Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:42 PM
Cult Master

Looks like Powerhouse are getting into the book market!

'The Exotic Ones' - Deluxe Hardback Book available from Powerhouse direct - £75:00

Release date: May 29

"June. Ron. Tim. Together they were the Ormond Organization, a Nashville mother-father-son trio who cranked out a wild bunch of movies, from Lash LaRue westerns to the stripper-gore-musical outrage The Exotic Ones, then, finally… Baptist extravaganzas. The Ormonds plunged into every area of showbiz, from vaudeville to drive-in movies to Christian filmmaking. They did it all on a shoestring – by themselves, with no studio to back them.

Theirs was a glittery world like no other. Populated by inebriated cowboys… spook-show mentalists… non-acting country stars… UFO testifiers… men in gorilla suits… fire-breathing, mud-wrestling ex-strippers… egocentric magicians… rockabilly monsters… sweaty preachers… pint-sized evangelists. Not to mention a con artist or ten.

At the height of their frenzied career Ron and June experienced a spiritual awakening after their private plane crashed on the way to a premiere. The Ormonds turned their back on secular show business to produce a series of shocking, surreal religious pictures, including an unbelievable trio of films for Mississippi Baptist preacher Estus Pirkle – such as The Burning Hell, which made millions without ever being shown in an actual movie theatre. The inside story on the three unbelievable Ormond-Pirkle religious pictures has never been told – until now.

Forensic biographer Jimmy McDonough interviewed June Ormond extensively and she revealed things she told no other soul. June was the guiding force of the family, a woman who held her own in the cutthroat male-dominated world of exploitation film. Her commentary is hilarious, brutally honest and at times heartbreaking.

Presented by Nicolas Winding Refn, and released to coincide with Powerhouse Films’ publication of From Hollywood to Heaven, a four-disc Blu-ray box set of thirteen films by the Ormond Family, The Exotic Ones is a landmark work by Jimmy McDonough, and a beautifully designed feast for the eyes.

‘This is the last book I will write on exploitation film,’ says Jimmy. ‘Buy it! Or go to hell.’"

Features:
  • Luxurious large format quarter-bound hardcover book in heavy duty slipcase with ribbon page markers and gold page edges
  • Nearly forty years in the making
  • Contains over 800 photos
  • Limited Collector’s Edition of just 1,500 copies
  • All previous FAB Press collaborations with byNWR have sold out quickly, and are now much-sought-after high-priced collector’s items
  • Dimensions: 350mm x 310mm x 38mm
  • Weight: 4025g
  • ISBN: 9781913051181

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Exotic Ones 1.jpg (50.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Exotic Ones 2.jpg (93.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Exotic Ones 3.jpg (69.3 KB, 49 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm a bit disappointed nothing has been dispatched yet.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
They must have been inundated with orders. As i mentioned earlier my first order took a full week for me to get the dispatch notice email. Even now Royal Mail don't seem to have it in their system.

Hopefully i'll get it by Easter and the second one the week after Easter.

When you get your parcel you won't want to open it as it's a beautifully packaged work of art using tape and bubble wrap.

Amazon they ain't
Justin101 and Nuno_Miranda like this.
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Looks like Powerhouse are getting into the book market!
Yes, it was announced with The Ormond box set back in February.
Old 4th April 2023, 11:07 AM
Cult Addict

My first order went in last Tuesday and my second on Friday. I imagine they are flat out, but I'm still surprised they haven't dispatched last Tuesdays order.

Old 4th April 2023, 11:09 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
My first order went in last Tuesday and my second on Friday. I imagine they are flat out, but I'm still surprised they haven't dispatched last Tuesdays order.

Like i say it was Friday to Friday for me - arriving tomorrow by the way, so i'd be hopeful yours will be dispatched today.

They won't send a partial order, so if something is awaiting stock they'll wait until everything's available to ship.
Old 5th April 2023, 11:47 AM
Cult Master

Jaysus if ye are waiting that long I'll get my order in May

I tried to track Martin from Second Sight yesterday and it said it was estimated to arrive between April 30th and May 20th would of ordered from Amazon
Old 5th April 2023, 12:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Jaysus if ye are waiting that long I'll get my order in May

I tried to track Martin from Second Sight yesterday and it said it was estimated to arrive between April 30th and May 20th would of ordered from Amazon
Did you know Second Sight are also Lime Wood Media?

All from the same distribution center as Powerhouse.
Old 5th April 2023, 12:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you know Second Sight are also Lime Wood Media?

All from the same distribution center as Powerhouse.
No I did not

Old 5th April 2023, 01:02 PM
Cult Veteran

I only figured that out when Martin arrived a couple of weeks ago and I was looking at the box thinking that it couldn't be the Jean Rollin discs already and it wasn't... but as per Powerhouse, it was immaculately packaged, plenty of padding inside.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th April 2023, 02:40 PM
Cult Addict

Just had an email from Powerhouse thanking me for ordering. Apologising they haven't dispatched anything yet and explained how hard they're working to get everything out.

Like this? Share it using the links below!