Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2015, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

For years Cronenberg was my favourite director until I discovered Michael Findlay. I know that sounds slightly mad but they both resonate with some part of myself, best not explored, that now I can't decide which one I prefer.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

A History of Violence (2005) and Eastern Promises (2007) are both great little thrillers, allowing his go-to actor of choice, Viggo Mortensen, a respite from running around with Hobbits.
And instead running around with Bobbits (Hanging out!)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thouroughly enjoyed History and Eastern.

Spider was rather boring,Crash did nowt for me and Cosmopolis is an acquired taste.Don't know if that was being traumatised by Edward Cullen being in a Cronenberg film!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th May 2018, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Videodrome (1983)

A cautionary fable. A sleazoid TV producer finds his world is shaken to the core by his pursuit of ratings. How prescient this seemed. Cough. It looks nice and sharp certainly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th May 2018, 10:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Videodrone and on ... and on ... and on ...

I hold this and Scanners in high regard. Always have. Mainly because they were easier to rent than Shivers tbh. The Brood I finally found in Cullen ahem. I reread these reviews sometimes and it seems like flippancy on my part but I do DC ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th May 2018, 07:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I bought and watched the Criterion 1 disc bd of Scanners last week-stunning!
Demoncrat and Linbro like this.

Old 7th May 2018, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Good to hear .. expect nowt less from them

[B]
Old 5th September 2018, 01:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

David Cronenberg is plotting his first major TV series | Den of Geek

David Cronenberg is plotting his first major TV series
The good news is, a David Cronenberg TV series is coming. The bad news is, we can't see it immediately.

NEWS

The Venice Film Festival just handed David Cronenberg a lifetime achievement award, and precisely no one thought it was undeserved. The acclaimed director has churned out some of our all time favourite movies over the years, including The Fly, Scanners, The Dead Zone and Videodrome, and up until 2014 he was still consistently delivering some uniquely strange and extremely watchable projects.

The director has also dabbled in TV before, and quite a lot during his early career, but it's all just been the odd episode here and there since. Now, he's announced that it's absolutely the right time for a big fat Cronenbergian debut TV series to come to fruition on the small screen, and to this we say "yes, please."

During a filmmaker's panel over the weekend, Cronenberg refused to dish up any details about the planned longform TV series he's currently gestating, but did back up previous comments he's made about not giving a single solitary fudge about the death of the classic cinema experience for punters, adding this time that the art of making movies isn't dying, but “just evolving.”

Cronenberg seems to be enjoying setting himself up as the anti-Christopher Nolan on this one, and we'd definitely plonk ourselves down in a ringside seat to see these two argue it out.

More on this as we get it.
Old 18th August 2019, 11:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Come across this thought I'd post it. .
https://cinephiliabeyond.org/crash/

Eros and Thanatos Collide in David Cronenberg’s Id-Driven Adaptation of J.G. Ballard’s ‘Crash’

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/fly/

‘DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A SICK MAN TO YOU?’: The Horror of Identity and the Identity of Horror in David Cronenberg’s ‘The Fly’
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Come across this thought I'd post it. .
https://cinephiliabeyond.org/crash/

Eros and Thanatos Collide in David Cronenberg’s Id-Driven Adaptation of J.G. Ballard’s ‘Crash’

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/fly/

‘DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A SICK MAN TO YOU?’: The Horror of Identity and the Identity of Horror in David Cronenberg’s ‘The Fly’
With Cronenberg we all know what to expect with his horror vision and pychology of the mind movies, with Crash, yeah will admit read the book and was a bit "WOW" sex and wrecks, but could also serve as P.S.A. speed, and carelessness hurts and kills, if some were to read the books before being made then surely they know what to expect, i'm sure people who see the films and moan about it weren't forced to watch them.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!