LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2016, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Day the earth stood still.

One of the most well knowing and iconic b movies of the 50s. Go with a more scientific and realistic approach than most of the other films of the time also the alien is not some big headed monster bent on world domination and destruction but has come to warn and help us. Captures the paranoia of thetime . a true classic. 9.7/10
I don't think i've ever seen it.

I have seen the remake and it kinda put me off seeking out the original.
Old 3rd September 2016, 03:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think i've ever seen it.

I have seen the remake and it kinda put me off seeking out the original.
The remake is pretty unremarkable, but the original is fantastic Dem.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi films of all time.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The remake is pretty unremarkable, but the original is fantastic Dem.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi films of all time.
Cool list. Although where's The Final Countdown?

Silent Running and Altered States are two others i've never seen. The UK dvd of Running appears to be 1:33:1 so that's out and Altered States is only available on dvd-r.
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sep 1st:

Invaders from Mars (1953)

1950s classic Cold-War era paranoia with a Martian twist as a young boy witnesses a strange vessel land outside one night and then everyone he know and loves starts acting strangely. A film I'd wanted to watch for a while but had never gotten around to, luckily Sci-Fi September came along to save the day as this is nicely paced, well acted with some fun effects work.

68/100

The Man from Planet X (1951)

While watching for a planet that may collide with earth, scientists stationed in Scotland are approached by a visitor from outer space. The film offers some interesting ideas in regards to the rogue planet and the alien visitor, an ambassador to our planet whose mission isn't entirely clear... and whether he comes in peace or whether he is here to enslave the human race. However, replace the alien aspect and transpose it a decade earlier and you have the makings of one of Universal's lower tier monster pictures, in terms of style and mood at times. Also, despite clocking in at just over an hour the story does fizzle out a bit towards the end. Still, worth a look for '50s sci-fi fans.

52/100

First Men in the Moon (1964)

Three for three in the first time viewing department, First Men in the Moon is based on a H G Wells story with added '60s-ness. The world is delighted when a space craft containing a crew made up of the world's astronauts /lands on the moon, they think for the first time. But the delight turns to shock when the astronauts discover an old British flag and a document declaring that the moon is taken for Queen Victoria proving that the astronauts were not the first men on the moon.

Unfortunately the pre-adventure of the men finding the British flag is phenomenal and gripping stuff, however the main adventure itself is a little more trying and not nearly as exciting as the opener unfortunately. Luckily, Nigel 'Quatermass' Kneale co-wrote the screenplay so the script is pretty sharp, albeit a little drawn out at times. Luckily (again) there are some nice Harryhausen visual effects to behold in the latter portions of the film too, so the film is definitely worth sticking with and an enjoyable watch overall.

59/100
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Cool list. Although where's The Final Countdown?
I'm still yet to watch it!

Quote:
Silent Running and Altered States are two others i've never seen. The UK dvd of Running appears to be 1:33:1 so that's out and Altered States is only available on dvd-r.
Silent Running has a gorgeous Blu from Eureka (not sure if it's dual format??) in its intended aspect ratio and Altered States has a nice Blu from Warner in the US. Two more reasons to go Blu, Dem.
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great stuff, B_E. Well worth the wait.

I can't remember if i've seen the original Invaders from Mars. Pretty sure i picked it up in a set with the remake and four others.
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Great stuff, B_E. Well worth the wait.
I charge £4 a word. You can wire the money to my Swiss bank account.

Quote:
I can't remember if i've seen the original Invaders from Mars. Pretty sure i picked it up in a set with the remake and four others.
The remake is another I need to check out. I may pick up the Final Cut Blu at some point if I can find it cheap enough.
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:47 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I think it's wonderful, one of my all time faves.

I have a Martian Ambassador figure which i picked up from one of the bargain stores soon after the film came out for a fiver. They go for silly money now.
I did enjoy it a great deal, I just don't think it's aged very well.
I'm trying to get my flatmate to watch Serenity with me later but I'm not having much luck

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2016, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I charge £4 a word. You can wire the money to my Swiss bank account.

It's all negative equity at the moment though as you still owe thousands in fines for mentioning A**** *****r, T** **o and R**** ****** ******* ***w.

Sorry!
Old 3rd September 2016, 04:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sep 2nd:

Track of the Moonbeast (1976)

Professor "Johnny Longbow" Salina, a man who really knows his stews, introduces Paul Carlson to the practical-joking Kathy Nolan. Paul and Kathy seem to hit it off rather well but, during a meteor storm, a meteorite fragment strikes Paul, burying itself deep in his skull, which has the unpleasant side-effect of causing Paul to mutate into a giant reptilian monster at night and go on murderous rampages. It turns out that this sort of thing has happened before, when Professor Salina rediscovers ancient Native American paintings detailing a similar event many centuries ago. Kathy, however, still loves Paul, and tries to save him.

This falls somewhere in among all those terrible creature features and Werewolf knock-offs that the late '70s and '80s seemed to collect. Plus, I've long known to take film posters with a large silo of salt, however the monster depicted above looks damn intimidating and 'science-fictiony', especially when the reality is in fact a cross between the Creature from the Black Lagoon's uglier brother and a Silurian.

On the bright side, I've co-incidentally also knocked another film off of my Nightmare USA to watch list.

41/100

The People Who Own the Dark (Último deseo’) (1976)

A group of rich businessmen and military officers who are partying in an old castle are spared when a nuclear war ravages the earth. When they venture out into the nearest town to search for food and supplies, they find most of the residents blinded, and soon they discover the existence of a sinister group called The People Who Own The Dark.

A sort of Last Man on Earth meets *insert generic survival film here*, this one boasts Naschy being a lovable asshole (although remarkably he stays fully clothed throughout), doe-eyed socialites and post-apocalyptic gun-toting mayhem. The formula is pretty cut and dried and tried and tested, however it has 'something' about it and that coupled with the downbeat ending meant that this one was hovering around 7/10 territory before I settled on the below rating. I have a feeling that this is one that will improve with future re-watches though.

64/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!