LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2014, 09:35 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Trust me.In parts it looked like a bloody blizzard!

Yeah, so do a lot of films from the 70's/80's, including Close Encounters. Anyone who want's to wipe away all the detail with noise reduction, like yourself, needs their head examined. Sorry!
Old 30th December 2014, 10:48 PM
Cult Addict

Hypothetically if someone had the tech to remove the grain without taking any detail out then I'd be happy with that.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 30th December 2014, 10:55 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Hypothetically if someone had the tech to remove the grain without taking any detail out then I'd be happy with that.

James Cameron managed to remove some of the grain for the Aliens blu-ray without removing too much of the detail, even though it's still pretty grainy. But to me, it sort of defeats the whole purpose of what blu-ray was pushed as, namely presenting films as you would've seen them in the cinema, with the same quality, etc. but until someone can come up with a method of removing it without smoothing detail, it should be left intact.
mr 420, keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict

I agree that detail is the priority and should never be sacrificed to remove grain. And high definition by its very nature exposes the grain along with the detail. However i wouldn't go to an art gallery to look at the texture of the canvas I'd go to see the artwork. I don't feel I'd need to see one to appreciate the other. Prior to the mid 90's seeing films in the cinema was something of a rarity so i suppose i don't feel any sense of nostalgia for film grain either.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

And let's not forget that although a cinema screen is vast compared to a modern LCD, the image is projected at the screen from a long way back plus the viewer would be seated below and quite far back from the screen, I've been going to the cinema for literally decades and have been wowed on too many occasions to count, but if the cinema screen was replaced by a super HD 40ft LCD display fed by 4k content over HDMI or the like it would probably go more like "great movie... but WTF is all that grain flying all over the place" film makers no doubt had no idea that their film would be criticized for "looking too much like a 35mm film image" viewed close-up on our home 1080p screen, if it was shot that way we should just accept that is part of the package.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

Going to order a bundle from the arrow sale toorrow it ends. Most will be blind buys so if i give you lovely people my options any chance of some advice?

Bound
Blind Woman's Curse
Django Prepare A Coffin
Pit Stop
Foxy Brown
Branded To Kill
Brute Force
L'Assassino
Knightriders
Spirits of the Dead
Who Dares Wins
Old 1st January 2015, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Going to order a bundle from the arrow sale toorrow it ends. Most will be blind buys so if i give you lovely people my options any chance of some advice?

Bound
Blind Woman's Curse
Django Prepare A Coffin
Pit Stop
Foxy Brown
Branded To Kill
Brute Force
L'Assassino
Knightriders
Spirits of the Dead
Who Dares Wins
Blind Woman's Curse is a bizarre Japanese film mixing elements of dupernatural, samurai, and down right wierdness. I enjoyed it.

Django Prepare A coffin I really didn't enjoy, and the transfer is pretty ordinary

Pit Stop is a peculiar film, with good acting but pretty downbeat and there is really nothing like it.

Foxy Brown is blacksploitation at it's finest, and Pam Grier is always good

Who Dares Wins is pretty slow burn but pays off in the end, very interesting and a cool ending
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 2nd January 2015, 06:19 AM
Cult Master

Nekromantik | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Film 8
Video 8
Audio 8
Extras 10

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:36 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Bound
Blind Woman's Curse
Django Prepare A Coffin
Pit Stop
Foxy Brown
Branded To Kill
Brute Force
L'Assassino
Knightriders
Spirits of the Dead
Who Dares Wins
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Blind Woman's Curse is a bizarre Japanese film mixing elements of dupernatural, samurai, and down right wierdness. I enjoyed it.

Django Prepare A coffin I really didn't enjoy, and the transfer is pretty ordinary

Pit Stop is a peculiar film, with good acting but pretty downbeat and there is really nothing like it.

Foxy Brown is blacksploitation at it's finest, and Pam Grier is always good

Who Dares Wins is pretty slow burn but pays off in the end, very interesting and a cool ending
Bound is the Wachowskis' best film, so it's a 'must own'. Pit Stop is excellent, as is Foxy Brown. Knightriders is easily in my top three favourite George Romero films, but one which is an acquired taste.

I ordered Branded to Kill, L'Assassino and Brute Force, which are all blind buys for me.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Bound is the Wachowskis' best film, so it's a 'must own'. Pit Stop is excellent, as is Foxy Brown. Knightriders is easily in my top three favourite George Romero films, but one which is an acquired taste.

I ordered Branded to Kill, L'Assassino and Brute Force, which are all blind buys for me.
Can't believe I didn't see Knightriders!!! Fantastic film, a small epic if that makes any sense. A lot of fun, great plot and acting, cool stunts, and all round good story telling.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga

Like this? Share it using the links below!