Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16558Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2016, 06:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ive not seen many Asian films, only one or two from the Tartan Asia (Asia extreme?) label years ago. Can't afford to commit to another long running collection, but I'll probs pick up a few of them, which I defo wouldn't have done for any sex comedies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8th April 2016, 07:11 PM
Cultist

Would love to see Bloody Parrot and The Underground Banker amongst others on a Blu-ray label. There are just too many Japanese films that I could list for release.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2016, 07:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Something worth keeping an eye on.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Ive not seen many Asian films, only one or two from the Tartan Asia (Asia extreme?) label years ago. Can't afford to commit to another long running collection, but I'll probs pick up a few of them, which I defo wouldn't have done for any sex comedies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is going to be a long running line. It's been in the pipeline for over a year actually... When I was working freelance for 88 in the UK this was a beloved project of mine and I was thrilled when it finally went forward. There will be more Shaw, HD worldwide debuts, and the titles so far secured are all personal favourites of mine. I went through the catalogue with total and utter bias and I'm not ashamed to say so!

I also expect Arrow Video to now announce they are going to Hong Kong movies. Seriously. Watch this space.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've never watched the cut version, however there was some discussion that the BBFC scissor-happy butchery actually disrupts the flow and the tone of the film due to them cutting out the animal violence but not any of the scenes around it making them jarring and nonsensical - the monkey scene was one that was mentioned. Unfortunately, if this is true, then it looks like this will be the case with the forthcoming release too.
The monkey sequence has not been censored this time around.

There are cuts to the following:

The cockfight
The snake that is cut open and bled onto the body of Me Me Lai
The cobra vs. mongoose fight
The crocodile which is skinned alive

We tried to argue the cockfight as this horrible bloodsport is, unfortunately, perfectly legal in parts of Thailand such as Chiang Mai. We really didn't see any issue given that Lenzi was shooting the sort of thing that happens legally. Alas the BBFC, who are as hypocritical as it gets said no (they still haven't told me how kicking around a piglet or tying a monkey to a pole and running around with it, before striking it twice across the head to kill it, are not cruelty. And don't get me started with the pulling of a large turtle out of its habitat in Cannibal Holocaust, including knocking it across the head in the process - look at that scene again if you doubt me).

Either way, the new cuts don't disrupt the film - and the 88 Films edition is far superior to anything Raro will be putting out. We have a brand new 80 minute documentary on the life of Me Me Lai, which could just as easily have been a standalone documentary and feature contributions from the lady herself, Eli Roth, Ruggero Deodato and others. We have a new piece with Eli Roth talking about the Italian cannibal boom, an extensive interview with Lenzi himself and a commentary track done by yours truly.

As an aside, my new (academic) book on Cannibal Holocaust is now available for pre-order on Amazon. It will, I hope, be of interest to anyone who wants to a read more scholarly and formalist approach to this movie...

Cannibal Holocaust (Devil's Advocates): Amazon.co.uk: Calum Waddell: 9781911325116: Books
Old 9th April 2016, 07:56 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It arrived!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460188380.577733.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1460188573.585326.jpg
Old 9th April 2016, 08:03 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
When's it officially out?
Old 9th April 2016, 08:04 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The 88 Films Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
When's it officially out?

Out everywhere on Monday.
J Harker likes this.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 9th April 2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: .
Old 9th April 2016, 08:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Out everywhere on Monday.
Thanks. My HMV should have it in about a fortnight then. 😊
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 08:19 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The monkey sequence has not been censored this time around.

There are cuts to the following:

The cockfight
The snake that is cut open and bled onto the body of Me Me Lai
The cobra vs. mongoose fight
The crocodile which is skinned alive

We tried to argue the cockfight as this horrible bloodsport is, unfortunately, perfectly legal in parts of Thailand such as Chiang Mai. We really didn't see any issue given that Lenzi was shooting the sort of thing that happens legally. Alas the BBFC, who are as hypocritical as it gets said no (they still haven't told me how kicking around a piglet or tying a monkey to a pole and running around with it, before striking it twice across the head to kill it, are not cruelty. And don't get me started with the pulling of a large turtle out of its habitat in Cannibal Holocaust, including knocking it across the head in the process - look at that scene again if you doubt me).

Either way, the new cuts don't disrupt the film - and the 88 Films edition is far superior to anything Raro will be putting out. We have a brand new 80 minute documentary on the life of Me Me Lai, which could just as easily have been a standalone documentary and feature contributions from the lady herself, Eli Roth, Ruggero Deodato and others. We have a new piece with Eli Roth talking about the Italian cannibal boom, an extensive interview with Lenzi himself and a commentary track done by yours truly.

As an aside, my new (academic) book on Cannibal Holocaust is now available for pre-order on Amazon. It will, I hope, be of interest to anyone who wants to a read more scholarly and formalist approach to this movie...

Cannibal Holocaust (Devil's Advocates): Amazon.co.uk: Calum Waddell: 9781911325116: Books
But calum for us who want uncut version raro is best
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!