Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2014, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
As someone who is in my 40's, I still find that the scene with the Autons breaking out of the shop window sends chills down my spine, and has me biting my bottom lip
Definitely! The 'look' of the Auton dummies here too is really unnerving - far scarier than the 'perfect' looking ones in 'Rose'.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:38 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Definitely! The 'look' of the Auton dummies here too is really unnerving - far scarier than the 'perfect' looking ones in 'Rose'.
You're being a bit harsh there. The look of dummies has changed quite a bit since Spearhead.

Both sets of window dummies were correct for their year.

I think i'm the only one who finds Spearhead overrated. It takes an age to get going. It's let down by being a new doctor story i feel. I much prefer Terror of the Autons.

I can't complain about Rose either. The thrill of watching brand new Doctor Who was fantastic.... and classic monsters the Autons to boot. I was made up.
Old 11th March 2014, 07:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You're being a bit harsh there. The look of dummies has changed quite a bit since Spearhead.

Both sets of window dummies were correct for their year.

I think i'm the only one who finds Spearhead overrated. It takes an age to get going. It's let down by being a new doctor story i feel. I much prefer Terror of the Autons.

I can't complain about Rose either. The thrill of watching brand new Doctor Who was fantastic.... and classic monsters the Autons to boot. I was made up.

I know what you mean, I just think the faces of the dummies are a lot scarier than the ones in 'Rose'. There were 'perfect' looking ( for their time ) dummies back then too- but none of them looked like the Spearhead Autons! Yike!

I'd love to see a proper scary Autons story in the new Who.
Old 11th March 2014, 07:20 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The thrill of watching brand new Doctor Who was fantastic.... and classic monsters the Autons to boot. I was made up.
It was for me too... until I actually watched it!

Old 11th March 2014, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

We shouldn't forget that during Colin Baker's period as the Doctor, a story was going to be commissioned called Yellow Fever and How to Cure It written by the legendary Dr Who Writer Robert Holmes. John Nathan-Turner the producer of Dr Who and the production team initially took steps to fully commission the script. The story was very ambitious and expensive to mount. The story was set in Singapore and included return appearences of the Master (Anthony Ainley) and the Rani played by (Kate O'Mara). And the return of the Autons. Both John Nathan-Turner and two other members of the production team visited parts of Singapore in 1985. The story itself was a three parter, and even as early as 1985 the production team started delivering studio design and planning shooting locations. The Autons were going to be more frightening than ever before. Some early designs were drawn up apparently. All three episodes had been fully commissioned on Feb 6th 1985. Judging by what i've read about this story, it would seem that Robert Holmes wanted to make Yellow Fever even more darker in story and tone than Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons. Yellow Fever was rejected by the BBC heads and was scrapped altogther with the unmade season of Dr Who in favour of Trial of a Time Lord (1986). This story had all the hallmarks of being up there with Caves of Androzani as Robert Holmes's best Dr Who Story of the 1980's.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Paul McGann in the 11th Doctor’s TARDIS!

Is this an old pic from filming Night of the Doctor or is a McGann spin off a possibility?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcgann-tardis.jpg (70.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th March 2014, 01:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
We shouldn't forget that during Colin Baker's period as the Doctor, a story was going to be commissioned called Yellow Fever and How to Cure It written by the legendary Dr Who Writer Robert Holmes.
The other unfilmed stories for this season were: 'The Nightmare Fair', (by Graham Williams) which would have seen the return of The Celestial Toymaker,'The Ultimate Evil' (by Wally Daly) and finally 'Mission To Magnus', (by Philip Martin) which would have seen the return of both Sil and The Ice Warriors with 'Yellow Fever' being the final story

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th March 2014, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The other unfilmed stories for this season were: 'The Nightmare Fair', (by Graham Williams) which would have seen the return of The Celestial Toymaker,'The Ultimate Evil' (by Wally Daly) and finally 'Mission To Magnus', (by Philip Martin) which would have seen the return of both Sil and The Ice Warriors with 'Yellow Fever' being the final story
After reading the Target books for these i really don't think we missed much.
Old 11th March 2014, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Yes. I still feel that the "missing season" of Dr Who was probably going to be the best season of Dr Who of the 1980's. Another one missing from above was another ambitious story which I believe was released by Big Finish audio. The Hollows of Time was written by Christopher H. Bidmead, and certainly would of been dark and followed the violent, dark format of Revelation of the Daleks and vengence on Varos. A few others I believe were being considered at the time as stories was The Children of January by Michael Feeney Callan which did get commissioned on Feb 6th 1985. League of Tandreds by Peter Grimwade had been considered as well but was abandoned around 1985. Even a story by Gary Hopkins which had not been given a title but was set in and around a nuclear power station with an unknown alien force controlling the workers at the nuclear power plant.
Old 11th March 2014, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This site specializes in lost stories for those interested. The Hidden Planet - The Colin Baker Era
Demoncrat and hivemind like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!