All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2010, 12:28 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeththefirst View Post
'WILLMA! WILLMA! GO GET MY POWER-DRILL!'

Picked up The Last Temptation of Reid of vinyl recently at a record fair. Great record.
Old 20th April 2010, 03:34 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I'm aware there's not a big appreciation of hip hop here, but it's a very sad day for the genre as Guru from the group Gangstarr sadly passed away today after battling cancer. He was a legendary figure in the rap world and as a fan of proper hip hop it's indeed devastating news
Old 20th April 2010, 03:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

RIP Guru!

I must confess I'm not into hip hop that much. I did go through a phase of Busta Rhymes appreciation though. Also, I used to love the Fugees, and still am a big fan of Wyclef Jean & Lauryn Hills solo stuff. Espcially love 'Clef's 1st solo album 'The Carnival'.

The problem I have with hip hop it often puts the lyrics before the music, whereas I'm more of a music over lyrics person. Or at least like an equal weighting of the two Which, incidentally, I think Springsteen (pictured) delivers with awesome lyrics and an awesome band!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 20th April 2010, 08:11 PM
Cultist

My thoughts are with Guru's family.

Bertrand Russell, Has Religion Made Useful Contributions To Civilisation?

http://www.myspace.com/elizabethveldontunes
Old 20th April 2010, 09:39 PM
Active Cultist

RIP Guru, a legend of the hip hop world. Gang Starr were awesome.

I'm a big fan of 80's and early to mid 90's hip hop, anything after about 1997 (essentially when Biggie died), I find it to be all garbage from then on. It just lost its spark to be honest.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:57 PM
Cultist

I loved the pre-censorship Body Count but they got so slapped down by the court case against them that they lost their guts and never reached the same insane/ satirical heights.

All together now:

Cop killer
Better you than me
Cop killer
F*ck police brutality
Cop killer
I know your familie's grieving
F*ck them
Cop killer
'Cause tonight we get even.

Poetry. WEll sort off...

Old 20th April 2010, 11:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Haha! Nice lyrics

I like these ones by Ice Cube: "Today was a good day, I didn't even have to use my AK, today was a good day".

I also liked Chris Morris' version of Phil Collins' Easy Lover on Brass Eye, which he renamed "Uzi Lover". It featured such poignant lyrics as:

"Uzi like a metal dick in my hand, magazine like a big testicle gland, bitch wanna try it, I said keep it quiet.. shove it up your mother****in ass and fry it".

Hey elizabeth, I'll give oacis and the other tracks a proper listen tomorrow, havn't had chance to yet.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 20th April 2010, 11:25 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Haha! Nice lyrics

I like these ones by Ice Cube: "Today was a good day, I didn't even have to use my AK, today was a good day".

I also liked Chris Morris' version of Phil Collins' Easy Lover on Brass Eye, which he renamed "Uzi Lover". It featured such poignant lyrics as:

"Uzi like a metal dick in my hand, magazine like a big testicle gland, bitch wanna try it, I said keep it quiet.. shove it up your mother****in ass and fry it".

Hey elizabeth, I'll give oacis and the other tracks a proper listen tomorrow, havn't had chance to yet.
Cool, it's a mixed bag of minimalist to upbeat and ambient.

Chris Morris was a genius, I can never think of a nice bit of cake the same way now.

Old 21st April 2010, 04:50 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Nice BE
God lives Underwater, Lard and Neds(one of my all time fave 90's bands)
Used to know Neds personally as they come from my neck of the woods, still see Jonn and Rat around today, worked it out that I had seen Neds live over 150 times only surpassed by The Mission
Old 21st April 2010, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
Used to know Neds personally as they come from my neck of the woods, still see Jonn and Rat around today, worked it out that I had seen Neds live over 150 times only surpassed by The Mission
Only got to see them twice myself, amazing live.
God Fodder is one of my fave albums, it and Honey's dead by the Mary Chain are my 'going out on the piss' albums.

Like this? Share it using the links below!