LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2016, 04:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
88 Films has just announce a collection of Asian horror with the first title being the Shaw Brothers horror Hex.

https://www.facebook.com/38388877162...type=3&theater
Here's the text:

Over a year ago (after a successful start to the ITALIAN and SLASHER ranges) we asked you guys and gals what new collection of remastered flicks you wanted to see.

Overwhelmed by the response for an far eastern collection of horror and martial arts we started planning our Bollywood and Sex Comedy Collections. Unfortunately these fell through at the last minute, so instead......

88 Films is proud to announce the launch of our latest collection - 88 Asia!

Before RING, before DARK WATER, before SHUTTER there was HEX

Asian horror cinema was already hitting strikes by the time the1980s dawned and nowhere was more ahead of the curve than the then-British colony of Hong Kong. The city of neon lights and vibrant street life was no stranger to scary movies and HEX was perhaps the island's crowning achievement. Released in 1980, and emerging from the legendary Shaw Bros Studios, whose knack for colourful landscapes and misty atmosphere remains legendary, HEX tells a weird and wonderful story of witchcraft and wanton revenge!

Directed by the late, great Kuei Chih-Hung, whose output also includes the frequently censored "nasty" THE KILLER SNAKES (1974), this formidable Eastern frightener has an abused woman caught in a strange mystery of manslaughter and macabre happenings. To say anything else would be to spoil one of the Orient's most influential terror titles, but rest assured that HEX has a few spooky surprises up its sleeve.

Now gaining its worldwide HD debut from 88 Films, HEX may just be the greatest ghost story you have never seen!
Old 8th April 2016, 04:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, I just refreshed mine and it said the same.
We must've received them in different orders, because I had the e-mail with the order contents (Creepshow 2 & Sleepaway Camp 2 & 3) after the one with the link with the order progress.
Old 8th April 2016, 04:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
88 Films has just announce a collection of Asian horror with the first title being the Shaw Brothers horror Hex.

Wow!

Really excited about this - Hex is pretty bonkers. Hopefully we'll see Bewitched, the Black Magic films and Boxer's Omen get releases too.
Old 8th April 2016, 04:13 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:

great my cup of tea
Old 8th April 2016, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Creepshow 2,sleepaway camp 2 & 3 are now with Royal Mail for me too. Knowing my luck though they still won't show up till next week even 1st class,but fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Hex sounds interesting.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2016, 04:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Attachment 177542

Another announcement

I really wish they'd stick to one style of cover for their standard releases. It's a little annoying. Blue cases, clear cases, now Criterion style cases. At the very least, take that blu-ray logo off the front of the cover. Everyone will know what it is, especially as it'll be sitting in the blu-ray section.
I presume it will be the same size as a standard blu-ray case. It doesn't look like a blu to me otherwise.

It's much better without the bluray logo that usually runs along the top of cases.

I really like the design by the way.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2016, 04:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Wow!

Really excited about this - Hex is pretty bonkers. Hopefully we'll see Bewitched, the Black Magic films and Boxer's Omen get releases too.
I haven't seen any of those but, because I'm always looking to widen my cinematic horizons, this will be another collection which I'll feel compelled to complete and have arranged in alphabetical order on a shelf.
Mojo, Graeme73 and Deadite like this.
Old 8th April 2016, 04:17 PM
Cult Veteran

I Hope that 'Asia' is going to take all of Asia into account and not just Hong Kong and Japan, it'd be great to see some Indian horror films popping up.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th April 2016, 04:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The 88 Films Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I presume it will be the same size as a standard blu-ray case. It doesn't look like a blu to me otherwise.

It's much better without the bluray logo that usually runs along the top of cases.

I really like the design by the way.

Yeah, same size/dimensions as a standard blu-ray case, just without the blu-logo, meaning you can get more of the art on there. Django was initally released in this type of case in the UK too. The thing that bugs me, is that they feel the need to slap the logo on the top right. 101 films have done that as well. Criterion don't do it. Guess 88 and co think we're too dumb to figure it out.

I bet you any money, they give us reverse art without the 88 & BBFC logo.....and still leave the blu-ray logo up there.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 8th April 2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .
Old 8th April 2016, 04:19 PM
Cult Addict

I think that the idea of HK horror is terrific so long as they can get decent prints.
trebor8273, Graeme73 and Deadite like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!