece of 70's trash, that I grudgingly admit I enjoyed. Don't get me wrong, this movie is bad in almost every technical aspect, has horrible acting, and a plot that is mind-numbingly dumb. The obviously fake gore in the movie reminds me of spme other low budget movies, yet this somehow manages to still entertain me at stupid o.clock in the morning at work.

MV5BNzkwNThjZjAtYWZkNS00Nzk2LThlZGUtNjk0ZjM3MmJlMGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Off to see Saw X in a bit.
Old 2nd October 2023, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 1st.

The Omen (1976)

It really is one hell of a film and as a big budget horror blockbuster it works superbly well. From it's distinguished cast - Gregory Peck - I can't think of a single horror film from the seventies starring a more accomplished actor - Lee Remick, evil Billie Whitelaw, David Warner and Patrick Troughton - to the opening strains of Jerry Goldsmith's iconic theme and some brilliantly constructed deaths, not to mention Richard Donner's taut and pacy direction, The Omen is a classy affair.

It's gripping from the off and Donner really ramps up the atmosphere and chills treating us to some of horror cinema's most recognisable death sequences whilst David Seltzer's script embellishes on a prophecy from the Book of Revelation concerning the Antichrist and the coming of Armageddon, thus creating a suspenseful and genuinely scary horror film that at it's center is about the end of mankind and yet plays out as one man's struggle to believe his son could be evil.

Shown below are the title and end cards of the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1249 (Large).JPG (58.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1251 (Large).JPG (81.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran

Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb (1971)

A delirious Hammer adaptation of Bram Stoker's The Jewel of Seven Stars starring a beautiful and half naked Valerie Leon as Margaret the reincarnation of ancient Egyptian Queen Tara, who because of some kind of genre movie hokum has to find three relics stolen from her tomb in order to come back to life, and do what exactly?

This is a fun and surprisingly grisly take on the Egypt theme, no actual mummy, but who's counting? Apparently a film called The Jewel of Seven Stars just wasn't Hammer enough. Shocking amounts of blood on display here, and it's a bit more realistic looking than that poster paint red you've seen before. Especially nice when the bloody stump of Queen Tara's amputated hand spurts crimson every time one of the cast members dies.

A first time watch of this one, and it won't be the last. A very enjoyable, if slightly odd entry into the Hammer 'Mummy' canon.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 2nd October 2023 at 06:17 PM. Reason: changed picture
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 1st. (2)

Dead Scared (aka The Hazing) (2004)

Its Halloween night and five wannabe frat members are given the challenge of spending the night in a supposedly haunted house. Unfortunately for our young friends one of them becomes possessed by the evil spirit of a half dead professor played by Brad Dourif. A half dead professor who is trying to open portals to another dimension, and he doesn't care if a few teenagers are murdered along the way.

Very much a riff on 1988's Night of the Demons. Mad professor aside, it has the same tone and a similar plot, it even has the same ingredients as the 1988 classic - scares, sex and gore with a massive spoonful of fun thrown in.

The special effects for a no-budget film are very good, ranging from the gooey (scary long tongue cunnilingus) to some fine bloody kills. In fact the production as a whole is quite good, always looking impressive despite its low budget. Brad Dourif is always good value in schlock such as this as is the lovely Tiffany Shepis who runs round the whole film wearing a skin tight silver catsuit. This alone makes it essential viewing for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1263 (Large).JPG (81.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:16 PM
Cult Master

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 2

MV5BMWU0NjMxZGMtMjg5OC00Y2RiLThiMmEtYzYzMmFiNTgyMjM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

As the world is dealing with a deadly virus a scientist and his park ranger guide head off on a two day trek to find the base camp of another scientist that is out in the woods working off grid. During their first night their camp id destroyed and they are both assaulted with all their gear and equipment smashed they must wonder the woods without guidence and shoeless. A hermit living in the woods offers to help them with food shoes and medicine but soon his good gesture is turned on its head and they are held captive drugged and force into a strange sort of ritual to please the woods.

I'm glad this was on Netflix because it was a complete waste of my time honestly it's overly long and nothing really happens just a lot of talk that doesn't explain anything sometimes not even making sense. I tried my best to keep up with it but I just kept getting bored. The lead actor is absolutely shocking I have seen him in something before but can't quite place him but I know I didn't like him there either. The guy from League of Gentlemen was really good but he was the only one that created a bit of unease but maybe that's just from his previous work .

The best things about the whole film for me was the soundtrack sounded great it had the 80s synthwave thing going on and the location was beautiful.

I'm sure there is some deep meaning to this that I totally missed but it just wasn't for me.

Day 2 is a dud
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I didn't read your review of In the Earth, Nordy as i have it to watch at some point.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't read your review of In the Earth, Nordy as i have it to watch at some point.

Enjoy
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd October 2023, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Third Saturday In October (Jay Burleson)

The first of these "homage" slashers is set in 1979??
A group of stoners traipse around where they shouldn't.
A serial killer is set for execution.
Guess where these events intertwine?
Looked like that Antrum in places cough.
Decent enough claret I suppose. The antagonist did something to some kittens and it put me right off harumph.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 2

Attachment 248167

As the world is dealing with a deadly virus a scientist and his park ranger guide head off on a two day trek to find the base camp of another scientist that is out in the woods working off grid. During their first night their camp id destroyed and they are both assaulted with all their gear and equipment smashed they must wonder the woods without guidence and shoeless. A hermit living in the woods offers to help them with food shoes and medicine but soon his good gesture is turned on its head and they are held captive drugged and force into a strange sort of ritual to please the woods.

I'm glad this was on Netflix because it was a complete waste of my time honestly it's overly long and nothing really happens just a lot of talk that doesn't explain anything sometimes not even making sense. I tried my best to keep up with it but I just kept getting bored. The lead actor is absolutely shocking I have seen him in something before but can't quite place him but I know I didn't like him there either. The guy from League of Gentlemen was really good but he was the only one that created a bit of unease but maybe that's just from his previous work .

The best things about the whole film for me was the soundtrack sounded great it had the 80s synthwave thing going on and the location was beautiful.

I'm sure there is some deep meaning to this that I totally missed but it just wasn't for me.

Day 2 is a dud
I don't know if possibly I got a bit more from this one than you Nord but on the whole your review is on the money. In particular your comment on the lead. What an atrocious bit of poor casting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!